Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How many calories do you think we really need?
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: May 23, 2009 01:57AM

On some days I feel satiated on around 1000 calories. I feel pretty good, too.

But on an average day I top out at around 1800-1900, which is supposedly the minimum for me to survive. And I still exercise and STILL feel good. Am I just getting enough nutrients? Is this normal? Is BMI/BMR a bunch of mumbo jumbo?

I feel like I should be wasting away by now from a scientific standpoint, but it's quite the opposite.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many calories do you think we really need?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 23, 2009 02:06AM

I would guess that most Raw Vegans here, myself included,
eat 2 or 3 times more food than we actually need. The problem comes
when we cut back, we feel unsatisfied....WY

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: May 23, 2009 11:25AM

Calories mean nothing. It all depends on youe absorption and metabolism. Skinny ppl have fasted for months! They would be dead according to the calorie theory

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 23, 2009 02:02PM

I like to get about 2,000-3,500 depending on the day.

ETA: female, 5'4, about 110-115 lbs., don't weigh myself, active/exerciser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2009 02:03PM by Utopian Life.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 24, 2009 01:16AM

The answer to this question differs vastly, depending on a whole host of physical, mental, emotional and spiritual variables and priorities in each individual.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: nyquil ()
Date: May 24, 2009 01:24AM

hey utopia! you eat up to 3,500 calories and you're only 5'4 and weigh in at 110?

i haven't switched to raw food yet, but i'm 5'11 and 155lb or so, and i typically consume about that much when i was lifting, of course i was eating meat, rice, pasta as well. and with that much i was only able to maintain my weight and put on muscle gradually...if i was to switch to raw, wouldn't that make it more difficult? i mean if you're only 5'4 and 110 and consume as much calories as i would with meat (i used to do paleo with zone proportion)

i guess i need a lot more calories/protein, etc on the raw diet than i would normally if i was on a diet with meat consumption to be able to maintain the desired weight (not losing weight) and perhaps even put on muscles?

Date: May 24, 2009 01:38AM

I don't know; I burn a lot of calories and I'm muscular. It just depends. We can't really predict what will happen with you. I see pictures of men on a high-fruit, low-fat raw diet who are very muscular and not bony-thin at all.

You can find raw and vegan protein powders if you want to supplement, but I don't think they're necessary. You can also use a lot of nuts and seeds, but those are higher in fat; the higher fat you eat, the less likely you are to have muscle tone, as the fat will cover your muscle.

I also don't consider myself "only" 5'4; it's the average height for women, and I'm not bony-thin/I'm healthy and full of muscle tone. smiling smiley

Date: May 24, 2009 01:40AM

I think even supposedly "lean" meats have about 20-30% of calories from fat, which is high to me, so you will probably lose weight - but in the form of FAT - as you start this diet. Maintain your lifting, whether it's weights or your own body, and continue resistance and strength training to continue building and repairing muscle.

Posted by: nyquil ()
Date: May 24, 2009 11:18PM

the amount of calories can be achieved by eating lots of fruits and veggies, especially fruits since it also contains a lot of sugar.. but you're not consuming a lot of protein though. =\ especially if you work out.

anyway, i probably just need to educate myself a bit more on the subject grinning smiley

Date: May 24, 2009 11:59PM

I get 40-80 g. of protein a day. Greens are a great source of protein, and even fruit has protein. You don't need excessive protein, as some people might suggest.

Your body is made to run off of sugars; fruit is the best source. If you want energy, eat fruit.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 25, 2009 01:59PM

nyquil,

Utopian Life sets a great example for you. Remember, it's not protein you need, it's amino acids, from which your body can manufacture whatever it needs. If you consume a lot of raw aminos, and move your muscles, you will maintain your fitness and probably get fitter--First Ape Law!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 31, 2009 05:43PM

hi utopia, so you get the bulk of your protein from fruits and veggies?

Date: May 31, 2009 06:07PM

Yes. Do you want an example day? I think I posted it in another thread started by the same OP, will look.

Date: May 31, 2009 06:07PM

No, sorry, it was started by Nyquil.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables