Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Digestive Enzymes
Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: May 11, 2009 02:49AM

SAD friends keep telling me I should get digestive enzymes, but I think if I'm eating raw I shouldn't need them. I heard papayas are great for digestion and see some in the store, though I need to research to see how to tell if they are ripe.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Digestive Enzymes
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 11, 2009 04:57AM

There is another way to deal with a challenged digestive system rather than using digestive enzymes, which you can become dependent upon. Instead, eat foods that are easy to digest, and follow the food combining rules so that foods digest with the least amount of energy.

Digestive enzymes allow you to eat difficult to digest foods (and one has to wonder if food is difficult to digest, is it really that great for you?). Rather than making the body digest foods that are hard to digest, find the foods (and food combinations) that the body digests with ease.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 11, 2009 04:00PM

wendysmiling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SAD friends keep telling me I should get digestive
> enzymes

Little funny when you think about it, SAD Eaters giving a raw foodist suggestions :O)

At any rate, Bryan said it perfect. BUT, you can try them somewhat comfortably. Different brands bring different results and if no change within a 1-2 weeks I'd drop them. If changes or help, keep up with them but get the diet where you don't need them.

Note though, so, so much depends on the digestive issues you are experiencing and your food choices to begin with. Eating a certain food for digestive ease or taking a pill is not the answer. Look more at the big picture of the diet choices AND your lifestyle.

Date: May 11, 2009 06:16PM

I agree... I don't want to take any pills. I printed out my food combining chart.
:-)

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: May 11, 2009 11:04PM

I believe raw apple cider vinegar is supposed to be good for digestion.. take a spoonful in a glass of warm water in the mornings.

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: May 11, 2009 11:22PM

Paw paw (papaya) have orange skins when ripe, there should be slight give in the flesh. I don't eat the skins. Enjoy.

Posted by: C. Dove ()
Date: May 13, 2009 01:01PM

I agree with Bryan.....but in reference to your papaya question,Ony green unripe papaya is high in enzymes. As it ripens,the enzymes diminish. The only time someone would truly need to take digestive enzymes would be if the pancreas was unabe to manufacture or secrete them.

Date: May 13, 2009 05:41PM

I stuck to the chart yesterday and had a great tummy day! :-)

WendySmiling in Oklahoma

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: May 14, 2009 04:59AM

You definitely don't need 'digestive enzymes', Wendy.

Since raw, my digestion has improved greatly. Sharp pains (which I used to call 'IBS') disappeared.

And I go to the loo two or three times daily instead of once-daily, and...it's a pleasure!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables