Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Interested in Raw Food Diet
Posted by: nyquil ()
Date: May 23, 2009 11:00PM

Hi guys,

I saw a wonderful documentary called Food Matters yesterday, and it has really got me interested in the raw food diet. Currently, i am already eating the paleo diet(give and take a few exceptions) in zone diet proportion.

I would love to go even further and perhaps try out the raw food diet, but i am a male, and have always been a hard gainer in terms of gaining weight and lifting. I was wondering if there are any other guys out there eating the raw diet and still able to gain size while working out and not end up real skinny due to the lack of calories in veggies/fruits in comparison to meat, sweet potatoes, etc?

In addition, i was wondering if anyone could direct me to a few good sources, either books or online web pages where i could learn even more about the diet?

Lastly, I'm a young professional so i dont really have THAT much time to go grocery shopping all that much, right now i pretty much shop for food once every 2 weeks, since i am eating paleo right now and besides vegetables and fruits, the meat usually lasts a while since i could put them in the freezer.. however, I was wondering if anyone is able to grow a lot of food in their apartment? either sprouts or something else?

And how about the dehydrator? The dehydrator is supposed to be able to extract out the moisture and keep all of the nutrients of the food in tact so that they dont lose their potency over time... but how do you actually eat these dehydrated food? I mean i know you can put them in the pot and make soup with them or simply eat them like snacks, but that's pretty much it right? or maybe put them in a blender?

Anyway, I would love to hear about your personal experiences! grinning smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interested in Raw Food Diet
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 23, 2009 11:33PM

I eat about 2,000-3,500 calories per day, mostly fruit; I'm muscular (female).

I exercise, though.

Dehydrated foods can be anything from jicama slices to a raw gourmet enchilada or pizza. You can make things like a pizza crust, bread, etc. dehydrated, or just do simple things like bananas or tomatoes. It depends on what you want.

My diet is mostly fruit and greens.

I go grocery shopping whenever I need something. That's where the fresh food is found! smiling smiley

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 23, 2009 11:37PM

nyquil

I saw a wonderful documentary called Food Matters yesterday
That sounds interesting. What channel was it on ? I would like to watch for it and watch it also. Thanks in advance. smiling smiley

I was wondering if there are any other guys out there eating the raw diet and still able to gain size while working out and not end up real skinny due to the lack of calories in veggies/fruits
Some of the biggest and strongest animals on the planet eat vegan food. I have found that the only thing that a vegan loses is the fat provided that they eat enough calories.

Date: May 24, 2009 12:03AM

Utopian Life:

nice, 2,000-3,500 calories is a decent amount, good enough to maintain wait for me at least, while still being active. What do you usually eat on a daily basis though? for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Fruits and veggies dont contain that much calories though. Fruits contain a lot of carbohydrates so i am not surprised that it fulfills your carb requirements, but calories also? you must eat a bucket of salad per meal lol grinning smiley jk

But anyway, would love to hear what yo ueat each day if it's not too much trouble.

thanks in advance!
---------------------

EZ rider,
the documentary FOOD MATTERS, i actually downloaded off a torrent site. demonoid.com is the one, you might need to make an account. It's all free though. You can also find it on other torrent sites i'm sure. It seems to be a pretty popular one.

cheers!

Date: May 24, 2009 12:22AM

Sure, no problem, sometimes I write it up on another forum.

Yes, the fruit adds up calorie-wise, I eat a lot of volume of it. You'll see. smiling smiley

Date: May 24, 2009 12:28AM

Yesterday:
7 bananas, whipped with 1.5 c. each raspberries and blueberries
2 c. honeydew melon
1/2 c. kiwi
1/2 c. strawberries
1/2 c. mango
1/2 c. grapes
2 c. pineapple
4 bananas, whipped with blueberries
green juice with cilantro, kale, cucumber, celery, seaweed
1 pear (yeah, I know, seems like a diet compared to the rest)
12 c. spinach with grapefruit salad (they put ground black pepper on it, nothing else)
2 c. blackberries
1/2 c. bluerberries
1 c. mango
1/2 c. raspberries
1.33 c. dried strawberries (with pineapple juice - I regretted this one, my body doesn't like dehydrated foods anymore)

-----------
other days PLEASE NOTE THAT I DON'T LABEL MY FOOD BREAKFAST, LUNCH, OR DINNER. I BELIEVE A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE INVOLVES EATING MORE FREQUENTLY AND EATING WHEN HUNGRY. smiling smiley

Whole papaya
3 bananas
4 c. blueberries
3 c. strawberries
whole cantelope
6 c. grapes
3 zucchini, noodled (smiling smiley)
Fresh & sun-dried tomato sauce with lemon juice, basil, dates, a bit of pink salt
Green juice with cucumber, celery, kale, spinach, parsley
About 15 dates
Oh, yeah, I did make a salad with spinach and parsley but one of the two didn't taste right, so I didn't eat much of it but had 7 large lettuce leaves instead

------
ALSO NOTE THAT I DON'T EAT A LOT OF FATS, AS I DON'T THINK IT'S HEALTHY, BUT I'LL TRY TO FIND A SAMPLE DAY WHERE I ATE SOME AVOCADO OR OTHER CONCENTRATED FAT

-----
Apple, banana, kale green smoothie (very large, about 3 16-oz containers worth)
Apple, carrot, kale, jalapeno, celery juice
2 Bananas
1 c. strawberries
1 c. grapes
1 c. pineapple
2 c. mango
6 dates
4 cucumbers, noodled and with tomato & sun-dried tomato basil sauce (no fat added), with spinach and extra basil.

------
4 medium pears
2 large green smoothies with kale, collards, banana, and apple
Chia moon drops (like the Ulimana product but made at home - this has some fat from chia seeds, cashews ground up, coconut ground up, sweetened with dates)
Green juice
Spinach salad
Spring mix salad
Microgreen salad (Russian kale, collards, red cabbage, purple kohlrabi, purple radish, and beet greens)
Cucumber
Jalapeno
For the salads, a mustard-chive-date dressing (no fat added to that)

--------
Green smoothie (fresh apple, collard, kale juice/whole pear, banana/collard & kale leaves)
Green juice (Chard, cucumber, carrot, celery, parsley, romaine, green onion, plus tsp. of three-seaweed mix)
Green smoothie (fresh apple, kale, collard juice/water/whole papaya/6 dates/whole banana/kale & collard leaves))

I also added
6 more dates
20 oz. fresh orange juice
Mixed green salad (about 4 cups) with grapes and pears
Later had 6 cups of mixed sprouts
After about another hour, had a large spinach (about 6 cups) salad with tomatoes and cucumber

-----

Date: May 24, 2009 01:17AM

unbelievable, i guess all those fruits do add up since each of them is lik 150-200 calories i'm guessing. grinning smiley you eat so healthy! hehe

care to recommend a good book on raw food diet? there are certainly a handful of them out there that seem to be be the more popular ones on a lot of the web pages i came across, but was wondering if you have a particular you're fond of or found more useful through personal experience.

Date: May 24, 2009 01:20AM

I don't know.....what's the purpose of the book that you seek? I have tons of uncook-books, but none that I found particularly useful.

For veganism and nutritional information in general, I recommend Becoming Vegan.

As you can see, my daily diet doesn't consist of many recipes from raw-food books. So yeah, can you tell us what info you want from a potential book?

smiling smiley

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 24, 2009 11:41AM

Richard Blackman (The Fruitarian One) posts on this forum occasionally. Heres one of his posts: [www.rawfoodsupport.com]
If you want to read more of his posts you can look for them using the "search" function at the top of the page.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 24, 2009 06:06PM

nyquil,

Welcome! EZ's recommendation to review Richard Blackman's posts is a good one. As far as books go, I recommend "80/10/10" by Douglas Graham. He explains how an athlete can eat how Utopian Life eats, for example, and maintain muscle mass and resilience.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 24, 2009 06:16PM

welcome to the site Nyquil smiling smiley I grew Zuchini in my apartment one year (be prepared it gets big lol ! but that is fun in itself tongue sticking out smiley) also strawberries, lots of different herbs in little pots., TONS of lettuce in pots. I even had a blueberry bush smiling smiley

essentially if you have a light source anythign really is possible on a small scale smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 25, 2009 02:31AM

thanks guys!

i will most definitely check out 80/10/10" by Douglas Graham. it seems to contain a lot of the info i was looking for.

i'm also considering getting a book on raw food diet in general (not recipes) and i'm sure some of you have probably read at least a handful of them smiling smiley Is there one that stood out to you? one that you like in particular?

Is David Wolfe’s Sunfood Diet Success System book any good?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 25, 2009 05:25AM

Hi Nyquil

for just down to the bones basics on principles, read " Mucusless Diet" by Arnold Ehret

for in your face, supercharged persuasive content, read " Nature's First Law"

none of these are recipe books but once u understand the principles, you are more equipped to exercise your own plan

Date: May 25, 2009 06:35PM

Maybe The Raw Revolution Diet?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables