Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fruit freshness
Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: May 21, 2009 02:38PM

HIYA!

Third of three that I wanna post.

What makes a fruit fresh? The little yellow melons that I eat are so doggone delicious when they're soft. Softer than most people like to eat them. Same with persimmons. There are persimmon varieties here in Korea that most people seem to only eat when they're crunchy. I much perfer them when they're soft. And many people say that bananas are better to eat when they've got brown spots on the peels because the bananas are easier to digest then.

So what's fresh and what's "gone"?

I remember hearing someone talk at a SFLiFE potluck some years ago. The guy was an instincto. He said that the only fruits that ripen after picking them are avocados and one or two others, I forget what.

Well, I don't have an opinion on this really, but I wonder if the various things in some fruits break down and so become easier to digest. Like bananas.

Seems to me that a fruit has obviously started to "go" when it starts to get moldy, or ferment in other ways. By the way, I remember reading in one of Frederic Patenaude's e-newsletters years ago that fruit doesn't go partially bad. When it starts to go, it's all gone. I just cut out the "bad" part if it's not such a big part of the fruit.

Like I mentioned with vegetable freshness in my previous post, original moisture content is lost as a fruit ages. This results in vitamin and mineral loss, right? But I suppose that since there's so much moisture in most fruits that it's less of a concern than with vegetables. And, if some fruits become easier to digest some time after they've been picked, then ... seems like there's a trade-off.

I'm not a chemist or anything. Just a guy who ... maybe thinks a bit too much! But I don't sit and think these things out. Just ideas that come up, and which I flesh out a bit through thinking about them.

Anyway, I wanted to put these ideas out. Glad I did.

Troy.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables