Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Love open-minded people
Posted by: irena ()
Date: May 25, 2009 12:56AM

It is so refreshing when you meet somebody that is open to the concept that it is perfectly OK to eat foods other than SAD and not get all in a defensive and threatened mode. Unfortunately the area I live in seems to be predominately populated with the latter ones and I have arrived at a place where I am very hesitant to disclose more than absolutely necessary about my diet just because I am tired of being labeled weird. Well, recently I was proven wrong and it was so invigorating that I just had to share this with you guyssmiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Love open-minded people
Posted by: Alwaystriving ()
Date: May 25, 2009 02:56AM

That is awesome that you have met someone who is not judging your food choices. My job is where I find that people seem to judge me the most. But our association is one of necessity. I gotta work to pay the bills. I started a raw food yahoo group and organized a once-a-month Raw Potluck to bring like minds together for support and inspiration. Once you've met a few open minds in your area you'll meet more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2009 02:58AM by Alwaystriving.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 25, 2009 05:28AM

I get judged all the time for my food choices but it is always positive.

I also never go out of my way to explain what I eat or talk about it but ... it is kind of hard to hide since meal time is 3 times a day and snacks in between for most SAD people and when that time arrives, people notice what is ( or isn't) on your plate.

I can't imagine why anyone would say anything negative about the raw vegan diet unless you are trying to push it on them. Even junkfood eaters and dyed in the wool meat eaters will all acknowledge that eating fresh fruits and veggies is a good thing and better than what they eat. It is kind of "weird" for anyone to not believe otherwise.

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: May 25, 2009 05:42AM

i'm working on not being judgemental of sad eaters. we are all progressing to the best of our ability, and i believe that everyone tries to do the best they can and make the best choices given the knowledge and inner strength that they have. it is far more difficult for me to allow others to make their own choices than it is for me to do my own thing and not care what others think.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 25, 2009 01:59PM

I like LaV's and Marsh's posts.

I have found that the people who criticize my diet seem to be the ones who are least happy with theirs. When I started being more comfortable with the diets of SAD eaters around me and more comfortable about being around their food, I found people began having positive things to say about my diet and obvious health and vibrancy. On rare occasions people who are struggling with their own addictions project that on to me. I just blow them off. I know being a fabulous forty year old and recovering from illness gives me vindication and confidence. I imagine if I were young and most of my peers were still healthy, things might be different.

I think it is a good idea to be around other health minded people. I think there is strength in that.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 25, 2009 02:25PM

irena,

I'm glad you had a more positive interaction with another; this must inspire you with confidence that there are more open-minded people out there for you to find, or who may find you, in the future. Have you gone on [www.meetup.com] to look for other Rawies in your vicinity? It may help.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 25, 2009 06:44PM

Irena im glad you found someone likeminded smiling smiley it really is nice when people like this are right there cheering you on smiling smiley

i met a lady across the border the other day , i was evesdropping and heard her tell this other lady she was a raw foodist smiling smiley the lady had to be around 70 years old !

i ran up to her and she got so excited we talked for about an hour lol smiling smiley it was very cool smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: irena ()
Date: May 26, 2009 01:24AM

Tamukha,

Yes,yahoo meetups has been an awesome resource for meeting other vegan rawies in the area, it's just nice when it happens inadvertently.

LaV, marsh, pakd4fun, you are right many times I have found out as well that my positive and accepting attitude towards SAD influences how am I received. Still with all of the fixation on animal foods in this world even without trying you cannot but stand out. For example, many times when I have lunch with people from work I feel this awkward uncomfortableness in the air, as though they feel they need to justify to me their meat eating habits, and honestly I do not think that I have conveyed to them the notion that somehow I am superior in anyway with my food choices. Maybe it is just their conscience bugging them.
Anyways here is a pic from the raw food dinner my "open-minded" friend and I made the other day:
Spinach Dip (top left)
Cauliflower Curry (top right)
Stuffed Peppers with sprouted mung beans and cashew cream, flax crackers (center)

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 26, 2009 02:04AM

What a pretty meal. Tasty too, I bet.

Posted by: kollie ()
Date: May 26, 2009 06:46AM

hi.
I've been raw for 4 months and have yet to meet any friend or family that didn't think this was nuts. But I understand, they have not read the science, and 10 years ago I too would have made fun of someone (behind their back) telling me their a raw vegan.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 26, 2009 01:57PM

irena,

That meal looks FANtastic!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 26, 2009 05:03PM

I have had a few cooked food vegans react negatively or make comments.

But otherwise, everyone else thinks it's great and wants to learn more.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: May 26, 2009 06:45PM

I can sympathize but I have never been the slightest bit bothered or concerned about what others think of what I put in my mouth.
Its my,and your own,business.

Vinny

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 31, 2009 02:38AM

When I made the decision to go raw I cleaned out my freezer and gave away 5lbs of pork loin, 10 lbs of prime rib and about 5lbs of chicken breast, my friends and neighbors were thrilled with my change!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables