Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Beans
Posted by: Mry_PL ()
Date: August 06, 2009 02:57AM

Hi everybody reading this forum.
I have a question for you about beans and I hope there are some people out there to be able to give some advice.
Probably the easiest form would be if I divide it in into two groups:
fresh beans
dried beans

1.How do you guys eat fresh beans (broad beans or climbing beans) can you advice ?

2.How do you prepare dried beans ?
I know that one of the answers would be to sprout them but is there any other way of eating them ?
If no, that`s gonna be hard as I tried to look up some info on sprouting and doesn`t look so easy and you need some special equipment to do it properly...
how do you cope with sprouting and how often do you eat beans as they are great source of protein.
Here in Australia I can buy in coles plastic containers with different types of sprouts in it but I didn`t see any organic ones. Do you think is it worth buying organic dried beans and sprout them if I find out how or don`t bother and keep buying ready ones...
Can you also name a few other raw foods which have some protein in it ...

Thank you very much,
Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beans
Posted by: kleinphi ()
Date: August 06, 2009 03:16AM

Protein is contained in spirulina, goji berries, really all whole foods. You may want to check out what Tim VanOrden has to say about what he calls the protein myth.

I soak mung beans in warm (but not hot) water for 8 to 36 hours, then drain them and eat them. You can sprout them for several days, using simple or complicated methods, but I find they taste best when they are just starting to sprout. Actually, I often use home-made colloidal silver instead of water for sprouting seeds, but that is probably for another forum.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 06, 2009 11:49AM

I eat fruits and greens for all nutrients. You don't need isolated protein, nor foods that are too high in protein and fat and too low in carbs. I don't eat beans personally anymore, sprouted or not. But it's up to you.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 06, 2009 04:36PM

Peter,

I'm with kleinphi. I sometimes just germinate them and eat them in my salads. Soaking lentils for 8 to 12 hours is enough to soften them to a crunch consistency. I leave them in a moist towel inside a colinder for longer if I want to sprout them. I'm partial to mung bean sprouts and lentil sprouts as they tend sprout easier and in a shorter period of time.

Other sources of protein, Cherie Soria says that green kale-based juice has 9 grams of protein per 12 ounce serving and over 200 milligrams of calcium to boot.

Hemp seed is another favorite of mine, 11 grams per 2 tablespoons. Great in salads and soups. Manitoba Harvest is my favorite brand. Hope that helps.

Paul

Posted by: Lara_Hastings ()
Date: August 06, 2009 05:08PM

Eating beans and other sources high in protein would be a good idea, especially in the beginning. Otherwise one might go hungry all the time.

Sprouting is very easy actually, you don't need any other equipment than a big glass jar and some filter of some kind - like a piece of mosquito net.
---
Interesting thing that about lentils, I didn't know one could just soak them.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 06, 2009 06:44PM

they do this type of sprouting in Kindergarten, it's so not complicated.
once i've got the seeds in the jar i hardly even think about them at all. just rinse morning and night and that's it until they're ready to eat.

[hubpages.com]

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 06, 2009 06:53PM

Would you mind sharing a little more detail about how you sprout in a glass jar? Are we talking about a pint jar, a quarter jar or something larger? How many seeds do you put in the jar? How wet do you keep them? I need to learn how to sprout! How much light do they need or doesn't light matter for sprouting? Once they have sprouted, do you just rinse again and can you keep in the fridge for a few days?

Date: August 06, 2009 07:48PM

check the link i posted, it has step by step instructions. you can use any size jar you want depending on how many sprouts you'd like to make. use very little seeds, they grow quite a bit larger in size, soak overnight for most seeds and rinse 2x's daily, once in the morning and once at night. keep the jar on an inverted angle in the drainboard so water doesn't collect in the bottom and get funky. sprout in the light or the dark but if you want them green (alfala etc) you have to leave them in indirect sunlight for a day. keep in a sealed jar in the fridge for about the same amount of time lettuce keeps for.
once you try it you'll see how incredibly easy it is.

happy sprouting!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 06, 2009 08:16PM

I eat a handful or two of raw peanuts every few days or so. Peanuts are a legume, and it's easy to grow your own. The raw "jungle peanuts" are alflatoxin-free.

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 06, 2009 08:22PM

I checked out the link. It does look pretty easy. Do you have to purchase seeds or grains that are labelled "for sprouting". Last weekend I went raw shopping for the first time. I went to Whole Foods and purchased a lot of grains, seeds, nuts that were labelled raw. I think I will try to sprout some of the garbanzo beans and see if it works!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 06, 2009 09:36PM

Molli,

Good luck with the sprouting, but use a really small amount of garbanzos for a large jar or what have you. Because they are super-dehydrated, they can quadruple in size after soaking and break the container they are in as they expand!

Date: August 06, 2009 10:46PM

just so you know garbanzos are considered by the "experts" to be slightly toxic. so are kidney beans and soy beans, kale seeds too. take care what you sprout to eat. maybe get a book from the library to get you started.

Posted by: Mry_PL ()
Date: August 11, 2009 03:29AM

Thank you guys a lot for all your replies. It helped a lot. Cheers, Peter

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 11, 2009 11:24AM

peas

take them out of their little green boats
sing a song while you are doing this
a favorite song is good
because it may take some time

you can dance too if you like
using the counter to shell them

put them in a bowl
flavor with lemon if u wish
enjoy

hope this helps peetahh!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables