Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can you guys advice
Posted by: Mry_PL ()
Date: July 12, 2009 08:28AM

Hello everyone,
I wanna change something in my and my wifes life, and I thought that we already eat healthy.
I am also diabetic and my wife has lupus so we have to be carefull the rest of our life.
But when I started reading this forum I realised that there is still a lot to do.
As I wanna start this diet as a permanent and ongoing style of living could you please tell me
a few things:
I understand that this is all about eating raw food and I get this idea when it comes to
eating fruits but with vegies which some of them can be eaten raw (lettuce, raddishes, celery tomatoes etc.)
the other one`s are hard to imagine eating raw: bok choy, silver beet, beetroot, beans, brocoli ? How do you eat it, as I can`t
imagine eating it raw....?
Also how do you prepare grits like : quinoa, buckweat and others ??

I would really appreciate all your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can you guys advice
Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 12, 2009 09:05AM

Hey welcome!!

I put bok choy into salads myself, finely shredded, same with cabbage

Greens can be juiced or put into smoothies if you prefer not to eat the tougher kinds

green beans etc...fine..broccoli people often marinate with oil/salt to soften it up, again if you process it down..it can be eaten- maybe not the nicest thing

I find tougher things harder to digest so dont eat them regularly : ie cabbage, brocoli

Beets, Can use a mandoline slicer or juice them

Not too sure about grains as it isnt part of my eating, sure someone will be along to help you with that

All the best with you and your wifes raw journey smiling smiley I have healed myself of crohns on this journey, its the best feeling ever

Anyways, the guys here are fab, sure they will have lots of useful info for you

TTFN
Xx

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Raw since March 2007

http://rawveganlondoner.blogspot.com/

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 12, 2009 11:12AM

Good questions! As mentioned by RDUK, just about vegetables that you buy can be minced or sliced into your salads...depending on what your tastes are. Just about all the things you mentioned I've eaten in my salads. Many beans CAN be sprouted, if that's what you're into.

The grains you mentioned CAN be sprouted also - if you find them palatable.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Mry_PL ()
Date: July 12, 2009 11:33AM

Hello, thanks a lot for all the info you gave me. If anyone else has more to say please do so.
David, what do you mean that beans can be sprouted ? I was thinking about eating beans which you buy in pockets (dry ones). What do you do with those ?
I know that you can buy mung beans, alfa alfa etc but what about dry ones. Do you basically soak them and eat them like that ? What about grains ?
Thank you again. Peter

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 12, 2009 12:32PM

Hi Mry_PL --
Root veggies are delicious grated in salads. I also make a great raw soup with avocado, miso, grated veggies, raw mushrooms, bean sprouts, a little garlic and spice, and something called spirulina, a blue green algae (or maybe bacteria) that you can get at your local health food store. It's very nutritious and delish -- my four year old eats it plain! I just use a teaspoon or two.

For sprouts, I keep mung and adzuki beans and lentils mixed up in a big jar, and about once every three or four days I put about a quarter to a third of a cup in a half gallon jar and soak them overnight. My jar has a mesh lid. In the morning, I dump out the water and rinse them well, then lay the jar sideways on my counter out of the light. I rinse them three times a day in the summer, twice in the winter. In two to three days (when they get half inch long tails), I air dry them on a big plate for a couple of hours, then put them in a quart jar in the fridge. I throw them in everything or just snack on them. they're great with garlic salt instead of popcorn.

I don't eat grains either, except buckwheat, once in a while. I'll soak them overnight, rinse them, then dehydrate them and make raw krispy bars with raw cacao, agave and coconut oil. This is a treat.

Keep looking online for recipes -- there are tons!! Welcome to the forum and good luck!!

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 12, 2009 01:24PM

Great advice. Yes, the beans can definitely be sprouted. DO NOT eat them RAW. The grains can also be sprouted or soaked and dried.

All of the other veggies you mentioned are great to use in salads or for juicing, as already suggested. The most important thing with the raw diet is to make sure you have plenty of VARIETY so your nutrition needs are covered and also so you don't get bored.

Good luck and keep us posted. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 12, 2009 01:47PM

this is a great site for info on sprouting smiling smiley [www.sproutpeople.com]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 12, 2009 03:04PM

Mry_PL

with vegies which some of them can be eaten raw (lettuce, raddishes, celery tomatoes etc.)
the other one`s are hard to imagine eating raw: bok choy, silver beet, beetroot, beans, brocoli ? How do you eat it, as I can`t
imagine eating it raw....?

I like to juice hard veggies. I especially like carrot juice. :)

Posted by: kleinphi ()
Date: July 12, 2009 05:30PM

Any vegetable that has seeds or would have seeds in its original, natural form is a fruit. This includes tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados.

Buckwheat is pretty good in its sprouted form. I used to mix it with bananas and coconuts and used that dish as a replacement for something I used to eat, where I would mix oats (where they take the whole grain, kill it somehow so it won't sprout, and then roll it to turn it into a flake), some pasteurized (i.e. cooked, aka dead) and homogenized dairy product (I don't even remember exactly what I was using... I seem to remember it being sour cream, but I'm wondering now if that might not have tasted too acidic.), and a sweetener (again, I'm not sure what form of refined sugar or honey I may have been using).

If you sprout seeds, even something like rice or wheat, it can help a great deal in your transition. Eventually, you may undergo the same change as many of us have, where sprouts won't appeal to you all that much anymore.

Personally, I never liked "mature" sprouts; I would usually just soak the seeds in water for about 12 hours, rinse them, then let them sit for another 12 hours, then eat them. That way you also don't get much fungus or decay. Colloidal silver (which I make myself) is an alternative for combating fungus and bacteria, but I believe most people here would consider it bad because it's not organic, and I can understand their point, because lots of bacteria and some fungi are beneficial and should not be eradicated from our bodies or food. I just don't usually like them on my sprouts.

Posted by: kleinphi ()
Date: July 12, 2009 07:02PM

Sunflower seeds taste much better sprouted.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 12, 2009 11:31PM

Mry_PL,

The easiest raw foods to eat are fruits and salad vegetables. So this is a starting place.

Bok choy is hard to eat raw, but baby bok choy is quite enjoyable. When I eat broccoli, I only eat the florets and I cut them very small and put them into a salad. You can use a shredder with beets, or a spiralizer if you have one.

But for the most part, the raw vegetables that are going to be the easiest to digest are those that are commonly eaten in salads in their raw state - lettuce, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.

I used to eat sprouts and did my own sprouting when I first went raw, but nowadays I don't have the patience for it. I will buy clover and alfalfa sprouts, and bean sprouts at the market, but I don't eat a lot of them. My favorite greens are lettuces, and my favorite lettuce is romaine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables