Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
stopping the aging process scientifically
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 16, 2009 11:33AM

So many people here think that there is some vast conspiracy to keep the news about proper diet under wraps or something.

But we know what works.

Read the last line.
[www.abc.net.au]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stopping the aging process scientifically
Posted by: paulieGB ()
Date: February 16, 2009 01:05PM

Thanks for the article.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 01:10PM by paulieGB.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 16, 2009 01:59PM

how about a low protein diet?

nah

too easy

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 16, 2009 02:10PM

From the article

As people age their cells become less efficient at getting rid of damaged protein resulting in a build-up of toxic material

I would think cooked protein would be "damaged" protein.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 16, 2009 02:45PM

This sort of thing is put forth by the chemical-industrial conglomerates (you know, the same people who bring us pesticides, herbicides, radiated food... all the crap that gives us cancer... so they can then sell us chemotherapy to treat the cancer they gave us).

Most people are too ignorant and/or lazy to realize it's much simpler. Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. Exercise. Meditate. Avoid commercial culture that fills your head with delusions.

I love this food.

Most people love Big Brother and their Big Macs and their tv shows and the habit patterns of their deluded minds.

[www.dhamma.org]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 16, 2009 03:13PM

Cuervo believes maintaining efficient protein clearance may improve longevity and function in all the body's tissues.

It is also possible that the same kind of "cellular clearance" can be achieved through diet, she says.

Research over the past decade has shown that restricted calorie intake in animals, including mammals, significantly enhances longevity.

"My ideal intervention in the future would be a better diet rather than a pill," she says.

I predict Dr. Cuervo will never be heard from again . . .

Date: February 16, 2009 03:36PM

LOL!!!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 16, 2009 06:04PM

So many people have been programmed to be like a friend of mine who said to me recently: "People should go to the doctor every six months." (I thought to myself, 'Why???"winking smiley When he mentioned that he needed to lose about 30 pounds and I suggested cutting sugar, salt, and/or and dense carbs out of his diet for starters, he said "Oh, really? I never even think about it," (meaning he never considers the connection between his health and the stuff he puts in his mouth).

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: February 16, 2009 07:45PM

It blows my mind that with all the information out there so many people have no idea of the relation between what we eat and our health.

Date: February 16, 2009 08:10PM

Yeah... ditto to Sundancer and Kwan.

When I have to, I tell people I eat mostly unprocessed fruits and vegetables and they look at me like either, (1) it does not compute, or (2) I'm a freak. When people bring in donuts to work, or head out to a fast food joint, I feel really lucky that I don't have to do that.

People are so habituated. It's incredibly sad. I feel really lucky to have figured this out.

I don't know if what I am doing now will make up for all the health mistakes/injuries of my past and my genetics. I just know I feel better eating this way.

Date: February 16, 2009 08:16PM

[ would think cooked protein would be "damaged" protein.]

Yes, that's part of it.

More specifically in the case of accumulating damage in the cells from the dirtiness of the diet, it's when these damaged proteins hook up with sugars and link up with long-lived proteins in the body, all this junk is accumulating in and outside of the cells and the lysozomes and other garbage processors can't get rid of it. And as our kidneys get older and unhealthier, we are less able to get rid of this junk as well.

But other types of junk accumulate from non-dietary aspects of aging. For example, our DNA replication gets faultier with age, and the defective proteins that ensue aren't as good at their jobs as they should be, so we accumulate more junk that way, too. Plus we accumulate mutations by aging and from lifestyle, sometimes we are born with a bunch of them, too.

Date: February 16, 2009 10:06PM

Lee_123

I feel really lucky to have figured this out.
Me too. smiling smiley

I don't know if what I am doing now will make up for all the health mistakes/injuries of my past and my genetics.
I am confident that given the opportunity the body will do its best to re-gain optimum health & wellness or as close to it as it can. Mentally I picture it like an inflatable Bozo clown that I had as a kid. I could hit that clown and it would roll over but it always come back to the upright position if allowed to. The body is amazing - it can be abused and it will keep coming back to the best health condition it can if we do our part and provide the conditions for good health.

Date: February 16, 2009 10:10PM

I love the mental image of the inflatable Bozo!!! ha ha ha

Thank you!

smiling smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 17, 2009 08:02AM

yeah the bozo image is very good
if we give our cells what its asking for ( just like bozo the clown just asks for some pumped air and not diesel gasoline to inflate it) it will keep coming up

yeah those scientific claims are hilarious
well, they aren't exactly claims per se

it just seems like a hoot
such article titles that say that scientists have stopped or discovered how to stop the ageing process

people discover things for themselves by inquiry and taking action

Posted by: shane ()
Date: February 17, 2009 08:50PM

Arugula, what diet do you think she's suggesting? And about protein: I get around 60-70 grams of plant protein a day. How much is enough, and is the plant protein we get sufficiently bioavailable? Also, do you think this article suggests that limiting protein may be better in terms of increased healthspan?

Date: February 17, 2009 10:15PM

I think she is implying the general calorie-restricted, nutrient-dense diet. She doesn't suggest that dietary protein should be not overcooked (Vlassara and her colleagues do), nor does she suggest that dietary protein might be restricted for lower risk of cancers (as Fontana's papers seem to hint at).

If you do all three, my suspicion is that it will be healthier, provided you don't develop deficiency and are eating enough to feel good and have lots of energy and exercise.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 18, 2009 10:28PM

Very interesting...
Thanks for the article. I was wondering if exercise affects the body's aging process at all. Specifically, what do you think that ideal (or minimum) amount of exercise is needed by the human body for optimal existence? Thanks so much, I really appreciate your input

Date: February 19, 2009 01:38AM

I don't think anyone knows for certain, but I think we need both aerobic exercise maybe 2-3 hours total over several sessions in a week and weight-training exercise (maybe 1-2 hours total over several sessions in a week) to reduce incidence of many diseases, to help maintain healthy body weight, to combat (or possibly reverse) sarcopenia, to keep the bones strong and healthy.

I am not sure how much is too much, I have read conflicting studies, but I suppose if you are feeling tired and stressed over your routine it may be a good idea to back off a little until you feel better again.

Date: February 20, 2009 06:02PM

The article wasn't really clear in suggesting any sort of health regime.

Does the liver really have difficulty breaking down denatured proteins? The body pretty much denatures (breaks apart) the proteins anyway, right? They can't be utilized until they're broken down, right?

Also, the body makes most of it's own protein, not sure how much of a difference a protein restricted diet would make.

But whatever makes you feel good about what you're doing I guess. Stress is the worst degenerator.

Date: February 20, 2009 10:03PM

The liver just removes nitrogen from amino acids.

Most protein digestion takes place in the stomach and the small intestine.

The kidneys are the ones that are responsible for filtering out the unusable proteins and glycotoxins (which contain proteins with attachments). In the normal kidney, 90% of these are filtered and end up in the urine. But if the glomeruli are damaged, as in the case of type II diabetes, obesity, and some genetic immune system diseases, the filtering devices are damaged so less of the bad stuff is filtered and more of the good stuff is let through and urinated out. With time, more and more damage takes place and it escalates until people lose their kidneys.

A certain amount of kidney damage is expected to take place with normal aging and the normal diet. And of course it depends on what you define as normal, if normal means SAD you will see more damaged kidneys at earlier ages and start thinking of that as medically normal and part of the "normal" aging process.

But I am almost positive that with a lower protein, high raw, low junk diet, the kidneys will last longer and the body as a whole should age at a slower rate.

Reduction of dietary AGEs has been shown to prevent increased oxidative stress and age-related kidney lesions. Remember that low-AGE high calorie diet compared to the high-AGE low calorie diet study? The low-AGE group had less lesions in the glomeruli than the high-AGE, low calorie group.

Date: February 20, 2009 11:07PM

Its been reported in the Bible that people used to live a lot longer, some of them getting to be a thousand years old. I wonder if eating raw had anything to do with that ?

Date: February 21, 2009 12:16AM

If it isn't confirmed, it's a fairy tale.

The longest confirmed lifespan was Jean Calment's--she died at age 122.

from wiki:

"She gave up smoking only five years before her death[10] at the age of 117 years. Though she relapsed for a year she finally gave up smoking at the age of 119 years (blindness made it difficult for her to light a cigarette, and she was reluctant to ask others for help).[citation needed] When asked on one occasion for her prescription for a long life, she mentioned garlic, vegetables, cigarettes, red wine, and avoiding brawls. On another occasion, she ascribed her longevity and relatively youthful appearance for her age to olive oil, which she said she poured on all her food and rubbed onto her skin, as well as a diet of port wine, and nearly 2 pounds of chocolate eaten every week.[7]"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2009 12:22AM by arugula.

Date: February 21, 2009 02:25AM

CR with optimal nutrition is the only proven method to increase longevity. Nothing stops the aging process. The question of what optimal nutrition means remains mostly speculative. We can say "eat a wide variety of raw plants" and keep your calories low, but I don't think the science exists (yet) to say CR with raw veganism is the answer.

Date: February 21, 2009 02:35AM

"Cuervo believes maintaining efficient protein clearance may improve longevity and function in all the body's tissues.

It is also possible that the same kind of "cellular clearance" can be achieved through diet, she says.

Research over the past decade has shown that restricted calorie intake in animals, including mammals, significantly enhances longevity.

"My ideal intervention in the future would be a better diet rather than a pill," she says."

I wonder what that better diet would look like? I wonder what restricted calorie intake means in terms of numbers?

Date: February 21, 2009 02:50AM

shane

I wonder what that better diet would look like?

I think it might be a CR diet of fruit and WG & celery juice. The fruit would provide the carbs needed plus many other nutrients along with lots of fiber and the WG & celery juice would provide a plethora of nutrients.

Date: February 21, 2009 03:04AM

[I wonder what that better diet would look like? I wonder what restricted calorie intake means in terms of numbers?]

The best group we have to study is the Okinawans who made it to 100. Females averaged around 1150 calories a day, males were maybe 20% higher (these were generally tiny people, restricted in size as well from semi-starvation during growth). Foods eaten were in approximately descending order by calories:

sweet potato, rice, other vegetables, soy, fish, oils. About 90-95% of the calories were from plants and about 15% of the calories from protein, about 20% from fat.

Modern Westerners who practice calorie restriction are all over the place with fats and proteins. Some of them think that carbohydrates are deadly. Some of them think that they need more protein because their diets are calorie restricted and protein assimilation is easier when calories are high.

They are not all vegan but usually at least 85% plants. But one thing they all have in common is meeting the RDAs or at least getting close, for everything and they tend to eat a lot of vegetables, not so much fruit. They are more likely to have another couple of servings of cooked vegetables rather than reach for an apple.

I lean more towards the lower side for each of protein and fat.

But at this point I have to say that in the literature if there is one most important predictor of who will make it to 100 it is in choosing the right parents. If both parents are in the late teens or early 20s the kid will probably live longer, all other things being equal. If the parents are older, their genes will already have accumulated lots of mutations which will have an adverse effect on lifespan of any progeny.

Date: February 21, 2009 11:00PM

When asked on one occasion for her prescription for a long life, she mentioned garlic, vegetables, cigarettes, red wine, and avoiding brawls.
avoiding brawls, I love it! grinning smiley

If both parents are in the late teens or early 20s the kid will probably live longer, all other things being equal. If the parents are older, their genes will already have accumulated lots of mutations which will have an adverse effect on lifespan of any progeny.
Way to reign on my parade arugula! My mom was almost 40 and my father over 40. Guess it's good Jamie got herself knocked up early on...

Not that I really give that much of a fluck about living to 97. I think due to societal collapse we're going to see a drastic overall decrease in lifespans similar to (but more severe than) what's happened in the former USSR. If climate change lives up to the worst predictions none of us under 50 will live to 90.

Date: February 22, 2009 12:09AM

[I think due to societal collapse we're going to see a drastic overall decrease in lifespans similar to (but more severe than) what's happened in the former USSR.]

I agree. It hits people hard in their 40s and 50s when they lose their safety net, a lot of them are too tired to start over again and acclimate to their new lower living conditions. They just give up, it's too stressful, and they start drinking like fish.

[If climate change lives up to the worst predictions none of us under 50 will live to 90.]

That will also be a contributing factor. Even if the economy weren't in a shambles, climate change will make it increasingly difficult and expensive to maintain the standards of living to which we've become accustomed.

I've been living like a pauper for the better part of a decade despite all my stuff. I still wish I had less stuff, less to have to maintain and worry about. But I wish I had more money--security, to be able to fix things when they break, pay the hospital bill, etc..

Date: February 22, 2009 12:33AM

Yeah, our throwaway society really sucks. It's a sad matter of fact that a great many things (majority probably) are easier & cheaper to replace rather than fix.

One more quick question arugula - if kids born to old parents have more genetic defects wouldn't kids born to young parents who were themselves born to old parents have just as many defects as the kids of old parents who were themselves born to young parents?

Posted by: cy ()
Date: February 22, 2009 12:54AM

what is weird is that the majority of people don't consider organic food as a good
idea because it is expensive. They would rather buy stuff non-organic and go to the doctor and buy medication than buy organic and clean water.That's really weird for me.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables