Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

natural spring water vs filtered water
Posted by: adrian ()
Date: February 27, 2009 02:07AM

hello everyone...this has probably been discussed before, but what's your opinion on which is best. I've been hearing a lot about natural spring water, daniel vitalis and getting it from source. not that it'd be easy to get to springs all the time (or anytime), but I'd be curious to see if drinking it felt different to me...though my concern is contaminants. does spring water have pesticides and other chemicals? I thought it did. I've been drinking reverse osmosis water, which probably isn't the best, but okay I guess. what do you all think is the best water?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: natural spring water vs filtered water
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 27, 2009 02:33AM

[www.allaboutwater.org]

You might as well drink tap water. Prevent use of all that extra plastic.

Date: February 27, 2009 04:13AM

interesting, thanks.

what if one goes to the spring and collects it themselves? so you know it is really spring water, not tap water in a bottle. i've been reading about some raw foodists doing this. although another problem is storing it in plastic....that, and the whole idea doesn't seem very workable, finding springs and driving out to them all the time.

but, in theory, I liked the idea of natural fresh water...except how uncontaminated is it? my guess is there's too much pesticide/chemicals...but I don't know. I've been trying to find how contaminated spring water is, just flowing from it's source...haven't found the info yet though.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 27, 2009 04:16AM

[what if one goes to the spring and collects it themselves?]

There are lots of natural springs where I live. But there are also lots of dairy farms. Nitrite levels are unacceptably high.

With tap water generally the source is far from contaminant plumes, although that is not always the case. But, there is at least rudimentary treatment and standards.

I think tap water is safer.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 27, 2009 07:54AM

adrian

what's your opinion on which is best.

In My Opinion the cleaner the water the better. Junk that is in the water including suspended particulates has not been incorporated into a plants structure and become one with a plant. The body will have to eliminate junk from the body that is unwanted and is unrecognizable foreign debris.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 27, 2009 08:40AM

I used to live high on Dartmoor and our water came out of the well. It was massively high in copper and tasted disgusting, very bitter. Not all fresh, spring water is what you would like it to be.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 27, 2009 10:39AM

Stick with reverse osmosis, as it filters out all contaminants including the dreaded 'sodium fluoride'. You won't get the minerals you normally would with natural ground water, but you won't get the nasties either.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: February 27, 2009 12:41PM

You can always have the spring water tested. I don't think it is super expensive. I had my well water tested in 1990 and it was really good, other than a lot of calcium, which I filtered out.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 27, 2009 04:57PM

Agree with Sundancer--have the spring water tested. Nothing is as safe as it seems anymore.

I'd never drink tap water again after the hideous fluoride toxicity I developed guzzling it as a preschool teacher in my twenties. Oh, my poor thyroid! I hope it's recovered by now! I drink reverse osmosis filtered water and eat mineral-rich foods to compensate for the stripped minerals. I'm looking for a source for 3 gallon glass containers to store it in, but the plastic in which I keep it is relatively stable for now. It's always something, adrian . . .

Date: February 27, 2009 11:58PM

thanks everyone, your input helped me.

I think if I happened upon a very clean spring, it'd be okay...but I guess I'm more for the filtered water still.

Posted by: shane ()
Date: February 28, 2009 05:02PM

I drink tap water. We are choking on our own plastic, and the big cola companies have done this planet a huge injustice.

Posted by: HealthNVitality ()
Date: February 28, 2009 05:14PM

I agree that we all want to reduce our consumption (and thus production) of plastic.

Also, any water can be filtered, including spring water.
I prefer to filter all water that I use for drinking and bathing.
In fact, after filtering, I often add the extra step of distilling the water.
Since the history of the water is important, it is best to begin with good spring water.

The approach of filtering delivers higher quality and better economics.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 03, 2009 01:57AM

I would take filtered over spring if for no other reason than coming from a spring is no guarantee of health. What if the spring is contaminated as many wells are supplying people with drinking water? Remember Perrier and the benzene. I drink filtered water at work through my Pur filter (prefer Pur to Britta). So, I don't create a lot of plastic (other than the spent filter cartridge). But I'm not sure if I did a life cycle analysis of spring vs. filtered that the energy required to extract and transport the spring water to market would be any better than getting filtered water from the tap. It's kind of like paper vs. plastic. Bringing your own fabric bag to the grocery store is the best way. My 2 cents. Really like the forum btw. I'm new.

Paul

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: March 03, 2009 07:14AM

This is the thread I always direct people looking for water filters to:

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 03, 2009 02:25PM

Welcome, pborst! You'll find it lively and informative!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 03, 2009 04:18PM

My opinion:

If your goal is to get a lot of minerals, this should probably be done through food. Thus, water is all about the purity of the water (and the 'structure'...if you believe in such things).

So: I tend to go with Reverse Osmosis water (from the machines at Walgreens). These are drawn through the municipal tap water....and then run through reverse osmosis, UV & charcoal filtering. I then leave it in the sun to 'restructure' it (just a personal belief). I think water of this type would be very healthy for you, and not at all expensive. Just my opinion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables