Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

KALE JUICE
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 24, 2009 08:00PM

Hello ! does anyone know if kale still interferes with the functioning of the thyroid gland even if you juice it ? if it does, then what other raw food can give you these nutrients without interfering w/ thyroid gland??
thank you !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KALE JUICE
Posted by: all4greens ()
Date: June 25, 2009 12:00PM

I did a little research and found an article that may help. I also have family history of thyroid disfunction but eat cruciferous vegys and don't have probs. as well as juicing kale.I am sorry for my poor computer skill and I am not sure how to do a link but can give the address maybe someone else could repost this properly to help with info distribution. lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/foods/cruciferous
hope this helps. suz

Re: KALE JUICE
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 25, 2009 12:17PM

..good article all4greens

"Nutrient Interactions...Iodine and Thyroid Function

"Very high intakes of cruciferous vegetables, such as cabbage and turnips, have been found to cause hypothyroidism (insufficient thyroid hormone) in animals (68). Two mechanisms have been identified to explain this effect. The hydrolysis of some glucosinolates found in cruciferous vegetables (e.g., progoitrin) may yield a compound known as goitrin, which has been found to interfere with thyroid hormone synthesis. The hydrolysis of another class of glucosinolates, known as indole glucosinolates, results in the release of thiocyanate ions, which can compete with iodine for uptake by the thyroid gland. Increased exposure to thiocyanate ions from cruciferous vegetable consumption or, more commonly, from cigarette smoking, does not appear to increase the risk of hypothyroidism unless accompanied by iodine deficiency. One study in humans found that the consumption of 150 g/day (5 oz/day) of cooked Brussels sprouts for four weeks had no adverse effects on thyroid function (69)."

[lpi.oregonstate.edu]

..there were rabbit studies in the 30's using purified diets very high in cabbage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables