Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

juicing questions
Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: April 08, 2009 03:13AM

I am on a juice feast and would like some juicy advice...
I have a Greenstar, a Vitamix and nutmylk bags, the usual suspects.

WOuld like to try tomato juice. How do you juice tomatoes? How about grapes?
Ripe pears are a squishy nightmare for the greenstar, too, LOL.

Do you juice the tops of radishes?

How bout carrot greens?

Any favorite juice recipes?

And lastly: having a bit of a hard time getting the greens down. Any combos that help? (I usually do spinach, romaine, parsley, kale, maybe cellery)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: juicing questions
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 08, 2009 03:36AM

I don't think grapes juice well? Or at least don't make a lot of juice. Same with blueberries!

I like beet greens; maybe carrot ggreens would be similar.

For my green juice, I like to do spinach/kale/collards, cucumber, carrot, parsley, cilantro, celery, romaine.

The tomatoes work fine for me in a regular juicer.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 08, 2009 04:10AM

Tomatoes juice really nice; I usually try to juice them with carrot, red pepper, celery, a touch of onion or garlic, etc.-- gives the juice a more well-rounded flavor and a richer texture. (Tomatoes, I find, make a kind of watery juice.)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 08, 2009 04:22AM

I juice squishy fruits like very ripe plums or peaches in my Champion juicer using the extra big holes screen that came with the juicer. It comes out in a "nectar" that is just delicious. Whenever I see very ripe fruit that is close to getting thrown out I try to make a "firesale" deal with the vendor and then juice away. Yummy.

Date: April 08, 2009 04:51AM

I just got the two screens out and looked at them side by side and it looks like the large hole screen has holes that at roughly about two to three times the diameter of the regular screen that I use for carrot juice etc. Here is a picture of the large hole screen [championjuicer.com] (click on enlarge). It was standard equipment when I bought my Champion many years ago and came with the juicer along with the standard screen and a blank screen for making "ice cream". It looks like the large hole screen may be an extra accessory now - not sure ? The large hole screen is just large enough to move the fruit skins and most of the fiber out but the juice comes out thicker so I call it juice "nectar".

Date: April 08, 2009 05:01AM

I just noticed that they have an "enlarge" picture of the both the large hole screen and the regular size hole screen so that you can get an idea of the size. Here's the links:

Large = [championjuicer.com]

Regular = [championjuicer.com]

Click "enlarge" for the bigger picture.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 08, 2009 02:24PM

Cucumber helps a lot. smiling smiley

Also adding some ginger root.

For those who's juicers have the small holes...consider a blender for the not-so-easy to juice things. smiling smiley

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: April 10, 2009 03:21AM

You guys raaawk! Thanks so much

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 10, 2009 07:11AM

hey cocoa nibs

green stars rawk when it comes to greens

but u kind of have to coaax i when it comes to the fruits

yep,ripe pears won't juice very well

firmer pears cut in small pieces and put in there slowly will be okay ( for a while... can't do too many)

there is also a screen that has bigger diameter holes for the greenstar as well
use that for the fruits

beet leaves are great to juice

for harder veggies ( like carrots and beets, ) u gotta cut em up small and push them in the chute a lot slower cuz the greenstars does soft leafy veggies best

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables