Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

help!
Posted by: lilbear ()
Date: July 09, 2009 02:07AM

hey everyone,

ive been vegan for yrs, then a really healthy vegan, fruit till twelve everyday for a year, then 50, 80, 90% raw, and have now been 100% raw for about 2-3 months. my transition went fine and my detox symptoms seem to be gone, but-

im ALWAYS hungry!

im about 52 kilos, 21 yrs old and i do not exercise - but im always studying/doing intellectual work which my naturopath said burns a lot of calories?

anyway, im eating pretty much every hour, and nothing seems to fill me up. to combat this ive recently been doing 2, sometimes more avocadoes a day and lots of nuts and seeds, coconuts and more fruit...but im still waking up starving and going to bed hungry every night. i seem to be eating more than double the amount that your average raw foodist eats, its bizarre.

has anyone else had an experience like this? could this be something that might pass as im raw for a bit longer?

the fact that im eating a lot and lots of fats doesnt concern me - its more that its just very inconvinient - im eating hourly, so cant do anything for a prolonged period of time, cant study very effectively - if i go out for a couple of hrs i need to bring a fruit shop in my bag, so i dunno whats gonna happen when uni and work go back...

i also find that these amazing energy levels every raw foodist seem to have i dont - im lethargic and sleepy all the time...

anyone have any ideas?

any help would be much apreciated - im going a bit insane

thanks everyone,

lilbear

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help!
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 09, 2009 02:14AM

Lilbear:

Healthy eating is not a cure-all - as I'm sure you're aware. There is also good sleeping habits....sunlight....fresh air....exercise......good mental habits....etc. If you are maintaining an adequate weight.....and you are still hungry...you might be eating for other reasons (emotional...boredom...etc.).

On the practical side....you can try eating fewer and larger meals. Eat large amounts of greens....sprinkled with sprouts...until you ARE full. Just some tips.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 09, 2009 02:29AM

Sometimes I just "graze" through the day when I get hungry, but other times (depending on hormones), I can't seem to eat ENOUGH food!! When I'm starving to death, I make a HUGE, mixing-bowl size salad and LOAD it with various greens, veggies (tomatoes, onions, radishes, carrots) and chop up an avocado into it. I mean it's a HUGE salad!! I pig-out on it until I'm so stuffed that I can't stuff in another lettuce leaf. *LOL* That usually satisfies those ravenous cravings and hunger when they hit.

I eat alot of my raw food in smoothie form due to my work schedule as a nurse, but to get ENOUGH food to satisfy me, I have to drink several quarts a day. I make them all at one time in the morning in quart jars and take them to work. I use whatever I have on-hand: Berries, Grapes, Apples, Carrots, Peaches, Nectarines, Bananas, Tomatoes, Celery, and lots of dark greens like Kale, Spinach, or Parsley. It turns out to be a thick, nasty-looking goop, but it always tastes good when I put in plenty of fruit and it definitely fills me up. I drink a whole quart at a time. Whenever I'm hungry throughout the day, I graze on apples, peaches, nectarines, or fresh veggies just to quell the hungries.

You might be lacking in QUANTITY to satisfy your needs.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 09, 2009 02:31AM

I don't know... try cutting out all fish/meat/nuts and especially oils and see how you feel then. I've no idea why you would be hungry "all the time", maybe you have a really big build or maybe you had an awful lot of weight to begin with?... frankly I'm not sure if I believe you. There's something funny about this topic.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: July 09, 2009 05:02AM

lilbear Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> has anyone else had an experience like this? could
> this be something that might pass as im raw for a
> bit longer?

Here's another thread about this same problem and people think that it's a normal transistion problem.
[www.rawfoodtalk.com]

Posted by: veganreikiangel ()
Date: July 09, 2009 07:59AM

Well...I know Frederic Patnaude would reccomend eating more fruit. Then after you have a high fruit meal (after its digested) have a meal of lots of dark leafy greens!
that might help!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 09, 2009 02:13PM

I'm a big girl, and if I start my day with a 36 oz. smoothie consisting of 2T. ground flax seeds, a head of lettuce or a similar amount of other greens and 5 or so pieces of fruit, I'm good for four or more hours. I think the greens and flax are key here. Also, I wonder if exercise may actually help. I think our bodies are more efficient in general if they are exercised. It seems like the opposite would be the case because if you burn more calories you would think you are more hungry, but I feel more satisfied in general after a good workout. Maybe your body signals are mixed up in this regard. For example, I often think I am hungry when I am really thirsty, tired, or need to exercise.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 09, 2009 03:15PM

lilbear,

Agree with Sundancer. You don't list the quantities of foods, except fatty ones. Maybe your body wishes to get its calories from other things? DZM is also right: our bodies are programmed for variation in activity--not always sitting, not always moving, not always lying down, but a combination of these. Try taking a brief run or walk every few hours, and see if this helps regulate your hunger.

Lastly, have yourself thoroughly checked, blood and stool, for pathogenic infections, if your doctor hasn't already done so. It's a long shot, but you want to rule out parasitic infestation just to be sure.

Good health to you!

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 10, 2009 08:52AM

EAT eat eat

less fat, more fruit, more veg

dont be scared of quantities, just eat what you need

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables