Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

hemp sprouts
Posted by: Ebhak ()
Date: March 05, 2009 08:31PM

anyone try these? in your experience, are they yummy and do they digest well?

IMO not exactly necessary or ideal as a daily item per se, but am still interested in any who have experience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hemp sprouts
Date: March 06, 2009 06:36AM

no hemp lovers?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 06, 2009 10:26AM

Illegal in the US unfortunately.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 06, 2009 02:29PM

It's not illegal in the US. I have hemp seeds in my fridge. They are hulled/shelled but still raw, not sure if they sprout.

They are delicious in a raw tabouli salad or to coat truffles. High fat but good protein content and good fats. I use the hemp oil, too, if I actually use salad dressing at times.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 06, 2009 03:55PM

The whole hemp seeds may be illegal in the U.S.; a quick search doesn't reveal a source for raw, unhulled hemp seeds. Don't know if the shelled hulled ones from Ruth's or Nutiva can be sprouted. But as Utopian Life says, they are delicious. Where are you, Ebhak? If you're in Canada, where our imported hemp is grown, you may be able to find a source for the whole seeds. Good luck.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 06, 2009 07:39PM

we can get them unhulled in the UK no problem. soak and sprout for a couple of days, no longer, cos they go bad after that - they're still in their shells u see... but they're great in smoothies/ burgers, etc. a little crunchy cos of the shells... but makes for a nice texture in burgers... I rolled some up last time I used them and made them into 'meatballs'... You can also get special hemp milk maker machines.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 07, 2009 03:03AM

you can get great quality hemp hearts at rocky mountain grain products 403-329-1380

not sure if they have a website ive always orded by phone smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: March 07, 2009 03:59AM

Are they irradiated? I've heard that hemp has to be rendered ungrowable in the U.S. (Is that crazy or what?) Or maybe that's been reversed.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 07, 2009 04:24AM

i dont think these are sharrhan but their up here in canada not even sure if they ship to usa .. i will call them on monday and inquire smiling smiley

i really love their seeds because they are nicely oily without being overly oily , no rancidity at all in all the orders ive had and never overly dry .. i hate overly dry seeds and nuts they are just lifeless in my opinion

they are in my opinion just right smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2009 04:26AM by Jgunn.

Date: March 07, 2009 04:28AM

Nah, the hulled ones will not be irradiated usually.

I know they are illegal in US.

Was asking for those from elsewhere or who've tried it regardless.

I've had the hearts, had the seeds, even soaked em, saw they started to come out after 1 day, was experimenting making a tiny bit of milk, but haven't tried sprouting them all the way, never sprouted anything actually. was interested in just the sprouts, no shells, mixed in /or eaten as salad or part of veg/salad like recipe.

So Lisa, have you eaten them as sprouts, took em out of the shell? As in let them grow a little? You would have to rinse and and drain and stuff a few times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2009 04:35AM by Ebhak.

Date: March 07, 2009 06:08AM

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not illegal in the US. I have hemp seeds in
> my fridge. They are hulled/shelled but still raw,
> not sure if they sprout.

That's my point homes, hemp sprouts are illegal in the US. If they sprout they're illegal. Stupid but true.

Date: March 07, 2009 03:44PM

it is illegal to sell viable hemp seeds in canada, i've talked with manitoba harvest about this. doesn't mean you can't get them though, even in the states. you just gotta try to sprout them until you have success. it's really very, Very easy to sprout hemp. there is a thread about it that i have contributed much technical info to and another poster has put up lots of pics on alyssa's website. it's that rawtalk one, look in the sprouting section.

Date: March 08, 2009 06:11AM

From researching various hemp seed exporters web sites,it's obvious that all hemp seeds imported into the United States must be sterilized to render them infertile not to be able to be sprouted.

Date: March 08, 2009 07:51AM

My question is not about that, it's for those who've tried hemp sprouts and wish to share their experience.

Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: March 08, 2009 07:30PM

I have hempseed too. Alot of it.
but I believe it is grown and de shelled in canada, and then pbrought to america..

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 09, 2009 11:22AM

ebhak
I've never tried to get them out of their shells, couldn't be bothered, it would take ages lol. I just eat them as they are in their shells, with a little sprout tail poking out... usually in salads, or blended. I've got a jar ready now actually, thinking about making some bread or something with them... just looking about for recipes...

Posted by: windy ()
Date: March 09, 2009 12:09PM

"I know they are illegal in US."

I dont know about US laws, but why would they be illegal?
There are 2 kinds of hemp.
One that can be made to a drug,
And the variety which we use, which cant be used to make drugs,

I assume you all are talking about the 2nd variety.. right?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 09, 2009 01:44PM

windy,

A long, long time ago, the gv'mnt of the U.S. of A. decided that all hemp was a menace--if not for drug-making reasons, than because it competed for market share with soy, corn, and cotton interests. The backers of these crops didn't like that, so all hemp was banned here. We have to get it from Canada, where hemp remained legal and has been grown for industrial purposes for decades. If you want to know why raw foodists must consider going on the black market to get viable hemp seeds for sprouting, please do an internet search for news of actor Woody Harrelson's long, fruitless battle to rescind the American ban on hemp. This must sound very silly to you up in northern Europe or wherever you are. It sounds silly to me here in Michigan, for that matter : )

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: March 11, 2009 07:37AM

I soak and sprout mine and then blend them in high powered blender and strain the milk out so the shells are left.

I use that pretty much daily, it is delicious

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables