Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Good foods to keep on hand for emergency cravings...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2009 01:10AM

I'm just wondering what some good emergency foods are. I like to get all my food for one or two days together, that way it doesn't go off. I try to very rarely keep fruit over that two-day period, they start tasting worse pretty fast as well (although I think refrigerated apples, grapes can last a good while, but refrigerated apples can hurt my teeth).

Let me bore you with a story: a bit earlier I felt a bit hungry and then suddenly I was starting to have all sorts of crazy thoughts of going down to the store or takeaway and binging "just this once". I nearly did it too!!! I'm almost out of food but it was delicious sultanas I found that I had since I had a semi-SAD diet and apples I had that saved me. I'm fine now, the moment passed. It's amazing how fast these things come/go.

Anyway, here's my experience of good foods for such a situation.... remember I'm only choosing ones that can last a while so you have them ready at all times.

1. Sultanas/figs/other dried: They're dried and I was very suspicious of them before. But they're great for high energy very fast, some might say too fast... but the harsh reality is that we don't have as much time to sit around for so long and eat as our ancestors did. There's also the advantage that they don't need to be chewed on the teeth as much and that they don't hang around in your stomach as much. They're very portable and long-lasting... so maybe they're one of the best of these foods? But they ARE still dried and must undergo a lot of processes that way, let's not forget that... their vitamin c for example is tiny compared to the real fruit.

2. Peanuts: They're delicious, portable, long-lasting, energy dense. I think the main disadvantages is that they're mostly protein, so you might still be hungry after them as they offer little sugar for a direct lift in energy and mood. Also there's the idea of fat and protein being "dirty fuels" AND the fact that they're legumes, personally I don't worry myself about them being legumes but I do worry about use not eating the fibre shell along with them as other primates do. They're also very addictive and could make you fat/too high in fats fast if you're not careful.

I can't think of any more myself, but I'd like your opinions. I had a terrible time once when I ate 150g (a pack) of macadamia nuts (100% macadamia nuts), I got very sick... so I'm wary of other nuts but would be willing to give them a try.

Obviously you can't just wrap the vast majority of fruit&veg up and expect them to last... but I'm just wondering what you might be able to do. Maybe certain plants last a very long time if kept airtight or something???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good foods to keep on hand for emergency cravings...
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 01, 2009 06:17AM

i always keep loads of zuchini around smiling smiley it has a long shelf life in or out of the fridge it seems and i can make some thing simple out of it ..or complicated smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: socalvdubgirl ()
Date: August 01, 2009 09:52AM

I keep all my citrus fruits in the refrigerator they keep for a long time.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: August 03, 2009 10:07PM

Chlorella powder and tomato powder are great because you can just add water to make a soup and they taste good on their own.

Seaweed, Dried fruit.

Bars-you can keep a batch in the freezer for when you need them.

Other snacks such as matter of flax crackers and hummus, granola, etc.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables