Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is it bad to eat 1-2 young coconuts a day
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 01, 2008 07:24PM

i have been eating my breakfast raw now for the last few days. i was introduced to young coconuts and i LOVE them. i like to eat 1 before and 1 after the gym and drink the water during my work outs. so does anyone now if that is not a good thing to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it bad to eat 1-2 young coconuts a day
Posted by: irena ()
Date: December 02, 2008 01:52AM

While you are transitioning and assuming that you are replacing the same amount of fat calories that you would otherwise get from cooked foods I would say it is OK. As you progress in your raw journey you might find that two coconuts a day might be tad too much of your calorie intake from fat.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: December 02, 2008 01:55AM

i've had 9 i think

still breathing

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 02, 2008 02:38AM

wow, just dont mix it with other fats unless you want a tummy ache and bloat. Like Avo or seed cheese

Date: December 02, 2008 03:58AM

the juice is not fatty afaik

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: December 02, 2008 05:05AM

I was under the impression that the large green ones are the only coconuts where the 'water' is mostly carbohydrate. also these are not irradiated

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 02, 2008 06:02AM

mmm i remember a post about formaldehyde usage on coconuts

anyone else have a thing to say about this?

where, when how.. why?

its a good question

i forget if the last post about coconuts had to do with young coconuts or the regular hairy brown hard one

anyways i'm curious about this too

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: December 02, 2008 06:13AM

The coco water never bothered me but eating a lot of coconuts young soft or hard old most of the time seemed hard to digest in the form of costipation.
I have a coconut tree in back fo my house and drink the water in the summers but rarely eat them my sister and mom eat the hard ones and have no problem i just drink the water.

Cherimoya,

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: mira ()
Date: December 02, 2008 04:25PM

When i first started eating raw, I used to eat at least one young coconut a day, plus virgin coconut oil, plus dehydrated coconut, and some mature coconut meat if i had some. It really was a staple food!Then i realized tha most of my calories where from fat, i freaked, and stop eating so much. And it was a little costy to buy all these young coconuts...

But honestly i did not feel any worse then now, in fact i think i actually felt better...?

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 10, 2008 01:22AM

Mira did you gain weight on that diet?

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 10, 2008 06:47AM

I used to eat 2-3 young cocounts at a time for lunch. (not everyday, only when I felt like it, plus the juice) It was the only thing I had for several hours before and after. I actually lost weight if anyone was wondering. I don't recall what other items I may have had earlier or later in the day. I tend to have a very big appetite, and can be very active, so I probably needed the calories.

Posted by: Meditating ()
Date: December 10, 2008 10:58AM

I LOVE fresh, young coconuts and I read somewhere their water is the only naturally occurring fully isotonic beverage made by nature.

One bad thing you should remember is that if they aren't organic they have probably been preserved in formaldehyde. They keep the coconuts under the formaldehyde for app. 6 minutes I believe it is.

I wish we lived in a world where helath and nature was respected by the mainstream.

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 10, 2008 12:05PM

The reason why you would loose weight or not gain any weight is because of the medium chain saturated fats in the coconut -- it goes straight to the liver to be converted to energy, unlike the long chain saturated fats found in meat and other oils and things.

Date: December 10, 2008 01:32PM

they were tested for formaldehyde and found none.

there may be other chemicals in there though.

jackie chan used coconut water in one of his movies as an IV - that's good enough for me.
;-)

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 10, 2008 03:19PM

haha! i love jackie chan

Posted by: liberation ()
Date: December 12, 2008 07:09PM

i am open to whatever answer is provided by those who know, but has ANYONE here actually been to s e asia and really observed the young coco growers and exporters close up, using these noxious chemicals? or is it agenda driven or hearsay?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables