Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Need support
Posted by: learning_raw ()
Date: July 13, 2009 05:18PM

Hi all, I turned fully raw begining of this year which makes about 7.5 months now. My only exception have been I would use fetta cheese on my salads but I dropped that also on the last couple of months. Now my diet is mostly fruits and some vegetables and very minor nuts and seeds. I lost my appetite for nuts so I stopped eating them for the most part.

Here is my challenge; After realizing that living below my calorie requirements I increased my fruit intake, specially bananas. That was a great revelation and I did get a very good increase on my overall health and feeling after i started to eat lot of bananas. Right now the main starchy fruits I am eating are bananas and papayas.

The problem now is I started loosing my apetite for bananas, I don't feel like eating a lot of them after eating a couple or little more I don't enjoy the taste and it does not feel right to eat more of something I'm not enjoying. This brings me to a challenge again that I'm living below my calorie requirements. Its very hard for me to get that starch from other fruits as the amount of fruit i need to consume starts going ridiculously high and I have not yet been able to fit that to my living in a conducive way.

Im 30 yrs old very athletic and I have crazy digestive fire. Before going raw I would be able to eat loaves of bread, meat and pretty much anything and would never gain weight.

Being on raw is making it very challenging for me to eat enough fruits to feed my system. I have been leaning on bananas for it so far (minimum 25 per day for the base of everything else that I am eating) but loosing my apetite for them puts me at a position that I'm not sure what will be best way for me to continue.

I started considering adding sweet potatoes yam etc. or sprouted quinoa. But I wanna do anything I can on the fully raw path before trying those options as I really enjoy raw diet.

I will very much appreciate any feedback and support you can provide
Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need support
Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: July 13, 2009 07:03PM

Do you eat Avocadoes? How about increasing your fats for a while rather than fruits as you are finding high fruit difficult to incorporate?
Do you eat smoothies?
As a temporary measure, you could blend bananas with other fruits/ greens (as this will disguise the taste) whilst you figure out your next step.

Hope you find a solution
ffx

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 13, 2009 07:58PM

Agree with The Fruit Faery, but really, since you don't say how much fruit you are eating, try increasing overall fruit ratio(if not fat) instead of just bananas; maybe to several pounds a day, and see if it helps. Good luck!

Date: July 13, 2009 09:10PM

Hmm ok I will try blending bananas with some strong greens to work with the taste. Do you have suggestions on which greens would go well with bananas?

I had reduced the avocado intake on the recent months also. I will see how having at least half avocado a day will work.

The reason I started leaning heavily on bananas was due to their higher calorie content. Maybe its the season, I liked eating them on winter-spring time, all in a sudden they started tasting awfully sugary to me when its summer now..

Thanks for working with me on this

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 13, 2009 09:13PM

The avocado is a fruit. About 75% of an avocado's calories come from fat: [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 13, 2009 09:44PM

Green Smoothies !!!!!! Blend a fav fruit with avocado and greens (spinach, kale, chard...etc)...

They are utilized more readiliy by the body due to the blending action.

The greens are power packed... I currently am living on green smoothies....consuming 1.5 - 2 gallons of them per day !

Date: July 13, 2009 09:58PM

It does not have to be strong greens. Romaine lettuce or spinach will do the trick!
You will need to experiment. I suggest that you start adding greens that you already like.

How about blending bananas with pineapple and maybe some citrus to mask the taste?
How about juicing veggies then blending with avocado to increase calorie intake?

whats your reasoning behind reducing avocado if you are concerned about calorie intake?

Have you tried sourcing your bananas from another outlet?
just a few ideas that spring to mind
good luck
ffx

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 13, 2009 10:00PM

learning_raw,

I personally love a ton of romaine with bananas, an English cucumber, and some chopped lemons in a smoothie--so fresh and so clean! Hope we're helping : )

Posted by: rawfoods ()
Date: July 13, 2009 10:09PM

It is tough to switch to a completely raw diet. My website has lots of helpful videos by raw food expert David Wolfe that may help in offering you much needed support and guidance: [healthyfoodrawdiet.com]. Hope this helps some!

[www.healthyfoodrawdiet.com]

Date: July 13, 2009 10:48PM

rawfoods Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is tough to switch to a completely raw diet. My
> website has lots of helpful videos by raw food
> expert David Wolfe that may help in offering you
> much needed support and guidance:
> [healthyfoodrawdiet.com]. Hope this helps
> some!

Its as tough as you want to make it!
Simply comfortably increase the amount of raw fruits and veggies in your diet.
Whats tough about that?
ffx

Date: July 13, 2009 11:07PM

I just made a big romaine and banana smoothie and it is a great!! Opens up a whole new world to experiment for 'summer' mixtures with various plants and fruits..

I'm greatful to all of your inputs. I've been in my head on this for days and its amazing how quick I was helped. Now this changes the situation and Im excited to continue my explorations on living food diet..

fruit fairy, you asked why i would reduce avocado. first I was not feeling dawned to it much due to its bulky fatty texture second i have 8/8/1 of graham and raw secrets of patenaude and my understanding is they don't suggest much fat daily, I might not be accurate in my understanding though as i recently got he books and only had the time yet to skim through.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 13, 2009 11:17PM

Most of the fat in an avocado is "good" monounsaturated fat. The "good" fats are a benefit to the body.

Date: July 14, 2009 08:50AM

learning_raw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just made a big romaine and banana smoothie and
> it is a great!! Opens up a whole new world to
> experiment for 'summer' mixtures with various
> plants and fruits..
>
> I'm greatful to all of your inputs. I've been in
> my head on this for days and its amazing how quick
> I was helped. Now this changes the situation and
> Im excited to continue my explorations on living
> food diet..

>
> fruit fairy, you asked why i would reduce avocado.
> first I was not feeling dawned to it much due to
> its bulky fatty texture second i have 8/8/1 of
> graham and raw secrets of patenaude and my
> understanding is they don't suggest much fat
> daily, I might not be accurate in my understanding
> though as i recently got he books and only had the
> time yet to skim through.

Pleased to know that you have found something to work with.
I had an idea that it was probably something that you had read that influenced your decision to reduce fat.
I have Graham's 8/1/1. I Love the book and have implemented changes in my diet due to reading it. I could not live on that little fat at present. Maybe something to aspire to in the future. However it appears to me that you can take two huge learning experiences from this situation
1. Read books thoroughly before implementing changes
2. (the most important) Listen to your own body. It will tell you what it needs!

I wish you continued success on your path
ffx

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: July 14, 2009 10:23AM

hi
it looks from your post as if you consider sweet potatoes and sprouted quinoa not raw..? Maybe I'm reading it wrong... cos you could eat raw sweet potato, grated/spiralised in salads, or juiced. Some folks use sprouted grains such as wheat, to add to salads, or make dehydrated bread and crackers etc.. raw sprouted oat groats are also a good filling source of low fat calories - but if you're following the Doug Graham route then I guess you're not keen on adding grains..?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables