Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Non-Organic Raw Food diet. Is it bad?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 10, 2009 01:26PM

Hi everyone,
I started raw food diet couple days ago and I think this is a huge step to a better life, but i have one nagging question. I can't affor buy organic raw products, it's to expensive for me. Qustion: is it not to bad to eat only non-organic raw? maybe i need to do a sort of regular cleaning (like fasting one day a week/month)? What do you think about it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2009 01:28PM by Stayn'alive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Non-Organic Raw Food diet. Is it bad?
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 10, 2009 01:44PM

There's plenty of us who can't afford organic. Many non organic fruits are beyond my budget.

Any fresh raw fruit and veg is going to be good for you. Enjoy it.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 11, 2009 06:24AM

try to find out if there is a farmer's market around your area. that might even save you money. =)

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 11, 2009 08:21AM

Obviously cleaner food is a good thing. That said it brings me to a question I have had about the plant's filtering system. I have heard it said many times that the water in fruits and veggies is some of the cleanest waters that can be found. In order to have clean water in plants the plants must filter what they take in ? If that is so then I would conclude that regardless of the gardening methods used the plants would be clean inside. I would be interested in hearing ideas and opinions about this as it has long been a question of mine.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 11, 2009 10:09AM

Well, the issue of "organic" is quite an interesting topic

In my opinion, at the very "loose" end of its definition, it simply means it hasn't been sprayed as much as non organic stuff has been sprayed

however, i am wondering about the quality of water

most tap water is abundant in tons of harmful organic chemicals
something in me says that i HIGHLY DOUBT that organic farmers filter their water as well

if they do, i want to know about it
i would be extremely interested

and the soil is another matter

can someone here ( perhaps an organic farmer?) tell me what analytical methods are employed in testing the soil?

this is an interesting topic indeed

any information is useful and i would be most grateful to continue this discussion and learn more

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 11, 2009 11:24AM

[can someone here ( perhaps an organic farmer?) tell me what analytical methods are employed in testing the soil?

this is an interesting topic indeed

any information is useful ]

Ask Kwan, she has deemed herself to be The Judge of analytical minds. But I think you'd be much better off with a water quality scientist than a farmer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2009 11:30AM by arugula.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: March 11, 2009 12:23PM

I don't know what methods are used to test soil. My hubby does, but he's at work (we're organic farmers and that's his department). I'll ask him later and respond. Also, water quality depends on where you are farming. Southern California's water is a lot more contaminated than say Northern California near the Sierras. Where I am in Massachusetts, it rains year round, so we aren't planning on irrigating at all, unless we have to, then we will probably build a runoff pond and irrigate from there. Our soil has not been sprayed; some of it was used for hay. Some farmers I know have organic farms right next to commercial orchards, so I'm sure that they get residual pesticides on their crops even though they are certified organic. If you don't know how clean the farm you get your food from is, wash it well regardless (I've used Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap). Some foods are sprayed a lot more than others. The internet has lists of most and least sprayed produce, so maybe you could buy the produce that is most sprayed organic, and others non-organic. These are great concerns and definitely worth considering.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables