Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Scientific evidence: Organic produce is more nutritious
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 23, 2009 07:31PM

This study by researchers at UC Davis concluded that organically grown produce "far surpassed their conventionally grown kin for vitamins and beneficial micronutrients, such as the antioxidant flavonoids quercetin and kaempferol..."

[www.sciencenews.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scientific evidence: Organic produce is more nutritious
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 23, 2009 09:28PM

Thanks for posting! I read a couple of years ago that the USDA's own laboratories discovered that raw produce can have several hundred times as many bioavailable vitamins and cofactors as conventional produce. Which I interpreted to mean that conventional produce is nutritionally torpid. Great.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 24, 2009 01:06AM

Good article - thanks. smiling smiley

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 24, 2009 12:54PM

Unfortunately much more expensive as well.

Us "little" people can't afford it.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: February 24, 2009 02:42PM

Where there's a will there's a way.

Date: February 24, 2009 06:15PM

arugula,

Where do you live that organic produce is out of reach? I thought you lived in a warmer region of the States . . . no organic vendors at farmers markets? It distresses me that raw foodists especially can't get organic produce. Something's gotta be done about the next Farm Bill, by god!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 24, 2009 10:41PM

I didn't say they didn't have it in my area. There is some. Mostly it comes from the other side of the continent.

I should have said, it is available, but I can't afford it. Maybe when I am fabulously well-to-do. But it will still be unfair to those who aren't.

Date: February 25, 2009 12:47AM

arugula,

What I meant is, unless you live in a desert region, aren't there organic local farms that you can buy affordable shares in or volunteer at in the summer for cheaper produce? I'm sorry if that's not so. I have the impression that there are small regional movements springing up all over the country, whose purpose is to increase the number and breadth of activity of CSAs and urban garden associations. Perhaps that is yet to happen where you live. And I do worry about the fact that stuff is being trucked across the country, but mostly because I don't know that petroleum from enemy states isn't fueling the trucks that transport it, which belch horrible pollutants into our air, nonetheless. I hope that you are able to bring more organic good stuff into your life in the future, arugula smiling smiley

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 25, 2009 06:41AM

It's encouraging to hear about the efforts that Tamukha speaks of. Where I live people are able to buy affordable organic produce at the farmers markets, and we're beginning to see organic community garden plots.

Much of the produce donated to food banks here - or directly to families in need - comes from organic farmers.

Hopefully, opportunites like these will become more prevalent.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: February 25, 2009 03:20PM

You don't have to be fabulously well to do to eat organic. We grow a lot of our food, I do member hours at the local co-op for a substantial discount on everything they sell, and we shop farmers markets in the summer and fall and barter when the opportunity presents itself. Hubby also works part time at the co-op and we get culled food all the time. I know time is often a hindrance, but could you get a part time job at your local co-op or store that sells organics, or work on an organic farm during the growing season for a few hours a week in exchange for food? Some farms offer work share CSA's with no cash involved and you don't have to work a lot of hours to do this. We're starting our own farm and will be offering this as an option for a few lucky people.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables