Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

eating one and crave the other!!!
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: July 25, 2009 09:55PM

Hi there... i know that there is supposed to be a balance between salt sweet and sour... am i missing one??? but i also know that in the food combination world... sweet being fruit.. doesn't exactly combine so well with salty things... but lately i eat fruit... then i crave something salty... then i eat something salty and i crave something sweet... and i'm talking only with in the raw world... i don't take any sugar other than that from fruit... i do use Real Salt a highly mineralized salt...though i have cut back drastically... so is there away to balance things a bit better so i don't have this constant battle???

love laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eating one and crave the other!!!
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 25, 2009 10:59PM

Probably cutting sea salt out of your diet will help and get natural sodium from celery, tomatoes, melons, etc. I struggled with this for a while, too. smiling smiley

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: July 25, 2009 11:18PM

It is generally recognised that there are five primary taste sensations:
salty
sour
sweet
bitter
umami ( taste associated with protein foods such as meat or Parmesan cheese)

As I recall, there is something written in the 12 steps to raw food (Victoria Boutenko) about balancing out taste sensations.

ffx

Date: July 25, 2009 11:30PM

Something else that might help..
Do you have a dehydrator?
When i first went raw, I dehydrated veggies, then processed through a coffee grinder.
It made an excellent flavouring to sprinkle over salads or add to raw soups.

You could try making dressings by blending a variety of veggies, nuts, seeds or fruits to dress salads.
ffx

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: July 26, 2009 05:07AM

i haven't really gotten into the dehydration stuff... probably cause i don't have a dehydrator and can't really afford one at the moment... soups and dressings i have done... but mostly i just sit and eat a head of lettuce and a cucumber or what ever else i am into at the moment... very simple... though i did make a nice almond carrot curry pate today... but the fat makes my gallbladder ache... so i can't do so much of that...

bitter... that's the one i forgot... and i never heard of umami... i will check out the 12 steps of raw food thanks... i think i may cut back on my sweet fruits again... see if that helps...

thank you

love laugh and dream

Date: July 26, 2009 08:04AM

Hi luvyuu
I looked up the 5 tastes. It is in the 12 steps. VB identifies the 5th taste as spicy.

Quite honestly, i believe you are better off not dehydrating. Keeping it simple, as you are, is by far the way forward.
Not balancing bitter was one of the challenges I had. My bitter craving was dark bitter chocolate. That took a bit of working with!
As regards food combining its the fat and fruit combination that is best avoided. Sweet and salty is fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables