Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

a beginner, doing the raw food switch alone, advice?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 18, 2009 12:22PM

So, this is my first day attempting a life style change to the raw food world....I have no support here, I have no clue the secrets, the in's and out's, the anything to this way of eating except for choosing raw fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds etc. I get that. But my concern here is because I am the only one around me taking the raw food steps, how on earth will I submerse my self into the social world of dining with friends and family? Yes, I know, this way of eating takes a toll on social life, but there's got to be ways around this, even if it makes me 75 % raw....I would like to know better alternatives to choose while dining out......anything would be helpful. I'm sure this has been posted before, but there are so many messages to sift through, I gave up! I appreciate every single one of you because, at this point, you are all the support I have and I'm so very thankful for that, you can't even imagine! Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a beginner, doing the raw food switch alone, advice?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 18, 2009 12:32PM

I hear your concerns. Eating and showing care does NOT have to only be through food. If YOU are confident and support others...then they will usually support you. Those that do not have...ummm...other issues.

The watchword is PREPAREDNESS. Eat before you leave the house....and bring a snack (water, an apple, some nuts, a bag of grapes, etc.) You should always be FULL when you arrive somewhere...and never hungry.

-You should be prepared by understanding it will be YOUR job to support others and be kind to them. AND to establish boundaries in a polite way and not discuss your diet....even with family and friends....unless it is a respectful one-on-one conversation in private. Never discuss it critically...or in public groups.

-The standard answer is: "I'm not hungry...but I still want to hang out with you guys." Or use any other answer that lets your friends and family know that you are there to spend time with THEM...and not with the food.

-Don't expect people to understand YOUR dietary choices or approve of them. They probably won't.....ESPECIALLY restaurants. Just commit to not eating at the restaurant...and be OK with that. You CAN try to order just fresh fruit...or an all-veggie salad or something....but this usually creates more of a bother and stir and inquiry than necessary.....and forces un-needed explanations. I find it is better to bypass that drama completely. Not my style.

-In my opinion, if YOUR diet is not an issue for you....and you establish that privacy boundary....then it will not be an issue or an item of discussion for others unless YOU wish it.

-Power to you!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 18, 2009 03:42PM

DZM,

Awesome advice, as usual!

Kimber,

I find that if you are genuinely confident about your decision to be raw, people will likely sense this and want to cooperate with you. I agree with DZM that you should be polite about asserting your new way of doing things and that, while you must kindly gratify your family and friends' earnest concern for you, you are never required to explain anything sensible that you are doing to better your health to anyone. I do recommend that when you go out, even if you're bringing your own food, you should always ask if there's a way the kitchen can accommodate your diet. I used to work in food service, and I'm sure that, as long as it's not a fast-food joint, this wouldn't be a huge big deal for the average bistro or Italian place or whatever. It may not be DZM's style smiling smiley, but it's a good habit to get into to make this small request. Just be confident in making the request, and no complicated explanation to anyone should be necessary. Keep track of the places that are friendly to your lifestyle, and patronize them. That way, an avenue of socializing you're expecting to be closed off will stay open. Hopefully, your family will see how determined you are, and will do their best to make things easier for you. I'd also recommend that you check in here often; it's a great help and comfort and there's tons of useful/interesting info. Good luck!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 18, 2009 04:20PM

kimberlee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, this is my first day attempting a life style
> change to the raw food world....I have no support
> here, I have no clue the secrets, the in's and
> out's, the anything to this way of eating except
> for choosing raw fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds etc.
> I get that. But my concern here is because I am
> the only one around me taking the raw food steps,
> how on earth will I submerse my self into the
> social world of dining with friends and family?
> Yes, I know, this way of eating takes a toll on
> social life, but there's got to be ways around
> this, even if it makes me 75 % raw....I would like
> to know better alternatives to choose while dining
> out......anything would be helpful. I'm sure this
> has been posted before, but there are so many
> messages to sift through, I gave up! I appreciate
> every single one of you because, at this point,
> you are all the support I have and I'm so very
> thankful for that, you can't even imagine! Thank
> you!

Hi Kimber,

I was right there in your shoes a month ago.
My boyfriend was supportive but still..when the detox
symptoms hit, my relationship took a hit too..that part was rough.
Fortunately with my friends I'm known to be an adventurer.
I announced my 30 day trial on face book with updates etc. I made it fun
and informative. I found people were very curious but never judgemental. Seems everyone is looking for a healthier way. I think it's all in your demeanor and
how you feel about what you are doing.
CB

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables