Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Something I DON'T like about eating raw...
Posted by: thenewguy ()
Date: August 08, 2009 03:08PM

FRUIT FLIES!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Something I DON'T like about eating raw...
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 08, 2009 04:02PM

Fruit flies attack cooked fooders, too. smiling smiley

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 08, 2009 04:20PM

Something I DON'T like about eating raw...

It seems like I'm drinking most of my meals. smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 08, 2009 06:08PM

thenewguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FRUIT FLIES!!!

Really? You don't like them?

You should probably know that human not-liking of insects is a purely psychological thing. The fossil record very clearly shows that man ate plenty of insects in his diet. Even today, the amount of people who eat insects outnumbers those that don't.

It's a purely psychological thing, the insects have plenty of good food in them, although they are living creatures and we have to respect that as well. But they certainly don't pose a threat to health. The only way insects can be bad for you is when they contain artificial/man-made material such as asbestos or "cleaners". We're sharing the same food as them, they have as much right to it as you do.

Don't worry about it, we're all here to learn.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 08, 2009 07:04PM

SuperInfinity,

I think thenewguy is referring to the fact that fruit flies are a nuisance. They breed exponentially and swarm in a gnatty way and get into everything, like glasses of water and bars of soap and fruit left for a second on a cutting board and, well, everything. However, they do live for only one day, so as soon as I see an infestation, I carry that banana or whatever outside so the fruit flies can breed out in Nature and I don't have to throw towels over all the uncovered edibles to keep them out : ).

Date: August 08, 2009 07:19PM

best fruit fly trap ever

mason jar with an inverted cone of paper (the opening should be very tiny, just fruit fly sized, and tape the cone's side to keep it in place. also tape around the mouth of the jar to tightly attach the paper cone) stick a piece of fruit in the bottom. the cone opening should be close to the fruit so they are more attracted to it. you'll have a colony in a jar in only days, their brains are too weeny to figure out how to escape. take it outside and dump it all in the compost. doesn't hurt the flies, just gets them out of your way.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: August 09, 2009 03:01AM

Fruit flies actually perform a valuable service: they inform you when your fruit is overripe/fermented.

If fruit flies are attracted to your fruit, it probably shouldn't be eaten.

Date: August 09, 2009 04:21AM

i personally don't believe that fruit flies are that picky. they will hover and swarm over anything, even an uncut, unripe melon. trust me, they're doing it in the kitchen right now. the mandarines too and some of them are not even ripe enough to eat. they also like the tomatoes And the greenish bananas. such a pain in my kitchen.

Date: August 09, 2009 04:49AM

In my experience, if fruit flies are hanging around fruit that looks fresh, there is at least one fruit that has a bruised or decaying portion that is attracting the flies to that vicinity.

Fruit flies will also rest on good fruit if the bruised fruit is nearby.

Fruit Fly Rap Sheet: [education.denniskunkel.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 09, 2009 08:02AM

Hey SuperInfinity:

i don't think all insects are healthy

cuz i wouldn't wish to dine on West nile Virus infected mosquitoes

unless of course you add some basil and maybe a pinch of garlic and heck

why not some jalapenos and heirloom tomatoes while we're at it?

mmmm MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

doliccccioussss!!!

Date: August 09, 2009 01:25PM

they love the compost bucket. Love it. can't do away with that though. we change it out every day and rinse it too, doesn't matter they can still smell the old fruit. dang it.

Date: August 09, 2009 05:09PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> they love the compost bucket. Love it. can't do
> away with that though. we change it out every day
> and rinse it too, doesn't matter they can still
> smell the old fruit. dang it.

That's it then. They are probably just "hanging out" on the fresh fruit but it's the compost bucket that's attracting them.

Date: August 09, 2009 05:48PM

you should see the compost outside OMG. talk about a "cloud" of fruit flies! it's fairly unbelievable. you can't breathe in when you are near it for fear of choking on the wee little swarmers. dude.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 09, 2009 06:42PM

fruit flies are an important compnent to eco system which allow our food wastes to be converted in to compost.

i've got tens of thousands of them hangin' out the compost area inside and outside of my house. i know the smart little spiders are weaving webs right next to where the fruit flies are congregating.....it all in balence but maybe not the way you are "addicted" to having it.

it was a bit annoying for me as well as i sat out on my back porch eating a canteloupe half with my spoon as a small group the pesky little critters were buzzing around trying to get a taste....still it was nice to be sitting there in the perfect weather enjoying a perfectly delicious breakfast.

jj

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 13, 2009 08:28PM

i just figured out a pretty cool way to get the fruit flies out of the kitchen.

i place two canteloupe halves, and a plastic bowl with veggie and fruit scraps in it... on the window sill and had my screen unlocked so that when i pushed on it it would fall to the ground....

then i waited an hour or so till all the fruit flies congregated over to the "bait" ...then i pushed everything out the window..and the screen popped out in the process ...and then i closed the window real fast.

it didn't hurt the screen and all the fruit flies are outside.

juicin' john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables