Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help! Raw foods are thinning our blood TOO much?
Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: July 09, 2009 01:39PM

My husband and I are noticing that our blood is much thinner now that we are regularly consuming green smoothies every morning. My husband in particular is bothered by this. He says if he is hit by something that doesn't break the skin, blood pools up under the surface and will actually start seeking out his pores a little (ew). I know people on the SAD have too thick blood, so thinner is better, but this seems unatural. I don't want toxins in my blood, but my blood should clot properly when it needs to. Any thoughts on this? Anything we should eat more of (besides junk) to balance this out? I eat way more raw than my husband does and he is having a bigger issue with this. But we both noticed blood thinning around the same time, so it must be something common we both do---like the smoothies. Smoothies are made with 1 cup of OJ, inch slice of pineapple, 1 orange, and greens like kale, and recently fresh lambsquarters. He doesn't vary his greens as much as me. The other ingredients always stay the same for both of us.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! Raw foods are thinning our blood TOO much?
Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: July 09, 2009 02:04PM

How long have you been raw. Ive been 3 weeks as so far Im ok with that. Humm I dont know how to help?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 09, 2009 03:08PM

musicbebe,

This is very curious, as you seem to have signs of a clotting factor protein disorder, but one of the best ways to manage this naturally is by consuming large amounts of Vitamin K, like . . . leafy greens and green smoothies! Is there anything else different about your diet or lifestyle that preceded or occurred simultaneously with this blood thinning? Is it maybe something your doctor can determine through bloodwork?

Date: July 09, 2009 04:00PM

To be honest I have heard that about this. Some one on healingwell had the same problem only they were doing the SCD diet. I got the impression they were not eating engough carbs. I eat about 10 bananas which they were not doing. So I am getting more carbs on the raw food diet than they were on SCD. I don't know if you are having this problem though.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 09, 2009 04:02PM

What would you know about any of it HelloKitty, you're a young female and barely been raw at all.

Date: July 09, 2009 04:11PM

I don't all I know is that someone had the same problem on the SCD diet. Thanks for the young coment. WhoooooWoooo! How old do you think I am.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 09, 2009 04:17PM

Hellokitty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't all I know is that someone had the same
> problem on the SCD diet. Thanks for the young
> coment. WhoooooWoooo! How old do you think I am.

Now that you said that? I'll guess 26.

If you hadn't said that... maybe 19...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2009 04:18PM by SuperInfinity.

Date: July 09, 2009 04:28PM

Ill be 33 this year. But in any case musicbebe I am new. I don't really know so I don't want to give advice about anything but this is something since I started being raw I have been looking out for. The thing is I dont want to stop this diet, and the Person on healing well had to, and it was becuase of this problem. I am not sure what she was not doing because she said she was following it by the book. I do know that she had to seek medical advice about it and now she is on the SAD diet agian. Thats all I really know. I do know that some people on healing well go to far with Atkins diet and don't eat any fruit and eat too much meat. I was talking to a guy who was doing that. I told him im trying the raw foods and he said he cannot tolorate raw foods. So that is all I can really say. And I am watching my self for this as well.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 09, 2009 04:35PM

Now, I'm quite sure that our forum doesn't welcome ageist comments, such as ASSuming that only people of a certain age have knowledge of this or that, so please refrain from any such ignorant statements.

Date: July 09, 2009 04:42PM

Sorry I didn't mean to make an igorant comment. I will not make any further. I realy on you guys to help me. I I have this situation I will post it. As it is someting I watch out for and would like to know about.

Date: July 09, 2009 04:45PM

In answer to the OP, I haven't noticed a problem with clotting at all.

Date: July 09, 2009 05:30PM

Oh my, just had my post deleted on accident...hate that! - wrote a lot!

Hello kitty-- utopian life was not referring to you, he was referring to SuperInfinity who made the initial insensitive, rude comment about you being a young lady new to raw so what would you know. I value your opinion, hellokitty, and you have nothing to apologize about!

Something else happened to me today after I posted my question. My blood thinning issue may be different than my husband's issue. I didn't connect everything in my head till now. We've both had lambsquarters(lq) in our smoothies for the past four days. We've had a lot of lq leaves in each smoothie. I read an article (will post link soon) about lambsquarters being a culprit in nitrate poisoning in livestock, with symptoms of dizziness, tremors, and weakness--symptoms I had this morning and yesterday. What happens (I think I got this straight) is that nitrates convert to nitrites in your intestines and those nitrites bind with hemoglobin in your blood, so that your blood cells start to not be able to transport oxygen. This can lead to death. Nitrate poisoning can happen to people too. Generally plants take up nitrates and convert it to something else with the aid of sunlight via photosynthesis. In periods of drought or low sunlight there may be dangerous levels of nitrate in the leaves of certain plants, especially younger plants. Well, my lq is young, growing densely together (limiting sunlight to lower leaves), and the soil is dry. I wonder if that's what was happening to me, and if so, could changes to my hemoglobin affect its ability to clot? I noticed the clotting issue yesterday.

My husband on the other hand isn't having the same symptoms as me right now, though he got bit by a cat a month ago and is feeling very run down from that. So symptoms wouldn't be obvious. And cat bites btw can cause infections that take up to 6 to 8 weeks to heal! Anyway, his smoothies had always been with kale (for at least several weeks) and he noticed that blood-pore thing two weeks ago (we may have had lq once in that time period). I searched and found that kale is high in K, which is what helps your blood clot, but also anti-estrogenic, which can be blood-thinning. Really what it boils down to, is we must rotate our greens. I was thinking alkaloid toxicity could be a factor in both our cases too, though I rotate my greens more than he.

Tonya Zavasta said at a rcent lecture that her blood is thin because of all the greens she takes. She claims this is normal though, and that blood should be this thin in everyone. She said they wanted to give her coumadin or at least aspirin to thin her blood around her major surgery, but she refused knowing those meds are good for standard americans with thick, "normal" blood, but dangerous for her. She read later in a drug interaction book that coumadin can kill someone who eats a diet very high in green leafy vegetable. But she said nothing about clotting in her lecture, and I didn't ask, because we weren't experiencing these problems then. I wonder what she would say about this. I also think if that's true about the blood thinning properties of greens then raw foodists must know this info, because of these drug interactions. She said hospitals become more and more dangerous for you, the farther you are froma typical "sick" american. Drugs and things like that are tested on people that eat cooked foods, and usually animal products, and for those people, drugs could be helpful. But no large drug studies have been done to see their affect on a raw foodist's body.

Thoughts???

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 09, 2009 05:33PM

For myself, I've noticed that since I've been raw, my wound heal much faster than before when I was eating SAD. It used to take me hours to heal a small cut sometimes, but nowadays a wound will clot and stop bleeding in a minute or so.

Date: July 09, 2009 05:35PM

Link on nitrate poisoning:

[www.idiamondi.com]

Link on foods and blood thinning. This person wrote a well researched article but warns she is not an expert, though I found a lot of this info from expert sources myself:

[www.ctds.info]

Also, that articles mentions something - forgot to say about salicylates (sp?), which are blood thinning and present in OJ and oranges--something in our smoothies every day!! My current conclusion is we need more greens to balance this out for us, but we must be more careful to rotate them and avoid the lambsquarters for now (oh how I hate the thought of that though...they are so nutritious otherwise and the only green currently in my garden!)

Date: July 09, 2009 05:40PM

Hellokitty Wrote:
> Sorry I didn't mean to make an igorant comment. I
> will not make any further. I realy on you guys to
> help me. I I have this situation I will post it.
> As it is someting I watch out for and would like
> to know about.

EXACTLY WHAT MUSIC SAID!! I was referring to the rude comment, not yours. I have NEVER, ever seen you be anything but polite on here, Hellokitty, and I appreciate your posts. Thank you.

Date: July 09, 2009 05:41PM

musicbebe Wrote:
> Oh my, just had my post deleted on accident...hate
> that! - wrote a lot!
>
> Hello kitty-- utopian life was not referring to
> you, he was referring to SuperInfinity who made
> the initial insensitive, rude comment about you
> being a young lady new to raw so what would you
> know. I value your opinion, hellokitty, and you
> have nothing to apologize about!
>

Absolutely agree. Also think it's bizarre to discriminate or make negative comments on not only age but also sex. "You are a young female." as if either were relevant to our discussion. I apologize on behalf of SuperInfinity, Hellokitty.

Date: July 09, 2009 05:46PM

Great post and great info! Well I don't know why the lady on healing well had the blood problem. The SCD diet consists of a lot of meat and people sometimes go overboad and dont eat engouh of anything else. She did however end up in hospital. Not that I am trying to panic you about that. But That is why I posted the comment, I wasent tying to sound knowledgeful or anything.

It is exreamly useful to know the infomation about the durgs as well. I will keep following more info. drug interaction books? Where can I find this? It is agian interesting. I know swine flu is something the UK is always talking about and I have to do meetings on swine flu at the moment as I have to keep my store hygenic. If it is caught they recommed tylanol. I don't know how that effects you and raw.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: July 09, 2009 06:11PM

When I was juice feasting for 45 days my period was incredibly 'flowy', very bright red. Then it stopped altogether. Now back to eating (some cooked beans, all else raw) it is back, and clotty, dark. (sorry for the TMI!)

This observation intrigued me. Interesting thread.

Date: July 09, 2009 06:12PM

Any way guys I m happy about the young part. and the 19. Wow I would not say 19.I thought I could get away with 28. 19 Ill go for that. Anyway femals do know as much as males.

Date: July 09, 2009 06:55PM

Just because you were flattered unintentionally by the ignorant/discriminatory comment does not mean that it should be acceptable to make comments such as that here.

Date: July 09, 2009 07:29PM

HelloKitty,

I am not sure which drug book she was referring to. I am going to attend another one of her lectures very soon. I'm going to be sure to ask about the book she referred to, as well as asking her about the clotting issue.

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: July 09, 2009 09:39PM

cocoa_nibs Wrote:
> When I was juice feasting for 45 days my period
> was incredibly 'flowy', very bright red. Then it
> stopped altogether. Now back to eating (some
> cooked beans, all else raw) it is back, and
> clotty, dark. (sorry for the TMI!)
>
> This observation intrigued me. Interesting thread.

Cocoa_ nibs
I experience exactly the same thing when high raw (esp juice fasting)
ffx

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 10, 2009 07:53AM

I am a very slow healer, I have scars from 15 years ago which are still raised

I split my knee open 10 days ago, only now is it fully sealed, not breaking open/gushing with blood everytime I shower or train

...Not too sure what it is, I eat a high fruit diet, but as I said I have always healed very slowly, on SAD or raw . Now I have more troble clotting properly.

Luckily I dont fall over often!!

Date: July 10, 2009 10:34AM

Utopian Life Wrote:
> Just because you were flattered unintentionally by
> the ignorant/discriminatory comment does not mean
> that it should be acceptable to make comments such
> as that here.

Coompletly agreed

Date: July 10, 2009 10:37AM

musicbebe Wrote:
> HelloKitty,
>
> I am not sure which drug book she was referring
> to. I am going to attend another one of her
> lectures very soon. I'm going to be sure to ask
> about the book she referred to, as well as asking
> her about the clotting issue.

That is great. When you attend the lecture would you be able to post any info. I am intreged and would like to know as much as possible. I do have asthma as well and would like to know how those drug interact with being raw. However my allergies have improved very quickly since I started this diet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables