Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hi there, new with question
Posted by: texasmelgal ()
Date: June 16, 2009 01:03PM

So I'm seriously thinking of starting the raw "way of life" I wouldn't consider going raw a diet from what I've read. Many factors in my life seem to be gravitating me towards going raw. I'm 100lbs over weight and I have hypoglycemia and bad digestive issues. so my big big problem would be financial. I'd probably be the only one in my little family of 4 eating raw. I'm just curious about how expensive eating raw would be. I'm looking at the simple mono meals while eating mostly fruit. There are really no farmers markets around here that or worth while to shop at or any whole foods store without driving and hour or so.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hi there, new with question
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 16, 2009 03:04PM

You might find these discussions helpful:

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 16, 2009 03:11PM

Good questions. Keep in mind that this is not an 'all or nothing' proposition....or at least doesn't HAVE to be. Pound per pound....fresh greens or fruit can be had for far less than .99 per pound for staple items. You don't HAVE to buy fancy or organic....and I really don't recommend doing so for folks that are on a budget. Tip: Don't expect your family to understand or support you. It will be your job to support THEM...and remain dignified. Just my experience.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: June 16, 2009 03:23PM

thank you both!

I think I could probably get my 2 yr old to go raw with me but not the 4 yr old or hubby.

My big deal is I'm going to have my basic normal grocery list for them then have what I eat added to it. It's like this anytime I diet or anything. They are so picky I have to make 2 separate meals. It's expensive and really a pain in the rear. This is probably why I'm still so over weight. who wants to have to prepare 6 meals a day!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 16, 2009 03:46PM

One thing I have found everyone, picky or not, to like is a fruit smoothies with bananas and another fruit. Bananas are the cheapest healthy food I know of. We buy them by the 40 pound box. If you can get your family to drink smoothies with you, it would be a great start.

With your hypoglycemia, I think eating a low fat diet would make you feel a lot better, whether your diet is all raw or not. It has really helped me.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 16, 2009 04:36PM

I'm sure your diets do not vary immensely. The only difference is, what THEY are eating as a side-dish...you are slowly making your staple. I'm sure it's not like vegetables NEVER showed up on your table! Or grapes NEVER found their way into your diet! Ha! ha! So: Just don't make it an issue. Let them see YOU putting the stuff on the table....along with whatever THEY want....and see you eating the good stuff. It's a powerful example....one that requires no words, preaching or coverts. The most powerful way to affect a family is to show them love and support with dignity...I think.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: June 16, 2009 05:05PM

Thank you. I can see how that would be easy with a family that actually ate veggies and fruits. I am the only one in the family who does. My hubby will eat potatoes, beans and bananas. that's about it! I can't even get the 4 yr old to try a veggie. I don't push her but I do put it on her plate every time. Now the 2 yr old will eat anything not bolted to the floor. She's like me, LOL!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 16, 2009 05:44PM

My sister lives in TX, Grand Prairie!

I am looking into ordering fruit/veggies directly from a distributor because of cost and plus I rarely, if ever, drive, so I am on foot and can only carry so many bananas at once. smiling smiley

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 16, 2009 06:10PM

was about to say, order direct from wholesale..dont be messing about with grocery store prices!!

wish you all the best smiling smiley

Posted by: lawofattraction ()
Date: June 16, 2009 09:06PM

im in the process of asking "the source" for any and all raw related products i could possibly ever want.if that means all the cash i could ever want,bring it.

Date: June 17, 2009 12:45PM

well I've really been preaching to the hubby about going raw. I'm really excited about it! I think I have him on the bandwagon to trying it. I think I'll start with one meal switched to raw every 2 weeks. Is this going to slow? to fast? We will start with breakfast and snacks then go from there. I really think we will try eating mostly fruit since neither of us care for many raw veggies.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:19PM

texasmelgal,

That program sounds about right; everyone loves fruit, and exchanging your breakfast for fruit should be an easy transition. Go as slowly as you need to to make it as easy as possible for everyone to stay on board. When a change happens too fast or on too large a scale, people feel pushed and they push back. Make it a fun, gradual, and relaxed change, and you're more likely to succeed. Good luck : )

Date: June 17, 2009 01:25PM

Thanks, Tamukha. I really think coffee is going to be our hardest sacrifice. That will take a while!

Posted by: lawofattraction ()
Date: June 17, 2009 04:07PM

i always found it gratifying to start the day off raw. it sets the tone for the day...now if i could only make my bed...

Date: June 17, 2009 04:30PM

the only day the beds get made around here is on sheet changing day, which is today! LOL!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 17, 2009 05:00PM

i took a bit of a different spin when transitioning ... my problem a couple of years ago was that due to my run around lifestyle i would try my darndest to start out raw in the morning and by dinner time i was snarfing anything nonvegan and unhealthy (that wasnt bolted down lol) and then ended up couch surfing and eating crap till bed. which for me was the worst thing because than id be sleeping with a bellyfull of crap just turning into fat while i slept

so first thing i did was cut out the snacking on bad stuff after 8pm. If i was truly hungry after that i could eat fruit but nothing else.

then i turned my dinner time into my 100% raw vegan meal of the day. what i found was that i had wayyyyyyyy more energy for stuff to do after dinner and lo and behold started working out more often in the evening (going for a walk, bike ride etc. ...) wowza ! how cool was that !

then my afternoon snacks turned raw vegan.. then my lunch became raw vegan ... then my breakfast ... till finally i had repplaced all the bad stuff with really good whole fruits and veggies and some fancy deserts and some really crazy conconcotions (some that ended up as facial masks instead of a meal lol)

i figured anything i normally desired for dinner i could eat for breakfast if i really wanted too , overtime all the non vegan stuff was replaced with vegetarian dishes then vegan then raw .. over time its been 7 years of ups and downs but its been so worth it smiling smiley

anyhow that was my spin on what got me to 100% i am sure you will find a great way and balance that works for you too smiling smiley at one time i was 100lbs overmygoalweight yo-yoing all over the place too , now im down to the last 25-30 to go .. things have slowed down for sure but ramping up the exercise and continueing this *lifestyle* is what will get me where i want to be smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 05:10PM by Jgunn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables