Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Calories absorbed from veggies?
Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: March 03, 2009 07:41PM

Does anyone know how many calories are actually absorbed when you eat veggies? For example, I just had a huge salad (1 head romaine, 2 tomatoes, 4 stalks of celery, 1 cup brocolli). How many calories should I add to my daily value? I've heard that we don't absorb all of the calories from veggies?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calories absorbed from veggies?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 03, 2009 08:22PM

It is a good question. My thought is that calories are a scientific measure of how much energy is potentially in a food. How much of that energy is actually able to be utilized by the organism is definitely not static. Some folks eat a huge amount of calories...and poor foods....and maintain a slim physique and high energy/fitness levels. Are the using/absorbing every calorie?

-In short, I see no reason why you would not absorb the same or more of the caloric value from fresh, raw foods.....than you would with processed foods.

-To be safe, YOU may wish to eat more calories of fresh, raw foods than you did eating SAD...until you are sure you are able to maintain the weight and fitness levels that you wish.

-Just some tips.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: March 03, 2009 08:43PM

I do eat about a 85% raw food diet, and have been for about 1 year now. I'm just wondering, cause I"m thin, and I like to make sure I"m getting enough. It just makes me feel better and secure for now. I know it's silly, but it makes me more comfortable in the world. Thank you for your post.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 03, 2009 09:28PM

There is reduced metabolizable energy in a high fiber diet. I think if what you are eating is bulky you could estimate that only 85% +/_ a few percent of your calories will be uptaken. The rest will go down the toilet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables