Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sprouted Garlic
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 27, 2009 01:44PM

I like to sprout the Garlic I eat. I put the garlic bulb in a shallow bowl with a little water and then place it in a window to green up. In a few days it has a short sprout growing out of the top and is ready. The sprout is very green and has a concentrated garlic taste to it -- yum. I use the clove and its sprout in my salad dressings etc.
Now my question: I am wondering what the effect is on the Garlic as far as its healing properties are concerned ? [www.innvista.com]
Any thoughts, ideas, and/or opinions appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2009 01:59PM by EZ rider.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sprouted Garlic
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 27, 2009 02:20PM

Well, as you know, garlic is a broad spectrum antibiotic for bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites. The Roman army were given rations of garlic on campaigns, and put garlic cloves in their sandals and between their toes on long[fragrant]marches. The food scientists at Cooks Illustrated did some research on sprouted garlic cloves a few years back, and found they are higher in volatile compounds, and extremely acrid, but edible. In cooking school we were taught to remove the sprout from a clove and to discard it because it is far too bitter, especially if cooked, to be palatable. If you can tolerate the sprouts, and your digestion can too, I'd say--enjoy! Here's some biased info:
[www.garlic-central.com]
Here's some less biased info:
[www.sciencedaily.com]

As for me, I like garlic any way. I taste the sprout first to see if it's a bit bitter, or so bitter it will overpower my raw soup, say. That decides me on using it or not. I am curious to see if I can find garlic seeds to sprout, as I would assume these are even more nutritious.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables