Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Theobromine - anti-cancer properties?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 12, 2009 08:45PM

I've been raw for 20 years and about a year ago started eating 'raw' chocolate, having avoided chocolate (with only very rare lapses) for the past twenty years. Recently I got wind that cacao is not the superfood many raw foodists claim it to be. However, I try and read around topics so that I can get the facts for myself. I came across this article claiming that theobromine has anti-cancer properties - including liver cancer - yet cacao-detractors claim theobromine is toxic to the liver. I thought I'd post it here as it seems like an open-minded group.
[www.freepatentsonline.com]

I also read on a forum (the post was apparently by an MD) that people have variable tolerance to theobromine - it can have serious side-effects for some people - tolerance is related to the individual's production of the CYP enzyme which breaks-down theobromine. If you have low levels of the CYP enzyme, you won't be able to break the theobromine down fast enough.
[forums.wrongdiagnosis.com] (post #7)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Theobromine - anti-cancer properties?
Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: June 12, 2009 09:00PM

Humm this is interesting. I pesonally would have said that you statement about tolerances was true. Also the caffiene like substence would have the same effect as coffee. For people with UC I would not recommend it especially as it is acidic and can create dihrea. I find that I need to keep my body alkaline.

How ever this is an interesting topic. As I work for Godiva.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 13, 2009 01:54PM

Goji,

The first link is a summary of a patent application. Note the language:

Disclosed is theobromine with an anti-carcinogenic activity which inhibits the suppression of GJIC

This appears to be an isolate form of theobromine, and probably a specific, genetically altered one, as a natural form could not be submitted for a patent. I wouldn't presume that this suggests anything about the non-synthetic whole food form.

As for the second discussion, the posters illustrating the chemical breakdown of theobromine are correct. It is enzyme specific, and the lack of the enzyme causes theobromine to have a toxifying effect on the liver tissues.

I like a small amount of raw chocolate now and then; the flavor is pleasant and the texture is satisfyingly rich. Is it medicinal? You know, there's a reason it was restricted for the ritual use of the Aztec priest class and royal family, and was given to soldiers for berserking in wartime. It was a stimulant in that culture, but used chiefly as sedative, like an herbal tea, in Europe. Maybe unless you're from Meso Indian peoples, you can't metabolize chocolate properly?

People really need to stop romanticizing these "exotic" substances, and get back to reason and science in evaluating them. Thanks for posting the links--intriguing.

Posted by: lawofattraction ()
Date: June 13, 2009 09:00PM

have you tried reading 'naked chocolate' i bet that mite shine some light on you

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 16, 2009 02:13AM

I stoped eating cacao when I found my heartbeat racing and I become so nervous due to it. That was enough to convince me that it wasn't good for me.

Hellokitty, I don't know how you can work for Godiva. Since I stopped eating sugar, just getting within 10 feet of the candy aisle makes me dizzy due to the sugar in the air. I used to love Godiva chocolate, too. Sad.

Date: June 17, 2009 10:02AM

Sorry life 101 I didn't see your post. The only reason why i work for Godiva is because I didn't know I had UC when i started with them. They are a great company and have supported me even though I no longer eat any products.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: June 17, 2009 10:28AM

Sugar has the same effect on me as it does on Life 101.

When I walk down the cake isle at the market I get such a sick feeling. It is similar to my sensitivities to the smells when I walk down the laundry detergent isle. I really can't stand it. I actually got the same feeling when I was near a big cake at a graduation party.

Date: June 17, 2009 10:36AM

At them moment i need Godiva. They are paying me a good wage and I will pay off my new flat very quickly. When we have a new product and the customer asks have you tasted it. I just say its divine you will love it. They all say you so skinny I bet you don't eat chocolate. And I have to say I eat it every day. Even though its not true. Althoug it used to be. I won't work in chocolate forever, now I know I have IBD. I really used to think it was good for you.

Date: June 17, 2009 10:39AM

I used to be a pastry Chef as well. For Mr Al Fayed. LoL

Date: June 17, 2009 01:15PM

Hellokitty,

It's not a lie if you phrase it thusly,"Oh, I could eat chocolate every day!"[bright smile]. This is conditional, as in, I could eat chocolate every day, if that's what my diet and lifestyle where about. But the customer doesn't need the explanation, of course.

I wanted to be a pastry chef when I was in cooking school. I would still work as one, if the opportunity came along, but with a mind very much divorced from the activity of making pastries. I once worked for a chocolatier, and to this day, the smell of melted milk chocolate makes be gag.

Posted by: texasmelgal ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:22PM

maybe that's the cure I need, work with chocolate. i will have to say that I tend to run to chocolate on a bad day. I'll have to try out the raw chocolate once we start on raw.

Date: June 17, 2009 04:11PM

what is the cocoa bean on earth for then?same with the coffee bean for that matter? ive wondered what these edible delights could be here for, if not to eat.then, evereybodys different and may not tolerate a stimulant.hmm

Date: June 17, 2009 04:50PM

lawofattraction,

The cocoa bean is on earth to make a new cacao tree : )

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: June 17, 2009 06:31PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lawofattraction,
>
> The cocoa bean is on earth to make a new cacao
> tree : )

Exactly. The cocoa fruit is for eating and the cocoa seed is for making more cocoa trees to provide more cocoa fruit.

Date: June 17, 2009 07:48PM

so ive been on you tube for forever today and watched the nick good and d wolfe 'activating a superhero' vids and dw cleared up all misconceptions about cocao.well,enough anyway.

when you are demineralized,and you can get that way even by going raw,or on a diet like the 80/10/10,foods like cocao can harm you.dws alot better at explainin this info than i am. im sleepy today

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables