Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

smoothies/protein powder
Posted by: jimtoo ()
Date: April 02, 2009 11:07AM

Hello all,

I've been away from the raw diet for a long time but lately coming back to it. I was suprised to find my username was still valid here after being absent for a few years. Anyway, I'm mostly just making a lot of green smoothies right now. My usual smoothie is made with bananas, berries, an apple, kale, flax seeds, and hemp protein powder (from Nutiva). The more I make, the more I crave them. I feel like I could live on these smoothies alone, and have been making them for breakfast and dinner.

I'm wondering though about the health benefits or lack thereof of the hemp protein powder, if that is a good choice or if there is something better. Maybe I should try to wean myself off of it and go without. I was reading about a hemp/flax seed powder made by another company, I think it was Genesis Today, that includes probiotics. Maybe that would be a better choice??

I'm also wondering about rotating greens. How important is that? I've been using two different types of kale (does that count as rotating greens) and mustard greens.

Thanks,
Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: smoothies/protein powder
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 02, 2009 03:45PM

My opinion on powders is that they have been highly processed. For that reason i don't want to include them in my diet. Also i see no need for them - I think i get everything i need from FRESH fruit and vegetables. I think it makes sense to eat a wide variety of greens - having said that i do not eat kales or brassicas at all. But i do eat a multitude of different salad leaves.

Date: April 02, 2009 10:14PM

I also like hemp in my smoothies smiling smiley I agree with flipperjan about processed powders- maybe you could try a a few spoons of hemp seeds instead? The fresh seeds give smoothies a slightly nutty texture. Strawberry, banana and hemp= delicious!

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 02, 2009 10:23PM

If you're concerned that you aren't getting enough protein, try adding lots of sprouts to your smoothies. Sprouts are very healthy, extremely vibrant foods, which are all high in protein. Greens are very high in protein too. For example, spinach gets the majority of its calories from protein, and most of the rest are fiber:

[www.nutritiondata.com]

Date: April 03, 2009 04:28PM

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i do not eat kales or brassicas at all. But i do
> eat a multitude of different salad leaves.

Why no kale? Taste or some other reason?

Date: April 03, 2009 04:32PM

I do include hemp seeds in most of my smoothies. I'm consuming so many of them right now that I'm beginning to wonder if one can live on them alone, and if trying to do so, at least long enough to get over some health issues (digestive stuff), are there certain ingredients I should be adding to ensure I'm getting the proper nutrition.

Thanks for the help.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 03, 2009 04:49PM

jimtoo

I'm consuming so many of them right now that I'm beginning to wonder if one can live on them alone, and if trying to do so, at least long enough to get over some health issues

Try to get some of the hemp seeds to sprout because as you probably already know the body does much better with live viable foods then it does with dead foods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables