Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw AT thru-hiker needs help...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 29, 2009 04:25PM

Hello, friends! I am raw vegan, and currently attempting to hike the entire Appalachian Trail (Georgia to Maine, 2,000+ miles)... I have come 200 miles so far, but have been having some difficulty obtaining sufficient calories to hike 15-20 strenuous miles per day. I came into Gatlinburg, TN from Clingman's Dome in the Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park yesterday, attempting to re-stock my food bag with higher-density, calorie-rich raw foods, but it's slim pickin's for a raw vegan here in these little southern trail towns!

I awoke yesterday thinking maybe I wasn't going to be able to fulfil this dream, and was feeling very low... but I've come too far from the 350 lb sick woman I once was to give up that easily! As I struggled up that last climb, the idea occurred to me to reach out to my fellow rawsomes. If anyone out there lives near the trail and might be interested and kind and willing to feed a hungry hiker (I'd be happy to work hard for a hearty living-foods meal!!!), or anyone further away that would like to try their culinary skills at mail-able trail food, please, please, please contact me:

Jeanette "Lucky Penny!"
diem.carper@yahoo.com

Thank you all so very much...
PEACE!
"Lucky Penny!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw AT thru-hiker needs help...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2009 12:27PM

hey sorry cant help you as i live in ireland, but maybe try posting on some of the other raw foods boards too? www.rawfoodtalk.com, www.giveittomeraw.com, www.goneraw.com etc?

also, what about sprouting on the trail? lentils and sunflower seeds, if you can get those. it wont solve your problems, but it might help, and also foraging. although lentil sprouts and foraged greens are not that high calorie...just high nutrient... lentils and sunnies are pretty forgiving though as far as not being rinsed super-often, and ive left lentils in a bowl of water without draining for a day or two and they dont seem to suffer any and the lentils seem to sprout in a day or so, so you could probably soak them in a water bottle then even sprout them in it..

good luck smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables