Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

are all foods edible raw
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 04, 2008 12:36AM

I am new to this, i just read a recipe that beets can be eaten raw, does that also include the leaves? Also, I didn't realize one could eat yams/sweet potatoe raw either. So with all this I realized I had really limited myself in what one can eat raw.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Any books for a beginner?

Its a beautiful day,
Bandit

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: are all foods edible raw
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 04, 2008 12:42AM

David Z Mason compiled a great list of edible raw fruits/veggies/nuts etc. you should check out

click on the link that says master list of raw foods
[www.rawfoodfarm.com]

no need to limit yourself smiling smiley

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 04, 2008 01:06AM

i've never heard of a sweet potato or yam being edible raw; most yams are cooked where they derive from (tropics) by locals

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: December 04, 2008 01:09AM

Define "food."

smiling smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 04, 2008 01:42AM

Yes. Beet leaves are fine. That's all Swiss Chard is anyway (rootless beet). You CAN eat raw potato or yam...but I would avoid this...as there are sometimes toxic compounds in green potato....and various roots can be hard to digest raw.

-You (generally) aren't going to get anything that could possibly hurt you (in reasonable quantities) in the produce section of your local megamart. Try things you might not have tried before like:

-carrot, radish or beet tops
-fresh sweet corn
-green beans or peas/pea pods
-Jicama
-Other veggies like: brussels sprouts, asparagus or cabbage

Note: There are very few (megamart) produce you can/should avoid. Much more care/training should be taken when eating wild plants. Here's the link for some extra info:

[en.wikipedia.org]

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: December 04, 2008 06:42AM

Hi Bandit

Warning on 'yams/sweet potatoes'.

In the UK sweet potatoes are the longish, red/pink root veg. They're definitely edible raw, but suggest you grate them. They taste really good.

There has been confusion because I believe that some people in the USA call the above vegetables yams.

What we call yams are quite different - and grey-coloured. These are most definitely toxic in their raw state (and for this reason I don't think should be eaten cooked either!). I once followed a David Wolfe suggestion for juicing a 'yam'. It tasted so unpleasant and gave me such unpleasant physical symptoms that I can only assume he meant the 'sweet potato' vegetable.

Beetroot - is OK juiced, but some beets can give a 'burning' feeling in the throat - that says they're too high in oxalic acid. Beet leaves - toxic, I believe.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: December 04, 2008 06:43AM

BTW, further to my last post, I believe that no foods are 'better for us' cooked.

If a food can't be eaten raw it's not a suitable food for human beings.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: December 04, 2008 07:35AM

I sometimes finely grate sweet potato, butternut squash and carrot and mix them altogether. They taste nice but I don't fall on it with cries of glee like some foods. Just because it can be eaten raw doesn't mean that it's delightful.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: December 04, 2008 12:31PM

Beet leaves aren't toxic; I eat them all the time. They are strong, though, and very effective at detox (with all its symptoms).

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 04, 2008 02:45PM

debbietook,

In the States, we have yams and sweet potatoes. The former is from Africa, the latter is from South America, and both are edible, though unpleasantly starchy, in their raw state. Interestingly, what you are referring to as a "grey-colored" yam sounds like the south Asian taro root, which is HIGHLY toxic in its raw state. The leaves of it, also. In the States, these are hard to find except in Philipino or Vietnamese groceries. The taro turns black when bruised, tastes like nothing, and is unbelievably slimy when cut. Unbelievably! It's used cooked and mashed the way we in the States and the UK use white potatoes. I wonder why they're more common in groceries in the UK? And why they're called yams? That's kind of dangerous!

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: December 04, 2008 03:34PM

The only thing I have ever come across is raw parsnips have a toxin that is broken down when cooked. The green under a potato skin has a toxin but you can get rid of it by peeling. (never tried raw potato though)

To incorporate veggie tops when I first tried them I would put them in a smoothie first to get warmed up to the taste.

Have fun & good luck!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 04, 2008 05:04PM

Thank you everyone for your warm and wonderful informing replies. I shall check out the site. Very interesting twist on yam/sweet potatoes and beets/leaves so I think I shall start slowly and go with the list shared by David.

This is all foreign to my brain, eating brussel sprous and asparagus raw as they are my favorite vegi when cooked.

It seems from all the wonderful responses that eating vegi's raw, my palate will have flavor experiences very different from the cooked flavors.

Again, thank you everyone,
Bandit

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 04, 2008 07:01PM

yams = tropical root vegetable, NOT sweet potato; though a part of the US refers to their sweet potatoes as "yams" because they are a special kind (only coming from that part of the US)

sweet potato = enlarged root of a vine, not a russet potato, not a yam, but a sweet potato

they do digest better when cooked, which is why early man cooked root vegetables - it's pretty much logical to do when dealing with something that you can't bite into and chew easily

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables