Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tips needed for breaking a fast
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 06, 2009 03:07PM

So, I fasted for the first time early this week - went 40 hours and had a little water a few times. It was great and something I plan to do a couple times a month and eventually build up to maybe doing a longer one once in a while. The problem I encountered was in breaking the fast. I ate a cucumber, then later a banana, and then all hell broke loose! I started eating pasta, bread and even had a few of those disgusting frozen pizza rolls (which is something I have never eaten, even before going raw). It was just weird, because I've been eating mostly raw for over a month and haven't had many cravings up to this point.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Maybe also some ideas on certain foods to eat after the fast to avoid this in the future.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tips needed for breaking a fast
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 06, 2009 04:44PM

maybe next time start off by drinking some fruit juices like melon, or something non citrusy .. well for me citrus on an empty stomach doesnt feel good but you might be different .. anyways the fruit juice should help with the carb snarfing (bread, pasta, rolls) smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 06, 2009 09:28PM

I break a water fast by transitioning into a juice feast lasting a few days or more.

Posted by: shane ()
Date: February 06, 2009 09:53PM

I break my 40-hour fasts with small meals of light fruit -- berries are great. I look at fasting as learning a new skill. Sure, you're going to make mistakes along the way just like you would in the pursuit of any new skill. Don't sweat your pasta, bread and frozen pizza meals -- your body forgives you! And the great thing is as long as you're still alive, you have more chances to eat the meals you would rather eat!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 07, 2009 02:23PM

Thanks for the great ideas! I will definitely be more prepared next time with lots of fruit. I think having a plan will be the key for me to be able to overcome this.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 08, 2009 08:50AM

hi bluetoad
live'n learn
have a BLAST living and laughing smiling smiley

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: February 11, 2009 03:29AM

I'm wondering about this as well... my dad said something to me about swimming underwater and how it took him a long time to get past the fear of it in the mind... as if it wasn't hard to not breath... but the mind sort of freaks out...

and I think this sort of happens when we fast... especially when water fasting... i wonder if the mind overeacts...freaks out and thinks you are starving and wants to eat anything in sight even junk... compensating for the missing nutrients... it could be emotional nutrients as well... food is a very emotional thing... it could be your inner mom desperate to comfort you... it is the mom who is our primary feeder yes??? or some part of you that is desperate to be fed... parasites might also be an issue... craving to be fed through you...

easy steps... I agree with Jodi... juice fasting nourishes while still cleansing...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables