Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How fresh is our raw food?
Date: March 08, 2009 06:35PM

Got some questions on fresh fruit/veg!

Is there a way of telling how old the fruit/veg is in supermarkets/markets?

Is there a cut-off point on selling produce e.g. do apples have to be sold with X days of being picked?

Can fruit/vegetables seriously be considered 'raw' if they were harvested and stored a long time prior to being eaten? Obviously they're not cooked, but being raw isn't just about eating non-cooked food, it's about enzymes too...

Thanks smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How fresh is our raw food?
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 08, 2009 07:17PM

suspendedindefinitely

Is there a way of telling how old the fruit/veg is in supermarkets/markets?

If you get home from the store and you bite into an apple you just got and its "mealy" then you can fairly accurately determine that the apple has been sitting around in the store for a long, long time.

One thing you can do to get fresh produce is to buy what is in season.

Posted by: windy ()
Date: March 09, 2009 11:35AM

I read somewhere that when you buy an orange here in Finland.. You can't even be sure what YEAR it was harvested!

It is sad. But I hear most fruits are harvested when they are still raw and then they are kept cool while transporting/storing.

And just prior they are brought to store for selling they are artificially ripened with a gas that makes fruits ripen fastly.

Just wondering how much more vitamins & enzymes the fruits would have if they were harvested & eaten when ripe. as they should.

Some countries also treat their export fruits with radiation so that they will store better.. No radiation is left to the fruits, but some vitamins are destroyed,, I read that for example about 30% of vitamin C can be destroyed with radiation during that treatment..

PS: Sorry for my bad English.

Posted by: jericho sunfire ()
Date: March 09, 2009 03:26PM

Yep , that's why going on those sites that tell you the nutritional content of foods/produce is pointless because they don't know what the quality of the fruit you have in your hand is like.

JS

JERICHO SUNFIRE-BASIC TRAINING
www.jerichosunfire.com

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 09, 2009 03:46PM

Sometimes I feel sad over how much produce is probably thrown out if it never sells.I mean,there are starving kids in the world!

Vinny

Date: March 09, 2009 07:36PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

EZ Rider:
>One thing you can do to get fresh produce is to buy what is in season.

In farmers markets, I trust buying what's in season but I was in a supermarket last year and they were selling strawberries from overseas when they were in season! The UK overflows with strawberries, and they were importing them! What a waste of resources!

Windy- your English is great smiling smiley That must be very strange- knowing an orange could be so old! What kinds of fruit/veg can you grow in Finland?

As far as the nutrition data goes, is there anyway of tracking down how accurate the data is i.e. there are so many different types of apple, surely they can't all have the same nutritional breakdown. Where would someone even begin trying to find the background behind this data?

Date: March 09, 2009 07:39PM

Vinny- it is very sad, I agree. There is a fruit & veg seller out on one of the main roads where I work and he throws fruit/veg away by the side of the road. I would be tempted to take it, but the way he disposes of it doesn't look very sanitary sad smiley

Cadburys were giving away free chocolate bars on the high street today. Why can't companies give away free fruit and veg!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 10, 2009 02:33AM

[ Why can't companies give away free fruit and veg!]

In a perfect world, fruit and veg would be free.

We'd have to pay for nuts and seeds. We probably don't "need" them if we are eating enough f+v but they do taste good and they add something special.

There wouldn't be any "value added" foods or corporations to profit from them.

Everybody who wanted to work would have a job.

Health care would be free, but hardly anyone would need it.

We'd all be walking or riding our bicycles for transport.

One of the things I liked a lot about the "The Green Beautiful" movie link that the now-banned Narz posted (you can look it up on youtube) was that the smart people rebelled against anything that was bad for the planet and quit buying those things. They saved their planet and themselves.

To bad we aren't smart enough to do that, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables