Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sumac
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 15, 2009 06:50PM

i have been using ground sumac as a condiment and it's delicious! sort of lemony-salty, it's really, really good. anyone else tried it, like it, use it? it's so wonderful. subtle but so flavourful. Yum!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sumac
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 15, 2009 08:05PM

I never have. I will try it now.

What sort of foods do you eat it with?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 15, 2009 09:06PM

I've used sumac a lot; this is a common spice in Arabic cooking and I'm in Detroit, where there's a huge Arab population and lots of good Arabic restaurants. It's the main spice in most salads from the Middle East, and gives them an unmistakable special flavor. If you carry a bit of sumac and sea salt in a baggie with you when you go out, order a raw salad without dressing and half a lemon on the side, squeeze the lemon juice over the salad and sprinkle on the sumac and sea salt and ta-da!--instant Lebanese salad! Yum! Sumac was used to make things sour in ancient times, before lemons started to be traded from what is now China. But I think it works really well with lemon juice as a condiment, so it's worth trying. Man, I think I'm gonna go have some right now!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 15, 2009 09:39PM

Yum...Thanks for all the info.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 16, 2009 06:23AM

When we camp out on Lovells Island every summer there are tons of sumac trees all over the place. One of the rangers used to make tea out of sumac; kind of like lemonade. Gee, I wonder if I could make a raw salad out of sumac? That would solve a lot of my camping food quandaries.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 16, 2009 07:12PM

the sumac i use is not from canada, apparently we get too much rain here and the flavour is very mild in sumac that grows in this climate. i have heard of it being used medicinally as a tea here but as for the spice, best to get the imported kind i'm afraid. it's so lovely on greens. i'm making some fermented beets right now, it will be very good with those over salad. maybe with marinated kale and/or broccoli... mmm,, getting hungry now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables