Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Starting Out - appetite issues & a typical day's diet
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 18, 2009 05:32AM

Hi there.

I've just read some fantastic stories on another site about women who've had their fibroids disappear after sticking it out on a raw diet. Besides having a problem with fibroids, I have a few other ailments I'd like to disappear with a magic wand if I had one, so I'm considering trying the raw food avenue. I went vegan for over a year, then relaxed into vego with the occasional meat dish (when I realised the vegan avenue hadn't reduced the fibroids). I have now recently had to move in with my folks temporarily, so am back to eating a very meat-based diet and I don't think it's doing me much good.

Anyway, my basic question here is: How do raw foodies keep your appetite appeased? I'm not sure how I would keep from being hungry all the time without grains in my diet. Loads of nuts?

Could people please post a really brief idea of what/how (e.g. grazing all day rather than a few big meals) they'd eat during a typical day?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Starting Out - appetite issues & a typical day's diet
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 18, 2009 08:50AM

MonkeyGirl

Hi - great for returning to the vegan path and raw too. You might find what people typically eat in a day a bit disconcerting for you at the moment if they have been raw for a long time because as one goes on one tends to refine the diet so much. When you first start going raw it is called the transition time and this often includes a mix of cooked and raw foods. Very often people eat heavier, denser foods like lots of nuts, oily dressings in the beginning and then gradually find that they do not care for them so much after time.

Sometimes I am not raw all day but I ALWAYS am until lunchtime - this is because i find that it suits me so well - so a typical day for me will be:

2 pieces of fruit - today it was 2 pears - then i go for a run.

Mid morning wil often be a post run juice such as apple, celery and cucumber.

Later will be a big fruit smoothie - 2 bananas, few berries or a peach or what ever is about.

Then i graze on fruit for the afternoon -

in the evening a big salad with avocado and masses of salad things - no dressing.

Some people make clever raw soups and 'pasta and sauce' but i don't. I tend to just chop and eat. ha ha

I find i don't get hungry if i eat enough - lots and lots of lovely fruit - you will come across a range of opinions about this so you just have to work out what is best for you!

Some folk are very strict about how many times and when during the day one should eat but i don't worry about that at all and certainly when in transition i don't believe it is helpful.

It might help you to remain vegan if you extend the reasons to be vegan beyond your own health issues to animal welfare, feeding the world, waste of precious resources etc. I find all these to be huge factors in my own life.

I wish you all the very best with your raw quest

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 18, 2009 10:38AM

MonkeyGirl

Anyway, my basic question here is: How do raw foodies keep your appetite appeased? I'm not sure how I would keep from being hungry all the time without grains in my diet.

Avocados work for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2009 10:41AM by EZ rider.

Posted by: joewood ()
Date: February 18, 2009 10:42AM

Hi,

I just started 1/1/09 & have been 95% raw most days & 100% on others with absolutely no meat. My wife & son are still eating cooked dishes so I can relate to how challenging it is to change in a meat-eating,cooked household. My typical daily menu is this (I'm a nightshifter-3days 12.5hrs). I wake up at 2pm to get my son at school. When I get home around 3pm I have either a smoothie of spinach & pears or a bowl of kashi cereal. When I start work at 7pm I have a bowl of red grapes along with a glass of green tea. For 'lunch' at 1130pm I have either cabbage with lemon squeezed on it or some zucchini pasta with peppers. Then at 430am I have a grapefruit b4 I go home at 730. I go right to bed when I get home.

What has surprised me most about raw foods is how little I seem to need to satisfy my hunger. I'm still about 20lbs overweight having lost 20lbs. I haven't started exercising yet because I'm still pretty toxic.

Whichever path you choose it will be a marathon, not a sprint along with some slipups. I pray this post helps..

Joe

Love is patient, love is kind, it is not self-seeking, love ALWAYS protects,always endures. (1corinthians 13)

God IS love!! (1john4)
Jesus Christ...... The ONLY way to Heaven.
I am the Way, the Truth & the Life..(John 14:6)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 26, 2009 01:17PM

Hi flipperjan, EZ rider and joewood!

Thanks for the info!

Going part-cooked, part-raw to begin with makes a lot of sense. Probably much easier on the stomach to break it in slowly.

Avocadoes - oh, yum. And anything with a blended banana is delish!

And flipperjan, I certainly don't agree with meat-eating when considering the wider implications. I've been on and off vego/vegan since my teens, but have had all sorts of health issues that seem to make it all a bit problematic - e.g. low iron causing fainting/convulsions, then stomach problems, .. I can't quite believe how long I lasted the last time I went vegan, and I really enjoyed the food (!) but it was a highly restricted diet at the time due to other health issues. So when I found out one of my lumps had grown rather than shrunk, I just threw in the towel and had a bit of a 'woe is me, give me a cheeseburger and double sundae, thanks' period. I'm over that. But those first few days/weeks of trying to start again can be hard!

Anyway, cheers for all the info, everyone!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: February 26, 2009 01:30PM

You might want to get a good supplement with B12 and iron, too, at least until you know more about, and have established a habit of, implementing the nutrients into your diet via raw foods (I've found there is a lot to learn). Also, a big, fat fruit smoothie with kale and ground flax seeds in the morning keeps me full until lunchtime. Good luck!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables