Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Muesli again... =(
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 15, 2009 02:56PM

Well I tried to keep off all peanuts, all dry fruits, all muesli, all animal protein (I confess I used to allow myself select ones)....

I thought I was used to munching down whole cartons of grapes, plums and apples, I thought that was oldhat for me. I was wrong!

I'm about 10 stone, it's not like I'm 14 stone and trying to keep up that weight!!! I try to do a good bit of exercise a day, nothing exceptional.

It was last night it happened. I'm not even really sure what took place or if I was even hungry at all. I was feeling low for some reason (the weather somehow makes me feel that way) and I just somehow thought that maybe the muesli would cure it. I was out of fruit. I really don't know.

Does anyone keep a scoresheet of when they slip up? And how often do they have to feel it in...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2009 02:57PM by SuperInfinity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Muesli again... =(
Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: August 15, 2009 03:13PM

I wouldent really be hard on your self for one slip up. Do you feel sick for eating it? if so thats engouh to make you not do it again. For me the complex carbs are a high risk of diarhea and blood food, so that makes it easier for me not to slip.

I don't think its wise to be hard on your self, that could drive you insane. For me I know why im doing this and its engouh. I don't want to be sick, but if i slip and I acidently eat animal protine I don't beat my self up about it. i just remind myself why Im raw and that I need to heal from this dreded desease.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 15, 2009 03:38PM

no scoresheets no point to them ..what for ? do we really need to be reminded of failure? the world around us is already so good at pointing out our flaws why add to that lol smiling smiley

get up dust yourself off and go get ;yourself some fresh produce and carry on smiling smiley

maybe get some greenbags so you can keep some around longer and you dont run out *giggle* tongue sticking out smiley (im just teasing !*)

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 15, 2009 07:43PM

Am I missing something here? What is wrong with eating muesli? I was under the impression that it is good stuff...

Date: August 15, 2009 07:59PM

It's not such a bad food, it's just that I can have two bowls brimful of it together... I used to think that muesli was basically raw, it even says "uncooked" on the back of the packet I get. However if you look up wikipedia, it usually contains rolled oats: [en.wikipedia.org] It doesn't say "rolled oats" on my list of ingredients, just "oats", which is slightly sneaky. They definitely look like those in the picture.

The rolled oats are "steamed then lightly toasted", which mightn't be HUGELY bad, but they're not raw. Uncooked is different apparently. The "wholewheat" and maize probably have similar things done to them. However... on that wikipedia page they say that sometimes they intentionally burn off the enzymes left in them so that they'll hold better in time. Then you have the mono-food aspect of it, which muesli is not... and the fact that some people say humans almost never ate even raw grains.

So I would say it's less good or around the same to eat as flavoured peanuts, yoghurt, dried fruit that you're not sure how it was dried, that sort of thing.

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Am I missing something here? What is wrong with
> eating muesli? I was under the impression that it
> is good stuff...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2009 08:02PM by SuperInfinity.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 15, 2009 09:10PM

SuperInfinity,

How about making your own raw muesli, with sprouted oats, buckwheat, ryeseed, soaked and dried nuts, and naturally dehydrated fruits? That way, if you eat muesli next time, you'll at least have the satisfaction of knowing it was not cooked. I say this as someone who's been criticized for being "way too self-disciplined" over the years: being too rigid with oneself is counterproductive--instead of making one perfect, it just neuters one's self-esteem.

Date: August 15, 2009 10:05PM

You're right Tamukha, but I think eating the right food is in a key way very different to being "self-disciplined" in other areas because if you're trying to do it in other areas you're bringing about an unnatural thing to yourself, you're overriding your own biology. That may be helpful at times of course, but it's still different because it's an artificial thing. I would argue that eating raw food doesn't require this when you're not addicted to other foods, or maybe it would require it in a small quantity but not very much. The unnatural thing with foods is NOT eating the raw thing. Eating raw is the NORMAL thing, it's only in the past few hundred/thousand years people stopped that. In the grand scheme of things, we're just being normal, other people today are abnormal junkies.

Self-discipline causing yourself to do things you don't want to do can be dangerous, time-consuming, unhealthy for body and mind. For example self-discipline might recommend that you lock yourself away and work all the time for days at a time. Another example might be getting up at 6am for intensive running... a person might think that would be good, but it's unnatural so I would guess it might do damage. For me self-discipline in an unnatural way is a "block" on my humanity.

I try to never do anything I don't want to do, unfortunately this can't always be the case in the modern world. For people who are a long time on raw foods, they just view things like biscuits as "inedible". IMO there's nothing in the human psyche that questions that if you haven't eaten them for a long time. After all during evolution if a person cannot eat an object... then it's inedible to them. They'll forget about it if they're not addicted. They might "know" on a symbolic level that it's edible, but that doesn't mean it'll turn on the "I want to eat it badly" part of the brain.

So to sum up, I wouldn't agree that eating the right food goes hand in hand with self-discipline but I definitely understand and thank you for your point. IMO a bad way of thinking about it is: "if I eat the cream, that'll be naughty and self-gratifying", because most humans love being those things from time to time. The way people should think is: "That food that I think I see does not exist. It is a LIE. It LIES to the body by appearance and by taste. The LIES tell my body it's getting so much nutrients from the taste when it is NOT. Thinking I'll be better off eating that is just superstition and just a myth". Sorry for going on, but I obviously need to sort this out myself as well!!!

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SuperInfinity,
>
> How about making your own raw muesli, with
> sprouted oats, buckwheat, ryeseed, soaked and
> dried nuts, and naturally dehydrated fruits? That
> way, if you eat muesli next time, you'll at least
> have the satisfaction of knowing it was not
> cooked. I say this as someone who's been
> criticized for being "way too self-disciplined"
> over the years: being too rigid with oneself is
> counterproductive--instead of making one perfect,
> it just neuters one's self-esteem.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2009 10:15PM by SuperInfinity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables