Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The Perfect Pickler - confused about fermented foods ???
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 24, 2009 07:37PM

Just read this website suggested by EZ Rider - www.rawfoodexplained.com . Fantastic website btw. =)

Anyway, I just read #37 and am confused now because I just bought the Perfect Pickler and have 2 batches of veggies "perking" on the counter. Now what?

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Perfect Pickler - confused about fermented foods ???
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 24, 2009 07:59PM

plainlydressed,

From the site's main menu, "About": [www.rawfoodexplained.com]

This is "one person's opinion" so to speak based on the Natural Hygiene concepts espoused by TC Fry. Philip's understanding of fermentation is at odds with my Slavic brain's understanding of fermentation; my baba would say, "If it's rotting, you've done it wrong." Fermented foods have been clincially attributed to the health of many people's from, the Kalmuks, to the Hunza, to the Georgians, to the Quechua, I could go on. Lots of Raw Foodists use fermented foods, even after the transition phase, to seemingly no detrimental effect. Raw kimchee is frequently touted as an option. I think if one's immune system is particularily awry, these can be beneficial. It's certainly not the same thing as eating McDonald's. I think fresh, raw fruits, vegetables, seeds, and nuts should be the primary foodstuffs, but raw sauerkraut now and then won't kill you. It's a matter of proportion : )

Posted by: veganreikiangel ()
Date: July 24, 2009 08:05PM

Over the years Ive seen many extreme opinions and *facts* on this and that,to do with how one should eat with raw foods....and Ive come to the conclusion that the concept of *moderation* is the most important. Eat with moderation, and eat certain types of foods in moderation. Of course I think we all can agree that fresh fruits and veggies are the most important staples of our diets, and that nuts and seeds, while good, should be minimal, or varied according to our bodies constitutions, but still kept in the lower end. Fermented foods I feel are the same way. Some say theyre good, some say theyre bad. Its true, theyre not totally fresh. BUt they do have lots of beneficial bacteria and enzymes.....I cant say whether or not theyre great for you or not....I think its one of those things that can be really healthy in small quantities. When I was at the Hippocrates Health Institute, they had a red cabbage slaw that was quite tasty and nutritious. Im about to make some kim chee this week myself.
Anyways....just see how your body reacts. My friend Mark loves fermented foods, but doesnt do well with them so he generally avoids them...myself on the other hand does really well with them. So..ya just hafta listen to your body!
Love and LIght
Shekinah Love

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 24, 2009 08:27PM

love the pickler! i've got cucumber pickles in the fridge now and planning some beets next! love it love it love SO much. the fermenteds help w digestive issues i've had in the past. i adore them.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 24, 2009 09:09PM

Most people eating cooked foods will not notice any ill effects from eating pickles. Raw foodists, who include other fermented foods in their diet, will not see any ill effects from eating pickles. However, a raw foodist who eats only fresh products and doesn't include fermented foods in their diet will feel something different when eating a pickle.

There is no rule about whether you can eat them or not. If you like them, then continue to eat them. But if you find your taste for them disappears, then let the pickles go!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 24, 2009 09:42PM

hachiya,

Not cool, dude.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 24, 2009 11:43PM

hachiya? persimmon? huh?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables