Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Coconut Oil ???
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: August 16, 2009 02:54AM

I've been reading alot about this "super" oil in various places and have to admit that I never gave it much thought, personally. I LOVE coconut and coconut water, but never really thought much about the OIL. I know there are places to purchase it "raw" and unprocessed. I've been reading how much people love it and how it supposedly cures multitudes of ailments and that it also tastes good.

I'm looking for any information and personal experiences with this product, if you don't mind sharing. Thanks so much.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coconut Oil ???
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 16, 2009 02:50PM

plainlydressed,

I use extra virgin coconut oil primarily for home made beauty products, like face moisturizer. It does a good job, because it is light, slightly exfoliant, and anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Because of those last two reasons, it works pretty well as a foot moisturizer and as a topical treatment for eczema. I have put it on insect bites and mild sunburn, and found it's helped.

I have used coconut oil in making cooked Asian recipes, but have found no reason to put it into raw foods recipes where coconut butter(a combo of coconut oil and meat) was available. I have a low tolerance for that kind of solid fat, as far as edibles go, but there are people who put it into smoothies, or melt it gently and fold it into raw carob or raw cacao to make rich raw desserts, so it is useful that way.

There is some use of coconut oil with convalescent populations, because of its medium-chain triglyceride structure and high lauric acid content, but there's little clinical data on that; there's probably anecdotal info from different cultures where coconuts are a staple crop, like Hawaii or India.

Hope you find the info you are looking for!

Date: August 16, 2009 05:24PM

Thanks so much for the helpful information. That's generally what I was looking for. If it works so well for you in cosmetic purposes, do you happen to know how it would work on Acne and Oily/Acne-Prone adult skin? That has been the eternal search for me.... to find THE product to help my adult acne and oily skin. Being 100% Raw and juicing has helped alot, but not completely. I still have to use all-natural skin care products specifically for oily/acne adult skin. Anyway, thanks so much for the helpful information and I'll look forward to more. I've never used the stuff, so wasn't sure how to incorporate it into my diet.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: August 16, 2009 06:27PM

Coconut Oil is rich in antioxidants, vitamin E & lauric acid. Virgin coconut oil helps your body use and absorb vitamins, amino acids, calcium magnesium, & especially essential fatty acids. Virgin coconut oil improves digestion and supports the immune system. Since Coconut oil naturally fights off viruses, bacteria, & fungal overgrowth, experts believe it's essential during a bird flu outbreak or other pandemic. Virgin Coconut Oil improves the utilization of blood sugar and can lessen the symptoms of hypoglycemia. Virgin coconut oil promotes weight loss, helps maintain a healthy body weight & improve thyroid issues. As a body lotion & massage oil, it leaves skin soft & smooth, relieving dry skin itchiness, prevents wrinkles & heals other skin problems. As a hair conditioner, coconut oil leaves hair soft & silky. A small amount of virgin coconut oil massaged into the scalp at night conditions both the hair & scalp & stimulates hair growth.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 17, 2009 04:07PM

I drink Olive Oil, and use Coconut Oil as a lubricant
for my Juicers. Olive Oil stays liquid in the Body, whereas Coconut
Oil solidifies. However, if you must...CoconutOil-online.com has the
Best. Also, this video may help (prepare to be bored)....WY

[www.rawguru.com]

[www.coconutoil-online.com]

Posted by: eecho ()
Date: August 17, 2009 05:12PM

WY,

Coconut oil freezes at 77 degrees F. Since your body is 98F, its solidifying nature is not an issue. If your body temp is down to 77, you have bigger problems on your hand then how much coconut oil you are eating, lol

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 17, 2009 06:44PM

eecho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WY,
>
> Coconut oil freezes at 77 degrees F. Since your
> body is 98F, its solidifying nature is not an
> issue.
That's not what the noted Ph.D says at 4:40 to 5:00 into
this clip....WY

[www.rawguru.com]

Date: August 17, 2009 07:41PM

I will watch the clip, however traditional doctors have PhDs too so that only does so much for me.

Date: August 17, 2009 07:52PM

eecho,

In the U.S. traditional doctors don't typically have PhDs as well as MDs or DOs. Doctor Dina is a chiropractor and a long term raw foods vegan. It's an informative clip.

Date: August 17, 2009 07:56PM

Ok well either way it really doesn't matter, I mostly just want to be right.

Date: August 17, 2009 08:00PM

eecho,

I mostly just want to be right

Fair enough : ) I think coconut oil is one of those things that is such-and-such in a clinical setting, but enters a sort of "mystery zone" in the human body where its effects cannot be charted. You have to use your judgment about how you feel on it to decide whether it should be a part of the repertoire. But it's still neat to know the science behind its nature.

Date: August 17, 2009 10:44PM

Ok, I watched the video, and I must concede that what he says makes sense. I'm not quite sure about the melting point he's talking about, since coconut oil as a whole becomes liquid much cooler than that (77 is what I found). However, perhaps some of the smaller elements still remain solid, I'm not sure how that works.

I can also reason that coconut oil might not be "ideal" as he says since it ia processed, removed from the rest of the coconut which might be necessary in order to deal with it properly.

So yes, not ideal, but not bad. That's my revised opinion. But definitely not "super" or magical as might be claimed by the ones selling it, we can definitely agree on that.

Date: August 18, 2009 12:49AM

YIKES !! I forgot what we were talking about ??!! winking smiley

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 18, 2009 01:12AM

plainlydressed,

If you are not eating coconut oil at this point, there is no reason to start. It is not the super food that people who sell it claim it is.

Date: August 18, 2009 01:24AM

Thank you Bryan. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: August 18, 2009 02:23PM

One of the claims of coconut oil venders is that it is a good cooking oil and healthier than a number of other oils that might be hydrogenated or less heat stable.

For those rare occasions when I make pancakes it works to take a slice of fresh coconut and rub the pan with it.

I've made the oil (sort of) fresh in my JL juicer, which works well enough as long as the temperature is above 76 degrees F, the melting point of coconut oil. The oil or milk and coconut flour very roughly separate out depending on a lot of factors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables