Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question for career folks - how do you plan menus for work??
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: June 29, 2009 02:40AM

I have always worked full-time, but was fortunately on a 2-week break the last 2 weeks to take a break before starting my new job tomorrow. I confess that I am PETRIFIED because I'm not sure how I will handle my new eating routine while I'm at work. I've already prepared huge amounts of raw snack stuff and food for lunches (juicer should arrive tomorrow, thank goodness). Any personal experiences and suggestions or advice would be very welcome right now. I'm VERY nervous........ about the new job ....... and about incorporating my new lifestyle into my schedule.
Thanks so much.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for career folks - how do you plan menus for work??
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 29, 2009 03:13AM

i have a magic bullet at work to make stuff with , i carry 6pack size coolers (the soft ones not the hard plastic ones) filled with all my favorite whole fruits and veggies - i bring 6-8 of them because i like to keep each fruit/veg seperate so smells dont mix up smiling smiley i have bags of nuts and seeds and keep oils in the fridge at work , i keep little fruit bowl on my desk and a little veggie plate to much on all day , with my big ass smoothie i made in the morning smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 29, 2009 10:30AM

I bring fruit with me or buy it somewhere. I eat almost every hour if I can or every two hours.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 29, 2009 01:36PM

it's been a while since I had a 9 - 5 type job, but when I did I found it pretty easy - just made up a smoothie for the morning, took a few pieces of fruit as a snack, and made up a salad with plenty of filling stuff like avo etc for lunch. And maybe a small bag of nuts as an afternoon snack. I didn't feel the need to take tonnes of stuff in, just looked like a regular lunch pack. I work evenings usually now, so I tend to just take an apple and a bag of nuts, don't always need it, but nice to have it in case I get hungry smiling smiley

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: June 29, 2009 10:00PM

I make a full container of smoothie, consume a pint whilst getting ready for work.
That usually keeps me going for about three hours.
I put the rest in flasks.
I investd in two of those flasks that keep food cold for 12 hrs. If i place ice cubes in them then it works.
Its time consuming in the morning, but I like having ready made smoothies to hand.

I take a bag of apples and fruit that transports easily like oranges.
If i have to have a working lunch, then i prepare a salad to eat with collegues.

New job and new lifestyle ,perfect combination.
Just go for it. Claim it, Live it, enjoy it. Embrace the new you.
ffx
ffx

Date: June 30, 2009 12:15AM

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions. Will definitely keep you posted. I can use tips from all those good ideas. THANK YOU!! =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 30, 2009 10:41AM

I dont do menus

I work a 50 hour week in gov offices. I take kg oranges, couple kgs banana's and a sack of avos in at the start of the week... simple as that!

I found when I first started raw it was easier to do a huge salad, loads of trimmings. I also used a tiffin for a while.. would do 1 layer pasta, 2 layer sald..and 3 layer choc dessert and then just carry some fruit... maybe an idea for you?? can get hold of them easily and cheap as anything

Date: June 30, 2009 12:13PM

Yes, I agree. I don't do "menu's" either. Eating a large variety/quantity of the various ingredients as I need them or have them on hand is easier for me. Thanks again. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: June 30, 2009 07:52PM

I work at home,so the planning is the trip to the fridgesmiling smiley

Vinny

Posted by: Buzurg ()
Date: June 30, 2009 10:38PM

I would suggest:

A loaf of nuts
a jug of water
and Thou...

Unless you're really hungry and then it's green smoothies or a colorful salad amidst the poetic picnic for work.

Celebrate your new job with a few cacao treats!

Peace,
Buzurg

P.S. I just joined this list a few days ago, and I am so glad to be here!

Date: July 01, 2009 12:12AM

What is a "loaf" of nuts ??

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: July 01, 2009 03:26AM

What I have done is: soak some nuts and then blend/mix them with other foods as a flavoring - like raisins or cinamon or gogi berries or caraway seeds, most any inspiration works if you follow your intuition - and then make small "bread" slices, or bars if you will, and put them in the dehydrator. In time you will have a dense filling, nutritious food you can carry with you throughout the day. If you change the seasonings you can skip the dehydrator and have a pate that rolls up nicely in some marinated de-stemmed collards or nori sheets.

Peace,
Buzurg

Date: July 01, 2009 10:29AM

What a wonderful idea! Thank you, Buzurg! =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: July 02, 2009 10:06AM

personally wouldnt suggest eating a load of fancy and IMO dead items

but.. if it helps you transition fine

I would do huge salads, glorious smoothies and lots of fresh vibrant produce for a starting point

Date: July 02, 2009 02:37PM

what does "IMO" mean?

Peace,
Buzurg

Date: July 02, 2009 02:46PM

"In my opinion." Sometimes you will see it written as "IMHO" which is a nicer way of saying it - "In my humble opinion."

Thanks for ALL the various in-put. You are all sincere and convicted in your opinions and it's how we all learn. Please don't knock or criticize another individual's personal decisions because it is what works for THEM !! Always be ready and willing to share your own knowledge and experience, because that's how we LEARN from each other. I wouldn't know a fraction of the things I do now if it were not for wonderful folks like you to help educate and support me along the way. I especially appreciate the ones who jump in with encouragement for those of us newbies who might stumble along the way and get confused and lost and make "mistakes." The most encouraging thing I've discovered in this journey is that we can't really make "mistakes," because the whole journey itself is one of progress, and no matter where it leads us, it will be what it right for each of US individually and we'll all be better, healthier, more spiritual people in the end.

Love and Thanks to you all. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: July 02, 2009 02:49PM

rawdanceruk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would do huge salads, glorious smoothies and
> lots of fresh vibrant produce for a starting point

That's exactly what I've been doing, with alot of experimentation along the way. I simply HAD to throw out the dandelion greens. No matter HOW I tried to fix them, they are as bitter as everything and I couldn't stand them! *LOL* So I'm sticking to green lettuces, kale, collards, etc. Learning as I go and making a HUGE mess in my kitchen along the way, but having a ball !! =) And feeling GREAT !!!!! =)

Keep those awesome suggestions coming! =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 02, 2009 02:59PM

my good ol hippy friend told me once that the rule of thumb is never eat a dandelion leaf that is longer then your own thumb or will be too bitter for you, as we all have differently long or short thumbs its an individual thing , apparently there is a pressure point on the end of the thumb somewhere that corresponds with the bitter section of your tongue smiling smiley

and there ya go another useless but interesting fact brought to you by ..... tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 02, 2009 03:27PM

Thanks Jgunn. I always enjoy your light-hearted, humorous posts. =) And it's NEVER "useless" information for those of us who are newbies in the raw world. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: July 02, 2009 10:09PM

It's all an ever deepening, unfolding experiment/experience...no mistakes even though there are continual adjustments...reflections...a cosmic and comic and evolving and earth wisening heavenly trip...celebrate your choices, food and otherwise. Yaahooo!

Peace,
Buzurg

Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: July 03, 2009 02:56AM

I have two 32 oz. vaccum seal thermoses that are great for storing smoothies overnight. the night before work I make a batch of smoothie, and a big salad (keep avocados whole and romaine unchopped until you're ready to eat). On Monday's I bring in a bag of oranges or apples that I keep on the desk and share with co-workers. Making big batches of dehyrated 'raw' crackers / cookies / breads are good for curbing the sweet tooth when co-workers bring in the "real" (sugar, flour, lard) cookies and cakes...

Date: July 03, 2009 11:29AM

absolutely you have to do what works for YOU

When I started I would pack elaborate lunches, take cakes, buscuits, deserts etc with me. It helped in the first instance.

Now things are more simplied, your diet will evolve.. whatever works for now, take it and embrace it smiling smiley

Date: July 03, 2009 02:59PM

I agree. I love the thermos idea, because we do alot of long-distance biking and I wondered how to get around my meal planning and take things with me. Just got new saddlebags on my motorcycle, so I'm excited about loading 'em up with thermoses of smoothies and juices. Yay!! =) Thanks so much.

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: fiddler1 ()
Date: July 03, 2009 11:35PM

I bought a huge lunch bag for starters. Carry a small cutting board and small sharp knife inside. Keep containers of nuts and seeds in there. Keep dressing or oils at work. Pile in the greens, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and cut away at lunch time. Always a few people coming around to see what I am concocting each day! Somewhat of a performance!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables