Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Best diet for low blood-sugar?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 08, 2009 06:50PM

Hello everyone,

I have really bad hypoglycemia and its sucking the life out of me! I also have very compromised digestion so the popular recommendations to eat several meals a day, each containing protein, complex carbs and fat to control blood sugar is a total nightmare to me. Due to my poor digestion I have contemplated a fruit-based diet, but have heard so much conflicting information on what this type of diet would do for blood sugar. Does anyone have personal experience controlling blood sugar with a raw-foods diet and/or a fruit-based diet? Thanks in advance for the help and advice- I am so thankful for this forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best diet for low blood-sugar?
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: March 08, 2009 07:32PM

Hi there... yes i have had trouble with hypoglycemia... and actually just read about it in the book i am reading The PH Miracle... what he said so far was that if you are loaded with bacteria and parasites and yeasties... they feed on the sugar that you need causing you to have the low blood sugar and then to boot... they give off mycotoxins and acids which they love to live in causing an overly acidic system which is a cess pool for other problems...for them to flourish..... eating and alkalizing diet is the key... mostly raw... eating more protein and such won't help if you are feeding the little guys and not yourself... so also cleansing your colon with raw foods and juicing and replacing the probiotics..and feeding them with prebiotics to help them grow...so YOU get the nutrients... YOu should check it out
cause it is an interesting take on the whole idea of healing...

blessings

love laugh and dream

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 08, 2009 07:50PM

Eating mono-meals will help with compromised digestion. Make sure your fruit is ripe, and that you have enough calories in your meal to meet your energy needs. A mono-meal is a meal of only one kind of fruit, say like a meal of 6 bananas.

Also, keeping the fat low or even no fat until your digestion is healed is a good idea. This will help increase the ease of digestion and give your body more energy for healing.

After you heal your digestion, you can eat more fat if you need it.

Also, cut out all digestive aids, herbal remedies, or superfoods while you have impaired digestion and your body is trying to heal.

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: March 09, 2009 10:53PM

Davalexandra,

I want to give you a great, cohesive response but my time and energy is limited so this will have to do. I was convinced that I couldn't eat a high (primarily sweet) fruit diet - aka 10-8-10 - because of hypoglycemia, sugar intolerance, etc. I started out on the raw lifestyle as a means to help feel better. I ate myself into a stereotypical high fat (60+%) and high salt raw diet.

I started shifting to 80-10-10 and incorporating sweet fruits - mostly as mono meals or in smoothies. My conclusion, I feel better than I ever did. My energy is higher, I feel more mentally centered and focused, and I don't crave sweet, salts, fat, and SAD junk-food temptations that I once used to. As a matter of fact, I am doing better around 10% fat than the 20-25% I started with to transition.

I too have struggled with a number of digestive disturbances. The mono, fruit-heavy meals have helped tremendously. (I still am struggling with a large amount of intestinal gas that I inquired about in another post. I found a homeopathic remedy that has brought some relief. Other than that I feel great.)

I hope this helps.

Patty

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 10, 2009 05:27AM

sewraw

I still am struggling with a large amount of intestinal gas

The practices I have found that help:

1) food combining
2) mono meals
3) waiting for a slight return of hunger signal before eating more food

Also I have heard that a digestive enzyme supplement can help but I have never tried that because I found my answer in the 3 practices listed above.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 10, 2009 11:41PM

All your responses are SO HELPFUL and it is a relief to have some confirmation that my intuition regarding this situation (though it is contrary to most health/medical advice) is not off-base.

I am so thankful for those who lend their knowledge and experience to others on this forum, and for the responses that remind me that I am not alone with these issues (or my desire to improve them on a raw foods-based diet).

Thank you thank you THANK YOU for all the responses so far. They are right on target for me.

xo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables