Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How to repair a lot of damage?
Date: May 28, 2009 12:38PM

For a long time I've been a bit confused by deficiencies and their longterm effect. Lets say someone was fairly deficient in protein and several vitamins (i.e iron, zinc etc) for ten years, what does it take to repair that damage? What exactly IS the damage?

Can the body even recuperate at all- even by going raw and ensuring they get adequate protein, zinc, iron, B12 etc? Surely even eating raw for several years isn't going to put right all those years of malnutrition?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to repair a lot of damage?
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: May 28, 2009 01:10PM

I heard somewhere that if you were sick for 10 years, it would take about 10 months to get symtom-free from that sickness.

If you were sick för 1 year, 1 month would be required the get well.

OFC it depends what kind of dis-ease you managed to give yourself with food, lifestyle and environment.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 28, 2009 01:36PM

I know the first at least 18 years of my life I wasn't getting adequate nutrition, yet I'm fine and healthy now at 29, been living mindfully and/or healthfully as far as diet and exercise for 8 years.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 28, 2009 01:41PM

I can tell you my experience with deficiency and what conclusions I have come to .

A few years ago, before raw, I was getting my calcium from sources that created an acidic environment in my body. My body was using the calcium I was taking in and also robbing calcium from my bones to neutralize the acid. I didn't realize this until I started reading a lot about my failing health and started putting the pieces of the puzzle together. When I was about three months into a high raw diet I ate some figs and couldn't stop. I had a love affair with them. I am not exaggerating when I say I ate 40 a day. They were perfect from the moment I put them in my mouth. I realized my nails became freakishly strong and my teeth looked white and healthy. I, of course, researched nutrients in figs and read they were high in calcium and I knew immediately that was it. I feel confident that I overcame a calcium deficiency. It took a lot of figs though smiling smiley.

Date: May 28, 2009 04:36PM

pakd4fun- I never knew figs were high in calcium (I am a sucker for a fig- fresh, dried, whatever, they're beautiful!). I have eaten them like that before too, and given my yoyo attitude to food (one day healthy, next day unhealthy and so on), I wouldn't be surprised if I was deficient and it was my body spurring me on!

Thanks for the answers and experiences. I guess I feel like of all the years I have lived so far, a tiny percent was probably only ever at optimum health (namely raw and very healthy but non-raw vegan). I'm almost thirty and still have a few health problems that I've carried with me since I was young (allergies, prone to dry skin/scalp, spots, prone to overeating) and I have a fear that they're never going to go away, even on 100% raw indefinitely. There's a photo of me my boyf. has on his wall from a few years ago, and I feel like I've aged a LOT since then because of a very bad patch I went through.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2009 04:37PM by suspendedindefinitely.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 28, 2009 04:58PM

SI,

It is definitely possible to heal and repair damage to the body. In my personal experience I have had a lot of healing from the healing aspects of the raw diet, as well as practicing the habits the create health: getting plenty of rest and sleep, reducing stress and worry, getting exercise, fresh air, sunshine, healthful relationships, etc.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 28, 2009 05:16PM

SI,

I am glad my story can offer some insight for you.

I am forty and have healed so much in the last three years. I look younger than I did ten years ago. I have been listening to Bryan talk about all aspects of my healthy lifestyle and it has made such an improvment all around. Getting proper sleep has been a big hurdle and so beneficial.

If something is healthy and I want to eat boat loads of it, I do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables