Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Newbie w/real basic questions
Posted by: boysenberry ()
Date: May 27, 2009 01:30AM

My Vitamix is on it's way and I am very excited. I have been watching a lot of videos on U-tube about smoothies, etc. and here are my questions. And thanks in advance.

1) I never see anyone washing the fruits or greens. Even when they just pull it out of the plastic bag. Do organic veggies, etc. not need washing before eating, blending?

2) When they cut up apples, they don't remove the seeds, which I have read contain cyanide. Just leave those seeds in when blending?

3) Are the seeds from oranges too small to be blended in the vitamix. On two sites - Boutenko, and I think Ani Pho - I saw receips and they seed to remove the seeds from oranges. Or are they dangerous to eat?

4) What about the seeds from cherries and grapes, would they be blended, and is it okay?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie w/real basic questions
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 27, 2009 02:28AM

I tend not to wash my organic produce. If there is dirt on the lettuce, I'll brush it off. Only when I find an infestation of insects on lettuce will I was the lettuce, or if there is mud on the inside.

I used to eat apple seeds when I first started (as well as watermelon seeds), but nowadays I don't eat the seeds of fruit, I spit them out.

I don't eat orange seeds either. They don't taste good to me.

Swallowing a cherry seed seems gross to me.

Posted by: kollie ()
Date: May 27, 2009 02:37AM

Hi.
I would wash everything.
I eat the apple and the grape seeds.(but I eat at most 3 apples a day)
I don't eat the cherry pits or the seeds from citrus, but I sometimes see a lemon seed get into my salad, I don't worry about looking for it.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 27, 2009 02:40AM

The Vita-Mix will blend/chop the seeds. I don't purposely put seeds in it, but if a few lemon seeds fall in while I'm squeezing one, no biggie. I don't fish them out. smiling smiley

I do wash /rinse all produce.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 27, 2009 03:56AM

I eat a lot of the seeds that come through my kitchen including apple, orange, grapefruit, and grape seeds.
Apple seeds contain vitamin B17 which this site --> [www.worldwithoutcancer.org.uk] has some interesting info about.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 27, 2009 02:07PM

I wash my produce. I don't remove apple or citrus seeds when blending fruits, and I'l eat them if eating the fruit in-hand, because they aren't harmful in small amounts(a really large amount could cause diverticulosis, conceivably). I wouldn't put cherry seeds in a blender; it could break them up but I don't know how completely and that is really dense, jagged matter to drink down. Also, most seeds of that kind are pretty bitter, so you'd want to mask the flavor with strong tasting things like sweet fruits.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables