Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I'm just going to squish all my questions into one post. Here goes!
Posted by: SheThrowsDown ()
Date: May 14, 2009 01:22PM

Instead of making posts for all my questions I'm just going to start asking them here. I'll start with some I wrote down earlier smiling smiley Any help would be much appreciated.

1. Athletes- What percentage of your calories do you use for each macronutrient? And can anyone tell me if the 80/10/10 thing is good for those with high athletic aspirations?

2. Are rolled oats and/or kamut flakes generally raw? If so, or if I can find some that are, could I "cook" them by soaking? If so, how long would I probably need to soak them?

3. If I wanted to applesauce (to top #2s soaked oatmeal) how would I do that? Would I just stick chunks of apple in a food processor? Also can I use my f.processor to also make raw peanut and other nut butters? I'm trying to not spend too much on premade things if I can help it...I'm going to eat mostly raw whole foods and only want to spend a limited amount on "fun stuff".

4. How can I make raw (nut/seed) milk at home? I typically drink rice milk, sometimes almond milk...and VERY seldom soy milk.

5. What does your grocery list look like and what do you make from it? I'd especially love to hear this from those who eat predominantly "whole foods" (in the sense of them being the actual food and not blended into raw recipes, not just actual whole foods).

That's all for now, but I'm inquisitive so expect more lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm just going to squish all my questions into one post. Here goes!
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 14, 2009 02:35PM

1) I'm not sure I understand the question, but I get about 2,500-3,500 calories per day and most days are 5-10% calories from fat (not a lot of fat - feel great!).

2) I have only found raw oats at one place, called High Vibe, in NYC, a raw-food store. You can soak them or blend them with water. Not sure on the times.

3) Yes, you can make applesauce simply by blending apples in a processor. You can add lemon juice, cinnamon, etc.

4) To make nut milks at home, either use 1-2 T. raw nut butter mixed with 1 c. water or soak nuts and mix with water and then strain. The amount of nuts per water depends on how thick/creamy you want it.

5) Bananas, mangoes, apples, pears, strawberries, blueberries, spinach, mixed greens, collards, kale, cucumbers, celery, carrots, cilantro, dates, basil.

I eat the fruit whole or make a green smoothie or banana whip (including blueberry, raspberry, and/or mango banana whips). I juice the greens or make a salad (or, as stated above, make a green smoothie).

Good luck. An important thing to remember is that all you need is the produce section. You don't need nuts, oats, seeds, any of that. All you need is produce. Have it on hand it in case you get hungry - especially bananas! smiling smiley

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 14, 2009 03:54PM

SheThrowsDown

5. What does your grocery list look like and what do you make from it?

My grocery list is very short as I like fresh foods so I prefer to shop hand to mouth.
I rarely make recipes as I prefer to eat simple raw.

Posted by: SheThrowsDown ()
Date: May 14, 2009 08:57PM

1) I'm not sure I understand the question, but I get about 2,500-3,500 calories per day and most days are 5-10% calories from fat (not a lot of fat - feel great!).
For instance with 80/10/10 the macro percentages are 80% carbs, 10% fat, and 10% protein smiling smiley.

Thanks for the help so far.
I have one more question:

whole mature coconut vs thai young coconut:
Why do most buy young coconuts? I bought a regular one today ($4) and then when I went to the health food store they had thai young coconut flesh (already out of the "hull" for only $3...wish I had waited! But what's the difference/advantage with the young coconut?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2009 08:57PM by SheThrowsDown.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: May 15, 2009 05:03AM

SheThrowsDown Wrote:
> 2. Are rolled oats and/or kamut flakes generally
> raw? If so, or if I can find some that are, could
> I "cook" them by soaking? If so, how long would I
> probably need to soak them?

Rolled oats are generally not because they would go rancid too fast:
[en.wikipedia.org]
"Since the bran layer, though nutritious, makes the grains tough to chew and contains an enzyme that can cause the oats to go rancid, raw oat groats are often further steam-treated to soften them for a quicker cooking time (modern "quick oats"winking smiley and to denature the enzymes for a longer shelf life."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2009 05:03AM by tropical.

Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: May 15, 2009 12:32PM

I like you, EZ rider.

: )

Love,
Julie

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 15, 2009 12:57PM

> whole mature coconut vs thai young coconut...
> But what's the difference/advantage with the young coconut?

I turn to India for info on coconut. They have a long tradition in its use.

"Coconut," says vaidya Mishra, "is considered a divine plant in vedic tradition.

"Madhyam: half-mature (young) coconut
Madhyam or Middle aged coconut: in addition to water, the coconut at this stage has some soft pulp or giri. Madhyam coconuts have less water than tender ones, but more water than mature coconuts. The water is slightly milky at this age. In the classical ayurvedic texts called Raj Nighantus, the middle aged coconut is said to be best because it has more carbohydrate, protein, minerals, phosphorus, vitamins A,B, C than the other two forms."

[healing.about.com]

..young coconuts are not sold in my locale and so I go with beige or brown (almost-mature and mature) coconuts, which I like a lot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables