Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what percentage raw am I eating?
Posted by: Arrow ()
Date: June 09, 2009 07:42PM

Hi there,

I thought I 90% but now I'm not so sure. Here's things that I eat which are ? not raw:

tamari, essene bread, garlic, ginger, 'biscru' (dehydrated shop bought cracker) herbal teas, green tea, tap and bottled water, nuts, nori wraps, hoummous. Just trying to think of anything else, vegan supplement, spirulina, olive oil, nut oil, olives.

Apart from that fruit and seeds and veggies.

This is not including ineviteable occasional slips ups in my big 7 (!) weeks raw.
Thanks for any advice, It would help me to figure out where to go from here. I have actually been thinking that I would stick to whatever I am doing for 6 months to a year before going 100% which is my ultimate goal. I know numbers do not convey a real situation but it would be good to kind of feel I was on top of things.

I have been talking about it a little more to friends. One said it must be boring! Another suggested molasses. I had to look that one up. Another friend is having chemo but doesn't want to go raw. Obviously I haven't done a hard sell on her, but I did ask why not and the thing is all the family sit down for a meal together and she loves baking. Interesting, ignorance, society influences and not wanting to challenge the norm, another said she just wanted to be healthy eating what normal people eat. I do find it a bit incredible that hardly anyone is interested, to the point I think people actually must consider I am doing something bizarre and possibly wrong!

Anyway, your comments appreciated!

Arrow

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what percentage raw am I eating?
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: June 09, 2009 07:48PM

Sorry Arrow, but I will put a question here for everybody here on the forum: Do we count "% raw" in
1. weight or
2. calories or
3. volume

//bun

Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: June 09, 2009 08:40PM

Im now doing 50% raw I too aim for 100% but for me this is a Gradual change. I went to fast last time and I really didn’t know what I was doing. But for me I must try this. I dont know what my futur will be if I dont

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 09, 2009 08:50PM

I'd hate to be "normal" in this society. Look at how many diseases and medication-taking is normal.

Anyway, we'd have to know exact amounts of each food per day, and that will vary day by day, of course, but maybe we could give you a rough week percentage.

What you would do is go by calories. Like 500 calories from cooked/non-raw foods and 2000 calories per day from raw foods would equal a 2,500 calorie diet, with 500 from non-raw, so you'd be 20% non-raw.

Date: June 10, 2009 07:17AM

Calories sounds the best way to count it. I hadn't considered what to measure the percentages in, which may account for my confusion.

I will make a list of all I eat in a week and see what we've got at the end of it, thanks for your help, starting today.

The foods I mentioned? raw or not raw?

thank you !!

Arrow

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: June 10, 2009 09:38AM

D = Dead
L = Live

tamari,
D
essene bread
D,
garlic
L,
ginger L
, 'biscru' (dehydrated shop bought cracker)
D
herbal teas
D,
green tea
D,
tap and bottled water
D,
nuts,
D, but ok.
nori wraps,
D
hoummous.
D

Just trying to think of anything else,
vegan supplement
D
, spirulina,
D
olive oil,
L nut oil,
D
olives.
D

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 10, 2009 11:38AM

Opinion:

-Your % is always just going to be a rough number....unless you are ONLY eat live plants...you know? In any event, you COULD use calories as your guide. That's not too hard. Or you could say how many all-raw meals you are eating per day: 1 meal would be 33% raw.....2 meals 66%....and 3 meals 99% or 100%. You know?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: June 10, 2009 12:26PM

Some of the things you listed could/might be raw but we don't know. Just saying "almonds..."well, here, you can purchase them truly raw, raw, roasted, salted, unsalted, any number of things. Hummus can be made raw or not raw. Etc.

Date: June 10, 2009 07:01PM

Wow.... Long way to go then.

Ok, I could be discouraged at this point. Or I could say 7 weeks ago I was eating cooked food all the time except for breakfast ( banana and spinach smoothies ) including meat daily and the occasional bit of fruit, maybe an apple daily. The change for me has been immense cutting out cooked foods such as rice, bread, sausages, ham,you name it, although I didn't eat junk food. I have made fabulous gains so far and have experienced detox...to a certain level. When I listen to you guys you are on a different level from me as yet and that's ok. I am so happy to be making this transistion and already have made gains in terms of energy and clear thinking, I think due to cutting out processed carbs. It's such a steep learning curve and I am proud of myself for making it this far inspite of incredible society disapproval...family, friends, restaurants, culture. When I lived in California many years ago I picked up Marylin Diamonds book (50p from a second hand book store!) and was SO inspired but didn't have the energy deleption I have now to really go for it. I can also see that living there it would be so much more easy with the foods available...great climate, like minded people, super produce from farmers markets etc... here in France with little money it's tough. But certainly possible. More so back in the UK where I will probably be moving back to in the next few months...
So, the nuts are unsalted and I think are raw but probably not completely raw.

Today i ate,
banana and spinach smoothie, 2 cups of essene bread, 4 olives, 6 small carrots, 1 cup of dehydrated crackers ( that surprised me, dead...)2 glasses of white wine and counting (rare for me) and 3 cigarettes and 4 black teas, you know what guys I really appreciate your input but...lets wait til I'm off cigs and caffeine...I am going through such a difficult personal circumstance transistion and I can't, as much as I seriously appreciate your input, take care of those important aspects until I've arrived at the point I need to start at! If that makes sense! Then I can give value to your kind input.

Arrow.

Hence named, out of possible interest, because I want to aim straight and true and steadily to my goals like an arrow.

Date: June 10, 2009 07:40PM

Do things at your own pace. We won't force anything on you. You choose to post or not. Do your thang, be happy.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: June 11, 2009 04:52AM

Could I just point out something?

Essene bread IS raw.

Anything that you buy from a shop that calls itself Essene bread but is cooked is NOT Essene bread.

Essene bread is dried in the sun, or, failing that, in the kitchen. No cooking (not even a dehydrator) is needed.

Here are some instructions:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Date: June 11, 2009 04:55AM

I don't feel forced, supported and inspired maybe, I just don't want to waste your time at the moment until this can go back to being a priorty in my life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables