Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Camp? What should I eat??
Posted by: Clairebear ()
Date: July 01, 2009 08:44PM

I'm going to camp in a few months (it's a fall camp).
They are very friendly to different diets, all of their food is vegetarian, and they have tons of vegan options (which I really enjoyed last year).
But they don't believe in eating sugar, so we only ate fruit maybe 6 times out of 7 days, they do have REALLY nice salads with lunch and dinner.
But should I bring some Larabars or something? and just let them know I'm raw?
I'm debating eating small amounts of cooked food, and loading up on salad. But I also would HATE to get sick while I'm there for changing my diet so much.
And I'll be their for about 18 days.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Camp? What should I eat??
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 02, 2009 02:34PM

I'm curious to know what and where this camp is? *LOL* I WANNA GO TOO !!! =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 02, 2009 11:48PM

Clairebear--

When we go camping (hubby and self) for 10-14 days at a stretch on an isolated island, we take nuts, chocolate nibs, dried fruit, Lara bars (or similar), and sometimes I take dehydrated improvised salad fixings, like dried parsley and celery, sundried tomatoes, plus avocadoes (I wrap them in foil; even I'm not exactly sure why!, lol), onions (they keep well), seaweed (dulse is the only type I like) and lemon juice or raw vinegar-- nice in the evening. I've experimented with adding dried daikon to salad too-- interesting. (You can get it at Japanese food stores.) We've been camping every summer since 1992 on this island, and have experimented with a lot of things; this is what we've come up with that works for us. Of course the first couple of days we can feast on fresh fruit, but after that it really has to be dehydrated or relatively imperishable things.

When I camp and I want to avoid food and just fast, I either do spring water or I'll take some bottles of organic bottled lemon juice and agave nectar (not raw, but there really is no alternative when camping) and just have lemonade for the duration. Even lemons will start to get moldy after a few days, so that's out.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: July 03, 2009 12:05AM

wow, you might get hungry, all that time without much fruit, if I were you I'd try and take some if it's possible, or let them know about your diet so they can provide some for you. Dried fruit (you could soak it once you got there) and lara bars would be useful, but fresh would of course be better.

have a great time smiling smiley

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 04, 2009 09:59AM

if they have plenty os salad I dont see a problm

personally I would take loads of fruit with me, or ring ahead and let them know I need fresh produce and plenty of it!! assuming you have paid to go on this camp...so should get what you need whilst there

I would take in suitcase, oranges, banana's, apples..all easy to store..cheap etc

Date: July 04, 2009 01:28PM

Guys,
WHen you're camping more than a couple days, how can you take lots of fresh fruit, unless you've got access to refrigeration-- it won't stay fresh. Another consideration is the weight-- ever try to carry enough fruit to last 18 days (unless it's dehydrated), and hike into a campsite with it? Extremely heavy.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 04, 2009 03:58PM

she isnt CAMPING. she is attending CAMP. two different things!!

I went to camp everyear as a kid, I always brought what I needed as a lactose/gluten intollerant crohns sufferer!! lol however they also prepared meals that I requested so I had options.

dont ask dont get smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2009 03:59PM by rawdanceruk.

Date: July 04, 2009 05:39PM

>she isnt CAMPING. she is attending CAMP. two different things!!<

I know, I get that she's going to a camping retreat where food is going to be served, but mostly cooked food; and my guess is she'll be staying with others in a cabin or similar accomodations. My question was: where is she going to store fresh fruit for 18 days? Will they allow her to put her fruits and vegies in a big refrigerator somewhere? I doubt it. Maybe there will be a small refrigerator in the cabin?

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 04, 2009 05:42PM

The items I mentioned dont need refridgerating. if I payed to go to a retreat, I would bring exactly what I wanted!lol smiling smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 04, 2009 08:50PM

I hear you Claire. The above suggestions are great. You are only going to be there for 18 days. Heh...heh. In a lifetime of habits/eating...that is definitely a blip! As you say, they have good salads...and they DO have fruit. I would just let them know that is all you want to eat during your stay......and bring whatever extra snacks you feel are good. No problems. No worries.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: July 04, 2009 10:26PM

rawdanceuk--
You must have really hardy apples, bananas and oranges in the UK! Here in my neck of the woods in the U.S. they wouldn't last out of the refrigerator for more than 3-4 days. ;-p

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 05, 2009 09:05AM

hehe I am perplexed.. I have oranges that have been out for two weeks whilst I have been away.... they are fine!! maybe its cos its so cold here!!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 05, 2009 09:20AM

quite frankly im always a little suspicious of the odd fruit or veggie i get that seems to last longer then *usual* i had a canteloupe last year that i put on shelf on my outdoor ripening shelf and it was there over a month before it started to *go*.

what i suspect is although it wasnt marked so , i beleive it was irradiated (at the risk of sounding paranoid here ;p) i dont think lablelling laws are in place here yet regarding irradiation and quite honestly why wouldnt some processors just not bother to inform us even if it is done, (yes i beleive in this deeper conspiracy lol)

or it could have been drastically underripe when i got it but it sure makes me wonder hmmmmm smiling smiley

here is an example with mangosteens .. a few paragraphs down not that mangosteens from thailand are required by the USDA to be irradiated ... so if i get a mangosteen in canada from the USA that came from thailand . im getting an irradiated product and dont even know it :/ (no wonder that mangosteen lasted a couple weeks on my counter lol) im sure there are many other examples [www.friedas.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2009 09:33AM by Jgunn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables