Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

purple potatoes
Posted by: shane ()
Date: December 04, 2008 09:54PM

High glycemic load? Does anyone know if they increase blood sugar to wacky land?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: purple potatoes
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: December 05, 2008 12:31AM

I wouldn't eat them raw. Raw potatoes tend to make people not feel so well. Though cooked, I'd rather eat a purple than white one (phytonutrients!).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 05, 2008 02:26PM

I read that yams have the lowest glycemic impact.
But all potatoes require cooking to be agreeably edible.

Brian

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: December 05, 2008 05:40PM

New Potato mean of three studies -- 57±7 -- 12 -- 150 -- 5.29
..this gives the GI,GL,serving size in grams, and in oz.
[www.mendosa.com] foods'!A1416

..so with a GL of 12 for a serving size of 5.29oz it is considered to have a medium glycemic load.

I grow the purple, white, red, pinto, and fingerling.. for the interesting shapes sizes and colors.. none of them taste very sweet so I'm guessing they're like "new potatos"

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 05, 2008 06:01PM

Unpeeled raw potatoes are high in usable Vitamin C, potassium, sodium, and depending on where grown, chromium(which is necessary in proper insulin utilization). I would advise, as raw potatoes taste like the Devil's spit, that they be juiced with greens and lemon for the most palatable consumption. I tell you this out of personal experience and concern for your sanity. : )

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 05, 2008 06:10PM

i know red potatoes cooked are medium on the glycemic charts; i don't know if red are the same as purple; but yeah..pretty much i agree with what everyone else said. they aren't absorbed by the body well raw. nor do they taste good, or are easily chewed.

Date: December 05, 2008 08:01PM

iLIVE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i know red potatoes cooked are medium on the
> glycemic charts; i don't know if red are the same
> as purple; but yeah..pretty much i agree with what
> everyone else said. they aren't absorbed by the
> body well raw. nor do they taste good, or are
> easily chewed.

..children like the taste of raw potatoes in my experience, though just a couple bites.. I find'em nice and crunchie.. one raw is my limit though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 08:08PM by loeve.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: December 06, 2008 05:32AM

The first time I saw them, I wondered if they were some new kind of patented frankenpotatoes... I never saw them anywhere as a kid! (Then again, I never saw or even remotely imagined a durian before, either.)

The taste (cooked, anyway) is different. Starchier. Are they a good source of purple phytonutrients?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 06, 2008 10:13AM

[The taste (cooked, anyway) is different. Starchier.]

They are very popular in parts of Asia, in fact more often eaten than the orange type in Okinwawa (where the elders had an unusually high incidence of centenarianism, this is the single largest source of calories for them in their diets). I don't care for the taste much, I think the orange ones are much tastier.

I can get them for $1.99/lb at the Asian store, whereas the orange ones are around $0.39/lb. So I usually get orange.

[Are they a good source of purple phytonutrients?]

Yes, excellent.

Date: December 07, 2008 03:54PM

Good source of phytonutrients but also of starch[carbs]. I am told by a Peruvian friend that they were one of the first naturally hybridized potato crops. We in the Northern Hemisphere just didn't get them until the last few decades. I wonder if they're the same thing the Okinawans are eating? I though these were a variety of yam or taro? I'll look it up.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: December 10, 2008 01:25AM

I wouldnt eat them either. I know Ann Wigmore used them in recipes along time ago. In soups and shredded

Date: December 10, 2008 03:36AM

.. not for everyone certainly.. but like Ann Wigmore (thanks).... blending a Peruvian Purple Potato or an Okinowan Purple Sweet Potato (will look for them)into a soup works for me.. [www.deliciousorganics.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2008 03:41AM by loeve.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 10, 2008 07:08AM

There's a purple potato (called Purple Viking) that's purple on the outside and white on the inside.

But there's also a purple sweet potato (Okinawan sweet potato) that looks like a white yam on the outside, and it's purple on the inside. I haven't tried either of them, but I'd guess that the purple sweet potato is easier to eat raw than the purple potato.

There's ALSO a blue potato (called All Blue) that's blue on the outside AND the inside.

And there's a purple yam called ube.

Potatos (the All Blue and Purple Viking) are nightshade (Solanum), sweet potatos are Ipomoea, and yams are Dioscoreaceae.

Date: December 10, 2008 03:34PM

Wow, Suncloud, I know so much about potatoes now. : )

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 10, 2008 03:49PM

Suncloud,
Girl, you are an amazing repository of useful and interesting information!

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: December 13, 2008 09:50PM

Listed here is the Peruvian, one variety of purple potato (s. tuberosum) available in North America [www.seedsavers.org]

The ones I've grown the past 10 or so years are called "All Blue" (from my records) even though they are all purple like the Peruvians in the link!.. confusing?.. some I save for potato "sets" to plant in the spring, and some "volunteer" fortunately because some years I don't harvest or plant them yet they winter over and grow themselves.... I don't notice much difference in sweetness between the purple and white varieties..

.. that's interesting that the pigment purple occurs in so many species of root vegetables.. and even blue (new to me)..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2008 09:57PM by loeve.

Date: December 14, 2008 12:56PM

.. and yet more varieties of purple (and blue) potatoes (s. tuberosum) from Washinton State University's Potato Research and Extension:

[potatoes.wsu.edu]

Some seed sources are listed..

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: December 14, 2008 11:49PM

Wow loeve!

How do you like that potato soup you make? Do you feel OK after you eat it? Is it just the Peruvian Purple potato and and the Okinawan sweet potato, or do you add something else to it?

That's great that you grow your own!

Date: December 15, 2008 03:15AM

Thanks, Suncloud, for pointing out the various species and color purple (and even blue) in root veggies.. I'm excited about these phytonutrients.... maybe there's no need to wait for blueberry season now..

My recipes:

Potato(one)/carrots/kale/coconut soup -- tastes and feels good smiling smiley

Sweet potato/ground coconut soup -- yum!

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: December 15, 2008 09:15AM

Are we talking about potatoes (Solanum tuberosum), sweet potatoes (Ipomoea batatas) or yams (Dioscorea)?

Date: December 15, 2008 05:34PM

VeganLife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are we talking about potatoes (Solanum tuberosum),
> sweet potatoes (Ipomoea batatas) or yams
> (Dioscorea)?

Over the course of the thread, all three species have come up for discussion..

The term "purple potato" could refer to either S. tuberosum or I. batatas, depending on local custom and marketing, imo..

The Purple Peruvian and All Blue potatoes are S. tuberosum.

The Okinowa Sweet Potato is I. batatas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables