Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Smoothie Question smiling smiley
Posted by: Amarynth ()
Date: July 27, 2009 01:47AM

Good evening everyone. Just returned from LA so I'm a bit jet-lagged. This morning I made a wonderful green smoothie with organic baby spinach, parsley, banana and apple. The thing is, I made more than I could consume. Are these green smoothies alright to place in the refridge to drink tomorrow? I would assume they are, as it is veggies, fruit and water; but I just thought I'd make absolutely certain.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smoothie Question smiling smiley
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 27, 2009 02:45AM

Amarynth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .....Are these green
> smoothies alright to place in the refridge to
> drink tomorrow?
Cut an Apple and watch how quickly it starts to turn
brown....oxidation. I'd say eat what you Blend or Juice within
15 minutes of fracturing the food.
Low-speed juicing is more 'forgiving' then high-speed juicing or
blending....less air.....WY

Posted by: Amarynth ()
Date: July 27, 2009 03:23AM

Thanks!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: July 27, 2009 03:31AM

I agree with WY's post, oxidation is the problem.
If you put the juice or smoothie into a container and fill it ALL the way to the top and put the lid on so that there is no air or as little air as possible you cut down on the oxidation. Another thing that helps is to pre-freeze the container before putting the liquid into the container. When you make the smoothie, if possible, have everything ready so that you take the fresh liquid and pour it into the cold container and close it with as little delay as possible. After you put the filled container into the frig you can drink whats left of the smoothie as a fresh meal. If done properly you should be able to minimize the oxidation and still have nutrients left provided that not too many hours pass before consuming. Good luck.

Posted by: all4greens ()
Date: July 27, 2009 07:48AM

never a waste, compost in the gardensmiling smiley Suz

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 27, 2009 07:38PM

I always make 2 green smoothies first thing in the morning, one for breakfast on the way to work, and one for lunch at work. It keeps just fine in a quart jar in the fridge at work. On occasion, I didn't need the second smoothie if we had a drug luncheon that provided a nice raw salad or other raw ingredients that I could eat, so I will leave the smoothie in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch. Even though I know the enzymes break down quickly, there is still SOME nutrition (and definitely fiber) left in the creation, and I haven't had any problems drinking it for lunch the next day. Tastes fine. HOWEVER, I definitely wouldn't recommend doing that frequently or any longer than that. Definitely best to eat the fresh juice or smoothie immediately or within 4-6 hrs from making it. Seems to work ok for me that way during my work days.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 27, 2009 07:39PM

P.S.
You could also try freezing the remaining portion and make a frozen smoothie or dessert later. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: July 27, 2009 07:47PM

They do make a gadget that will vacuum the air out of a container that would be good for this purpose. I believe they sell them on discountjuicer.com

It is a hand pump sort of thing, I have seen them demonstrated on youtube.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables