Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

suppressing salt
Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: February 14, 2009 01:02AM

I ear it is better for one's health, so today I tried to suppress salt. Well...my salad tasted like nothing. I put lemon instead and I could barely finish my meal. How you guys do you do that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: suppressing salt
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 14, 2009 01:06AM

i would suggest that you don't eat anything that doesn't taste good

meaning don't eat a salad if you don't like the taste

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 14, 2009 02:55AM

Like Madonna said - express yourself don't suppress (repress) yourself.

fresh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i would suggest that you don't eat anything that
> doesn't taste good
>
> meaning don't eat a salad if you don't like the
> taste

Or you could be proactive & make your salad taste good (with a dressing w/ a pinch of salt).

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 14, 2009 03:04AM

I eat my salads with a bit of dried or fresh seaweed (plus lemon juice and cold-pressed olive oil).

Date: February 14, 2009 03:53AM

Sounds delish, seaweed's a great salt substitute if you can afford it!

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: February 14, 2009 04:48AM

If you give it a few days, your taste buds might come around. Then when you eat salt again it will taste too salty.

Date: February 14, 2009 06:52AM

communitybuilder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds delish, seaweed's a great salt substitute

Hi Narz. Thanks!

(I'd prefer to think that salt is a substitute for seaweed though.)

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 06:53AM by suncloud.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 14, 2009 07:26AM

I make a salad dressing by blending avocado, tomato & celery together. As an experiment you could try that and see if you like it.

Date: February 14, 2009 07:30AM

That sounds GOOD, EZ rider!

Date: February 16, 2009 03:33AM

avocado, tomato and celery, good mix !!! I might try it

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 16, 2009 03:41AM

I've tried the avo/tomato/celery route and I am sorry to say that I prefer EVOO, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. A little bit does something special to a salad. I consider it a necessary vice, a tiny one at that, since it makes the huge salads go down so easily.

I've also done half and half of one and the other and that works, too.

Date: February 16, 2009 05:13AM

arugula

I've also done half and half of one and the other and that works, too.

Thats a good idea to help someone find a salad dressing that will work for them. smiling smiley

Date: February 16, 2009 05:36AM

PS to my post above:

Sometimes compromise can be a good thing if it makes the difference between something working and not working. Possibly adding just enough non-raw salad dressing to raw salad dressing would be an OK compromise ? Kinda reminds me of the idea of "moderation in all things".

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 16, 2009 06:28AM

Try this salad dressing:

juice of 4 valencias
1-2 ribs of celery
1/8 cup ground sundried tomatoes (get the unsalted sundried tomatoes)
handful of cilantro
1/4 cup ground hemp seeds (or other nuts/seeds)

Blend all ingredients. The sundried tomatoes and the hemp seeds can be ground first in a coffee grinder or Tribest if your blender isn't that powerful.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 16, 2009 09:56AM

One's taste buds change over time. I used to think that i would never eat a salad without an oil and vinegar dressing - never, never. BUT after a while of raw or mainly raw it just became too oily and now i enjoy my salads without any dressings at all.

Regarding salt - i never reach for that any more either but i used to. I watch with some fascination now at the quantity that i see other people putting on their food.

Things change and i think you should eat salt if you really want it at the moment - you might find you eat less as time goes by. Did/do you eat a lot of ready made meals as they have HUGE quantities of salt in them and 'train' one's tastebuds to accept and desire lots of salt.

Date: February 16, 2009 11:09AM

I had to have vinegar dressing and soya sauce. I've ditched the dressing, and have cut right back on the salty soya sauce. It just became too salty, and I'm beginning to really enjoy the different raw food flavours now.

IMHO, just keep on adding what you like to make your raw meal palatable. That's got to be better than returning to cooking your food. Your tastes may change sooner than you think, as it's just a natural progression I believe.

My tip is to eat the foods that you don't mind the taste of raw, and don't worry too much about what food is high in this or that nutrient etc. You might find, like I have, that what was unpalatable formerly becomes tasty. I now like raw spinach, which I used to loath.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 16, 2009 03:06PM

I dispense with "salad" altogether and just eat stalks of romaine or fronds of leaf lettuce out of hand, rolled up like cigars. I can really detect the sodium in them this way, and don't feel the need to add salt. Bryan's dressing idea sound fantastic; the hemp seeds must make it creamy and rich tasting, and sundried tomato is very robust.

Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: February 17, 2009 01:16AM

I agree with the suggestions to add celery to your dressings. It took me a week to enjoy salads without salt. First day I thought I'd throw up because the salad tasted so bland. By the end of the week I wondered why I'd ever needed it.

I was lucky though, because I know people who needed at least a month to adjust to the lack of salt. So be persistent and be prepared to consciously eat and deal with a few bland tasting meals until you lose your salt addiction. As the body clears out the excess sodium from your blood and cells, you began tasting the natural salts in your food more.

Now I pretty much don't eat salads at all (like Tamukha described) and the plain lettuce and celery has very detectable saltiness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 01:25AM by doghouse reilly.

Date: February 17, 2009 01:48AM

Thank you for all your great suggestions.

My goal really is to adjust to no salt. But, yes, the salad tastes horrible that way. And as it is my "main dish"at night, so... To cut salt may have me avoid all greens.

Nevertheless, I'm decided at eating bland for sometines until it becomes confortable.

Last year, in my three months raw food try, I had to put oil, ACV and soya sauce in everything to be able to eat raw salad. LOL, I had forgotten about my soya sauce kick! Now, I can't bear the saltiness of soya sauce. At all. Since that time, I was thinking I could'nt go beyond the lemon/oil dressing.

I let you know how it goes.

Love

Cynthia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables