Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The 80-10-10 by Dr. Douglas Graham
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 25, 2009 12:48PM

I am interested only in chapter 7 (the one on fat.) Can someone summarize that chapter or upload it? I really don't want to buy the book just to read one chapter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The 80-10-10 by Dr. Douglas Graham
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 25, 2009 05:39PM

YaA,

I suggest you go to the library and copy Chapter 7. It's dense with information, and would be difficult to summarize without leaving something out[there isn't a lot of dross in Doug Graham's writing anyway--if it's text, it's essential]. Good luck!

Date: April 25, 2009 10:53PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> YaA,
>
> I suggest you go to the library and copy Chapter
> 7. It's dense with information, and would be
> difficult to summarize without leaving something
> out. Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestion, however his book isn't that popular to be at the library and is not even sold at local bookstores.

Date: April 26, 2009 02:33AM

OK, this is a reaaaaaally schematic summary:

Fats are important because they help you to retain fat-soluble vitamins, they allow you to feel satiated, they regulate hormones, and help to insulate your organs

There are overt fats; flesh, fatty fruits, nuts, oils, and covert fats; minuscule amounts of fat in fruits and vegetables

There are essential and non-essential fats,the former being Omegas 6 and 3; the ideal ratio of which is between 1:1-4:1

We don't need to consume cholesterol, as our bodies synthesize it(and,yes, we need it to be healthy)

Of mono-, poly-, and saturated fats, only the first two are necessary for proper functioning, as they are unstable(can accept further hydrogen molecules to make new fat as the body requires), unlike stable saturated fat which is unchangeable and unuseable therefore

We eat too much fat, yadda, yadda, and it can have a very detrimental effct on everything from blood sugar to hemoglobin platelet count(it literally can take up too much room in the bloodstream)

Oils are bad because they are fractioned from their source, say, nuts and can cause serious but subtle imbalances such as the two listed above

The caloronutrient fulcrum balances by limiting fats to 10% of all calories if female, and slightly below that if male

The WHO recommends 15%-30% of calories from fat; Udo Erasmus recommends 15%-20%; Dr. Ornish and Dtr. Pritikin recommend 10%

There are a few charts and things that I cannot summarize except to say they demonstrate how whoppingly calorie-dense a small amount of avo or macadamia nuts is. So it's easy to overdo calories from fats without achieving optimum fiber, water, or micronutrient values. The basic gist is you should get most of your calories from carbs, with a small amount of nuts and seeds every day or every other day for "overt" fat so as to not starve your body of EFAs and unsaturated fat.

Hope this helps!

Date: April 26, 2009 02:37PM

Thank you, it did help. I was interested in why he recommends 10 % and not the 15-20 % usually recommended.

Posted by: laniereed ()
Date: April 27, 2009 11:47PM

CAUSE LOTS OF RAW FOODIST ARE FAT AND UNHEALTHY[LONG TERM] AND WONDER WHY IT DOESN'T WORK AS WELL AS IT DID IN THE BEGINNING..............THAT'S WHY! TOO MUCH FAT...JUST LIKE THE SAD DIET..............80/10/10 TELLS IT LIKE IT IS FROM THE BEGINNING...............FATS ARE ADDICTIVE............IN THE BEGINNING I COULD EAT A JAR OF ALMOND BUTTER...............NOW IT WOULD KILL ME..........IN THE BEGINNING I THOUGHT I COULD EAT ANYTHING I WANTED AS LONG AS IT WAS RAW AND IN ANY QUANITY................NOT THE CASE ANY MORE...........I CAN'T HAVE WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT WHENEVER I WANT.............DOUG GRAHAM TELLS THE TRUTH FROM THE GITGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: April 28, 2009 12:20PM

lanie,

Agreed, but could you turn of the Caps Lock, please : )

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: April 28, 2009 11:09PM

Hi laniereed,

I'm a long term raw foodist (23 years this October), and I usually eat 20% - 30% fat from whole nuts, seeds, and avocado. I'm small, not fat (about 85 pounds).

I never eat nut butters. smiling smiley

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: April 29, 2009 05:31PM

Just eat less than 60-70% calorie-fat and you will make a better bodyfeeling. Some go as far that they just eat under 10%.

There are always different degrees in hell. ;-)

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 29, 2009 07:08PM

Yes, that's more or less what Doug Graham said in a recent interview:

Doug: Well, I dedicated a chapter in my book to this very issue. But I can put it in a nutshell for you even more to think of now that I could years ago. I agree with everybody who says that eating a lot of fruits will lead to candida issues if they consuming more fat than they should be, more than they can healthfully tolerate. If they are consuming 30-40-50-60-70, I have on tape several different raw food leaders proudly proclaiming that they eat 80 percent of their calories from fat. And that is just fine. If you are eating 60 or 70 percent of your calories from fat well then, you are going to run into issues with sugar metabolism. And the simplest breakdown of it, and I am sorry, if I leave out a few of the details here. If you need more let me know.

[ezinearticles.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables