Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

hemoglobin
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: February 10, 2009 12:47PM

Hi!

I am looking for that post that got a link to when some mice got injected with chlorophyll and got their hemoglobincount up with just that. I cant find it.

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hemoglobin
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: February 10, 2009 03:33PM

I remember they did experiments like that back in the 30's but am not aware of any credible published studies showing that connection. Hans Fischer hypothesised similarities between chlorophyll and the pigment, "heme". Somehow that got misconstrued over the years to the point where authors claimed similarities to hemoglobin, which to me is a huge stretch. Here's Hans Fischer's paper, which is too technical for me but sums things up in plain language in its conclusion.

[nobelprize.org]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 10, 2009 03:42PM

This is a link from a discussion had many months ago in a post titled, "Chlorophyl Instead of Blood":

[www.noblood.org]

Hope it helps!

Date: February 10, 2009 05:17PM

Haha, some freaked over the title, "Chlorophyll instead of Blood", a thread questioning the INGESTION of chlorophyll (NOT its injection), as a possible alternative to taking a blood transfusion. Injection of chlorophyll could cause injury!

Mouse studies are of questionable value, but if one is interested in studies on the INGESTION of chlorophyll, they are out there.

Here is a recent study: [www.nrjournal.com]
(click at the link for the full text)

"...Finally, understanding uptake and metabolism of chlorophyll by intestinal tissues would also begin to address other physiological implications of chlorophyll absorption including potential interplay with structurally homologous porphyrin derivatives such as heme and cytochromes."

..as stated for the hypothetical link between CONSUMPTION of chlorophyll and "potential interplay" with heme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2009 05:25PM by loeve.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 13, 2009 04:28AM

Thanks for the most excellent link, Loeve. Free full paper, too!

I guess it's already been discussed that the structures of chlorophylls and heme are similar.

chlorophyll

heme

(rotate the heme 45 degrees in your mind to see that they are very similar except for the iron vs. magnesium, also some of the attachments at the outside are different).

Date: February 13, 2009 01:53PM

> Thanks for the most excellent link, Loeve. Free
> full paper, too!
>
> I guess it's already been discussed that the
> structures of chlorophylls and heme are similar.
>
> chlorophyll
> [www.benbest.com]
>
> heme
> [www.tulane.edu]
>
> (rotate the heme 45 degrees in your mind to see
> that they are very similar except for the iron vs.
> magnesium, also some of the attachments at the
> outside are different).

Yes, cool diagrams showing chlorophyll and heme share porphyrin ring structures. As you say, Arugula, the attachments are different. The following link shows a space-filling diagram of chlorophyll-a, revealing the molecule to be elongated.

[en.wikipedia.org]

In contrast, the heme molecule is globular in shape. For a space-filling diagram of heme:

[en.wikipedia.org]

I believe the OP was looking for studies on the actual injection of chlorophyll into the bloodstream of mice. Someone actually observed two guys injecting wheatgrass into their veins at Hippocrates, which I think we all agreed is dangerous. Consumption of chlorophyll is another matter.

Here's a recent post illustrating what is out there. It also may answer the OP's original question.

Posted by: vasilisab (IP Logged)
Date: January 18, 2009 10:30PM

"You also might want to check out the Wheatgrass Book or just read up on wheatgrass juice online. You mentioned that you were anemic, so information in there might help. Here is a quote by Ann Wigmore from that book that compares chlorophyll and hemoglobin:

"Years ago, Dr. Hans Fischer and a group of associates won a Nobel Prize for their work on red blood cells. During their research, the scientists noticed that human blood, which carries oxygen to all our cells, is practically identical to chlorophyll on the molecular level. In the human body, red blood cells are characterized by the oxygen-carrier, hemoglobin, which has as its central nucleus the mineral element iron. Most green plants, on the other hand, are characterized by chlorophyll, which has magnesium as its nucleus. A careful examination of the two molecules shows them to be strikingly similar.
In 1930, Dr. A. Zin showed that an injection of chlorophyll increased the red blood cell count of animals with normal hemoglobin counts. Scientists J.H. Hughs and A. L. Latner of the University of Liverpool went one step further. In their study, reported in the Journal of Physiology in 1936, a number of animals were made anemic by daily bleeding. After their hemoglobin levels were reduced to less than half the norm, the animals were divided into ten groups. Five of the groups were fed various types of chlorophyll in their diet. The five groups of control animals did not receive any chlorophyll. Those animals receiving “crude” or raw, unrefined chlorophyll were able to increase the speed of hemoglobin regeneration by more than 50% above average, to approximate their perceiving synthetic chlorophyll showed no improvement in the speed of hemoglobin regeneration. In their report, the scientists concluded: “It seems, therefore, that the animal body is capable of converting chlorophyll to hemoglobin.” Raw, unrefined chlorophyll seemed to be the best for this purpose.
Chlorophyll was formerly used by some physicians to treat anemia. But even if you’re not anemic, an increase of red blood cells could mean better circulation and oxygenation to the cells, and rapid body cleansing. My empirical evidence has shown this to be the case. And since oxygen is quickly used up in the many body functions it is responsible for (the brain body), the infusion of it into the blood via wheatgrass juice, among other things, stimulates an improvement in the immune system-our natural means of preventing and healing illness. In other words, the blood becomes richer and the body healthier by its use."

"also check this website for more information on that: [www.wheatgrass.com]

"Green juices are great, but still wheatgrass can be a great addition to your diet."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2009 02:05PM by loeve.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: February 14, 2009 11:18AM

thx thx thx thx thx thx guys!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables