Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Yo - Raw Guy....a great smoothie for you....
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: July 03, 2006 03:24PM

The simplest thing in the world. Tasty, cleansing, and has never left me feeling sugar spaced. I like to start the day with it when I'm doing fruit.

IN your Vitamix plop

I pink grapefruit
2 leaves of kale
a big ol' handful of spinach
I like to add some drops of stevia (I use NOW Company brand - but that's me)
Some parseley - a small handfull

Blend that puppy and enjoy. My favorite clean way to start the day.

You can also add flax seeds if you are into that.

You go, Guy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yo - Raw Guy....a great smoothie for you....
Posted by: RawGuy2000 ()
Date: July 03, 2006 03:37PM

Sounds... Interesting, heh.

I will try that. Anyone else every try that?

So Green Smoothies don't always have to be just of greens and veggies? It can be of a fruit as well?

What fruit is NOT good with a Green Smoothie?

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: July 03, 2006 04:49PM

I try not to do citrus and greens in a smoothie. I find if the fruit is too acidic then my body has trouble digesting it. I found a great recipe recently and it contains two bananas, 1 apple, 1 leaf of kale, 2 cups of ice. I added to this 2 tb of hemp seed and it came out totally yummy with just a hint of green but loaded with enzymes.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 03, 2006 09:21PM

A fruit smoothie with a pound of greens -- YUM.........!

My favorite thus far:

arugula
spinach
kale
cantaloupes
peaches
apples

Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go whirry
Be happy! winking smiley

Posted by: RawGuy2000 ()
Date: July 03, 2006 09:30PM

So Green Smoothies can consist of apples and peaches and fruits like that, correct? I guess with alkalizing forming type of fruits. Strawberries on the other hand wouldn't be so smart to mix with them. What about oranges? Does anyone have a list of good fruits to use with it?

Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: July 04, 2006 02:46AM

I detest arugula, I want to gag when I consume spicy mustardy greens which is funny because I love cooked spicy food!.........I hope I learn to love nutritious arugula one daysad smiley

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: July 04, 2006 01:06PM

In my humble opinion, there are NO RULES for smoothies!

Oranges and kale, lemon and spinach, grapefruit and beet greens, IT'S ALL GOOD!

Strawberries, coconut water plus some coconut meat, papaya, watercress, spinach with flaxseed, ginger and cinnamon, ZOWIE!

Cantaloupe seeds plus one eighth melon, apple, banana, kale, 1/4 raw beet, celery, parsley, ginger and cinnamon, FANTASTICO!

Banana, pineapple, mango, coconut, beet greens, cucumber, flaxseed, ginger, and cinnamon, IT RAWKS!

Get the picture? Fruit, greens, water, ice, hit the switch and give yourself a MAJOR TREAT at breakfast! Or lunch, whatever ;-)

I never use less than 4 cups greens in mine, and always ginger and cinnamon, but that's me.

Experiment, have fun, be creative, make something you'll like to drink or you'll be tossing it and then you don't get the benefits of it!

Enjoy!

PS: no offense meant, but arugula in salads I love. Arugula in smoothies (like I had on Sunday) is not for me. At all. Now, cilantro in smoothies works for me... It's all personal taste.

Date: July 04, 2006 03:44PM

24c,

That's breaking the major rule. Melons, of any kind, should always be eaten alone. Why, you ask, well they contain more water than any other fruit and digest faster. Combining them with other things taxes the digestive system and causes a form of putrefication to occur when digesting with other fruits. The same applies to mangos. You have to be very careful what fruit you eat with them because the same thing will occur.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

I would have to say that Marcos' experience is not mine
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: July 04, 2006 04:48PM

My grapefruit and greens makes my body feel better than almost any other combo. Bottom line, Raw Guy - experiment. Pay attention to your instinct - pay attention to your instinct about what others tell you. Try something, then observe - I keep a written log from time to time of what I eat and how it makes me feel about forty minutes to an hour afterward. Then you will know for yourself and will not be being pounced from pillar to post in confusion. Your answers are in you. I trust YOUR knowing for you!

Question EVERYTHING and everyone. YOU find out for yourself. We'd all love to have a set of laws that we can trust. I've never found them from ANYONE else. Find yours and then share them with US! I'd love to hear what YOU discover works for YOU!

Love,

Piano Gal

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 04, 2006 05:01PM

When something new and good comes along, people will overuse it without any consideration. When Fit for Life book was published years ago, most got into eating fruit only until noon, it took years to find out that allthough fruit was a good thing too much of it was not optimal. Now we have green smoothies and people think them can throw in anything. There are many vegatables out there one can use with green leaves to make them eaiser to eat. I do not use fruit in my smoothies, I use carrot and seeweads. When I eat fruit, it is only fruit, nothing else.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 04, 2006 11:08PM

yeah
greens straight
way to go

ooooooooooooooh ahhhhh aaaaaah
yummy yummy greens for me tummyeee

Date: July 05, 2006 12:34PM

One of the first rules that we learn about food combining, and the only one I truly observe, is that melons are to be eaten alone. This includes watermelon, honeydew, cantelope, casaba melon, or any other kind of melon you can think of. They do not combine well with other things and should only be eaten, blended with other melons. I am faithful to this rule with melons and mango's. However, I'm a little more flexible with mango. I have tried blending mango with other fruit and literally threw it up within the hour because of the high water content of the mango compared to other things. The same applies to melons. Someone here posted as recipe for a watermelon soup. It made me absolutely nauseaus and it stayed down for all of an hour. Yes, it was good, but it goes back to that old rule that nothing but melons should be combined with melons.

Peace,

Marcos

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables