Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Need ideas for tomato alternatives
Posted by: Juno77 ()
Date: July 05, 2009 12:27AM

Since eating much more raw (like 80%) I have noticed that my body does not like tomatoes. I have been much more sensitive to many things since starting this and more aware of how things make me feel. Everytime I eat it in something when raw, I get a headache. I never noticed this when cooked. So, I am trying to not eat it for a while and see how I feel. Tomatoes seem to be a staple in many many raw recipes. Does anyone have ideas of something I could use in place. I was thinking maybe another not so sweet fruit like apricots? I also don't do red bell peppers.

Any recommendations of nuts that would be best in place of cashews and brazil nuts in recipes.

Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need ideas for tomato alternatives
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 05, 2009 03:13AM

For the nuts, almonds or macadamias.

For the tomatoes, alas, there really isn't a substitute. If it's a salad, sub with a non-nightshade fruit. If it's a dressing, citrus.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 05, 2009 03:45PM

I dont eat tomatoes often : yellow peppers, apricots, nectarines, plums..all work well in salad or dressing (depends what on of course!!0

What recipies are you trying to sub for?? as far as nuts... tricky..depends what your making.. a milk..or a crust..depends what its for!

Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: July 06, 2009 12:50AM

I'd use mangoes to sub for tomatoes in dressings/salsa. You can also switch to pesto-sauces for "pastas."

Pine nuts are a good sub for cashews in non-dessert type dishes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables